Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Safale K-97  (Read 12625 times)

TXFlyGuy

Safale K-97
« on: February 19, 2020, 03:02:53 pm »
Anyone used this, K-97?
We will be brewing a Kolsch and want the best yeast.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Safale K-97
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 03:35:57 pm »
I just used K-97.  Fermentation took 13 days to reach final gravity at the relatively low average temperature for this yeast of 53 F.  Bottled 11 days ago.  Popped the first bottle 2 days ago.  It came out great, I'm very happy with it.  There is a slight haze -- the yeast needs extra time and/or gelatin to help it settle out.  I used gelatin in the primary but honestly it wasn't as effective as I had hoped, not sure why.  Still tastes a little yeasty / bready from the yeast.  But other than that it is very clean tasting, zero diacetyl or sulfur, and no real noticeable fruitiness, at least when fermented real low as I did at 53 F.  It did NOT turn out with an odd tartness as I have experienced with many other dried yeasts; yet on the other hand, I mashed relatively high at 5.5 and did not adjust pH in the kettle either, so that may or may not be part of my satisfaction.  Note: I have theorized that this yeast is nearly equivalent to Wyeast 1007, and based on my experience with both, albeit separated by a few years, the K-97 seems to have performed VERY similarly to the 1007.  So yes I still think these two are very closely related to where they could be considered “equivalents”.  YMMV.

Cheers, hope you try it and enjoy it as I have.  I will not hesitate to use it again in the future for beers that I want to be clean, bready, and lager-like.  Potential drawbacks are not much different from Wyeast 1007 or 2565 -- not the quickest flocculation, hazy, some yeasty breadiness, at least for the first couple months, after which maybe most of that should settle out.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:38:45 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 04:19:12 pm »
I just used K-97.  Fermentation took 13 days to reach final gravity at the relatively low average temperature for this yeast of 53 F.  Bottled 11 days ago.  Popped the first bottle 2 days ago.  It came out great, I'm very happy with it.  There is a slight haze -- the yeast needs extra time and/or gelatin to help it settle out.  I used gelatin in the primary but honestly it wasn't as effective as I had hoped, not sure why.  Still tastes a little yeasty / bready from the yeast.  But other than that it is very clean tasting, zero diacetyl or sulfur, and no real noticeable fruitiness, at least when fermented real low as I did at 53 F.  It did NOT turn out with an odd tartness as I have experienced with many other dried yeasts; yet on the other hand, I mashed relatively high at 5.5 and did not adjust pH in the kettle either, so that may or may not be part of my satisfaction.  Note: I have theorized that this yeast is nearly equivalent to Wyeast 1007, and based on my experience with both, albeit separated by a few years, the K-97 seems to have performed VERY similarly to the 1007.  So yes I still think these two are very closely related to where they could be considered “equivalents”.  YMMV.

Cheers, hope you try it and enjoy it as I have.  I will not hesitate to use it again in the future for beers that I want to be clean, bready, and lager-like.  Potential drawbacks are not much different from Wyeast 1007 or 2565 -- not the quickest flocculation, hazy, some yeasty breadiness, at least for the first couple months, after which maybe most of that should settle out.

Our plan is to brew a Kolsch. We know that this yeast does not flocculate well, or rapidly. As a Kolsch is bright and clear, they suggested filtration, which we will do.
Stay tuned!

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 07:23:06 am »
I have used K-97 a few times and I like it as well. I have only used it near 60* but I would not be afraid to use it warmer for a Kolsch maybe to get a bit more delicate fruit notes for the style. Other than that it is a clean, nice yeast.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 07:25:38 am »
I’ve also used it. My experience mirrors Porterhouse’s. I have a cpl packs I plan to use soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 08:15:39 am »
IMO, if you want the best yeast for kolsch, it's WY2565
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 08:29:17 am »

I agree. I have used K97 and have not had the best experience with it though I have admitted not tried a kolsch with it. May have to revisit it
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 08:46:13 am »

I agree. I have used K97 and have not had the best experience with it though I have admitted not tried a kolsch with it. May have to revisit it

I don't have a problem with K97 itself.  It just doesn't make a beer that tastes like kolsch to me.  Disclaimer: I have not tried every kolsch.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 09:11:40 am »

I don't have a problem with K97 itself.  It just doesn't make a beer that tastes like kolsch to me.  Disclaimer: I have not tried every kolsch.

Have you (or anyone) brewed two batches, using K-97 in one, and W-2565 in the other? That would be the best way to compare.
I have zero experience with either of these, but lot's of experience with Wyeast in general.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 09:26:30 am »

Have you (or anyone) brewed two batches, using K-97 in one, and W-2565 in the other? That would be the best way to compare.
I have zero experience with either of these, but lot's of experience with Wyeast in general.

I also agree WY2565 is a great Kolsch yeast. I prefer it over the White Labs. I haven't done side by side with K-97 and 2565, but I have done side by side with White Labs and K-97...I preferred the k-97...but there are two White Labs Kolsch yeast, not sure which it was. Doesn't mean it's more Kolsch or better, but I did like the K-97 more for that beer. Omega has an awesome Kolsch yeast, I think it's more like 2565...it made the best Kolsch I ever made, but also one of the best beers I ever put out.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 09:31:52 am »

I agree.  It doesn't taste like a Kolsch.  Very tasty but not a Kolsch.  In fact, I've even decided to recategorize mine with K-97 as an American Blonde Ale instead, for purposes of entering into BJCP comps or whatever.  Just a clean, refreshing, lager-like ale.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 09:56:16 am »

I agree.  It doesn't taste like a Kolsch.  Very tasty but not a Kolsch.  In fact, I've even decided to recategorize mine with K-97 as an American Blonde Ale instead, for purposes of entering into BJCP comps or whatever.  Just a clean, refreshing, lager-like ale.
In that case, is there any advantage over 34/70 or S-189 lager yeast?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 09:56:41 am »
August of 2018 we tried a boatload of Kölsch in Cologne. Some are fruity, Früh, some have noble Hop aroma (Malzmüle), some are malty (Peters), some don't have much going on besides easy to drink (Sion).

Isn't K-97 closely related to WY-1007? Dmtaylor shows that on his speadsheet. 1007 is from Zum Uerige, a very clean yeast.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 09:58:50 am »

I have used each in separate batches.  K97 doesn't have the distinctive flavor I associate with kolsch.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 10:00:34 am »
August of 2018 we tried a boatload of Kölsch in Cologne. Some are fruity, Früh, some have noble Hop aroma (Malzmüle), some are malty (Peters), some don't have much going on besides easy to drink (Sion).

Isn't K-97 closely related to WY-1007? Dmtaylor shows that on his speadsheet. 1007 is from Zum Uerige, a very clean yeast.

Yes, reportedly K97 has the same heritage as 1007...an alt yeast.  You were who I had in mind when I said I haven't tried a lot of kolsch in situ.

www.dennybrew.com