Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Water  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Beer Water
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2020, 09:35:19 pm »
Your gonna get arguments with those universal truths. Dudes here will pick that apart like a chicken on a June bug.

For example: duplicating water from a specific source really doesn’t matter because you don’t know what the brewer did to the water to create their brewing liquor.

...and on and on... right down the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The other interesting stat I found is that 55% of home brewers do nothing to their water. Guess I’m in that group. Brewing for 20 plus years and the only thing we do is filter our tap water.
My tap cones in at 300-600 ppm tds (400 as of last weekend), not doing anything isn't really an option where I'm at.

I believe the RV hose Drew is talking about is a white, food grade garden hose, rather than a run of the mill hardware store garden hose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2020, 10:41:53 pm »
Depending on how a the water treatment plant, chloramines are only present when both chlorine and ammonia are used for disinfection but I would defer to Martin on that.
 Can you elaborate on what an RV hose is and what kind of water you use?

I believe the RV hose Drew is talking about is a white, food grade garden hose, rather than a run of the mill hardware store garden hose.

Wilbur got the hose - it's just a white potable water hose sold for RV use (bought mine at the ACE near my house). Don't use water passed through a regular old green garden house! (Also, Wilbur, sorry about your water.. that's a hard situation.. sorry about the word play too [not really])

For me I use good old fashioned Los Angeles Metropolitan Water District water. Given the amount of miles that stuff is running, you best believe they're using chloramine for sanitation.

Mine reads:
Ca: 47.0
Mg: 12.0
Na: 51.0
BiCarb: 187.0
Carb: 0.7
Sulfate: 78.0
Chloride: 35.0
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2020, 04:18:42 am »
Happiness is in the eyes of the beer holder.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MY NEW MOTTO!!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2020, 05:46:11 am »

MY NEW MOTTO!!

Guess we are lucky, as the water we have appears to be suitable for brewing a variety of beers, sans treatment. Our brews are primarily lighter beers, mostly lagers.

But we are quite anal about yeast health, pitching rate, sanitation, quality (fresh) ingredients, and temperature control. This probably has contributed to our overall brewing success as much as the water quality.

There was an interesting post on Brulosophy about water treatment. Showing that a number of tasters could not differentiate between beers with treated vs. untreated water.

http://brulosophy.com/2018/10/25/water-chemistry-treated-vs-untreated-in-new-england-ipa-the-bru-club-xbmt-series/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:49:03 am by Myron Oleson »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2020, 08:20:54 am »

MY NEW MOTTO!!

Guess we are lucky, as the water we have appears to be suitable for brewing a variety of beers, sans treatment. Our brews are primarily lighter beers, mostly lagers.

But we are quite anal about yeast health, pitching rate, sanitation, quality (fresh) ingredients, and temperature control. This probably has contributed to our overall brewing success as much as the water quality.

There was an interesting post on Brulosophy about water treatment. Showing that a number of tasters could not differentiate between beers with treated vs. untreated water.

http://brulosophy.com/2018/10/25/water-chemistry-treated-vs-untreated-in-new-england-ipa-the-bru-club-xbmt-series/

As always, I must say that's a data point, not a conclusion.  I've participated in tests that were the opposite.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2020, 08:40:04 am »

This is interesting, but not my experience either.  My mash pH before acid additions for that grist would be at least 5.7, which leads to wort darkening and harsher bitterness.  I remember a long time ago someone testing out Rahr for base malt and saying that it came in lower than the expected 5.8 distilled mash pH.  Perhaps it's better suited for beers with minimal water additions.

I do think Cl:SO4 ratio is blown out of proportion.  But I can definitely tell the difference in a beer with 80ppm chloride and 0 sulfate, which is my well water by default, vs one with less extreme amounts.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:41:50 am by narvin »

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2020, 09:04:57 am »
I like the taste of Gerolsteiner. I wouldn't brew with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2020, 10:23:22 am »
Yes...water that tastes bad would not make good brewing water. Water that tastes good might make good brewing water. Then again, it might not.

In our case, the charcoal filtered tap water tastes very good, and will make excellent beer. Yes, we are fortunate.