Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary tastes like Wine  (Read 873 times)

Offline Insta Buzz

• 1st Kit
Secondary tastes like Wine
« on: June 19, 2020, 09:39:38 am »
Hey all,

To get to the issue I have a beer in secondary that tastes like wine. It tasted and smelled amazing 3 days ago.

June 2, I brewed a wheat extract. Delta boiling hops and Mouteka for finishing. Dried lemon peel added at end of boil. OG 1.052. Cooled to 70 degrees and yeast pitched. 1 pack Mangrove Jack Liberty Bell. Fermented for 9 days. Most activity from 24 to 48 hours. Temp range was 68 to 72 (63 to 74 is manufacturer best results range). FG 1.014. Taste and smell were great.

Racked to secondary on top of 1 cup honey and 1 zested lemon peel. New gravity 1.020 I expected a small secondary because of the honey. But nothing happened. Gravity stayed the same for 3 days. Taste and aroma at this time were excellent. I tried swirling it, heating it up a few degrees, nothing worked to get the yeast working. I was scared to get bottle bombs if i mixed priming sugar in with unfermented honey, so I pitched a little less than half a packet of yeast. That was almost 4 days ago and now it tastes like wine. Gravity is 1.016. So it did ferment. Now my question....is it still early enough in the fermentation that maybe the yeast will clean up that flavor? Or did I ruin a great beer....lol. Oh the joys of brewing.

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Secondary tastes like Wine
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 06:24:48 am »
Hey all,

To get to the issue I have a beer in secondary that tastes like wine. It tasted and smelled amazing 3 days ago.

June 2, I brewed a wheat extract. Delta boiling hops and Mouteka for finishing. Dried lemon peel added at end of boil. OG 1.052. Cooled to 70 degrees and yeast pitched. 1 pack Mangrove Jack Liberty Bell. Fermented for 9 days. Most activity from 24 to 48 hours. Temp range was 68 to 72 (63 to 74 is manufacturer best results range). FG 1.014. Taste and smell were great.

Racked to secondary on top of 1 cup honey and 1 zested lemon peel. New gravity 1.020 I expected a small secondary because of the honey. But nothing happened. Gravity stayed the same for 3 days. Taste and aroma at this time were excellent. I tried swirling it, heating it up a few degrees, nothing worked to get the yeast working. I was scared to get bottle bombs if i mixed priming sugar in with unfermented honey, so I pitched a little less than half a packet of yeast. That was almost 4 days ago and now it tastes like wine. Gravity is 1.016. So it did ferment. Now my question....is it still early enough in the fermentation that maybe the yeast will clean up that flavor? Or did I ruin a great beer....lol. Oh the joys of brewing.
As they say time heal everything, is to soon, the yeast gonna clean it up, I don't know how much, but is to early to take conclusions, I would ramp the temp up wait a week then go back to the secondary temp. Please give a feedback of how is going, and which yeast did you put in the secondary?

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
Re: Secondary tastes like Wine
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 01:18:45 pm »
i heard the time "heals everything" thing ever since i started brewing and i think its one of the most untrue fallacies in home brewing myths, time is not on your side with beer, its oxidizing minute by minute day by day, yes it does peak and that may take some TIME but if the beer is bad on day 20 probably gonna be bad on day 40 and will probably get worse,i heard many people say their beer was terrible and they let it sit for weeks and miraculously it was the best beer they ever made, never happened to me, it might smooth out or some flavors blend a bit but never changed the character to any significant degree, same beer just smoother, i think the time heals all thing is geared to people who just started to help with their patience, anyway at this point its at 1.020 i say if its good drink it and dont get stuck on this one beer go to the next while you drink this one
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle