Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Timothy Taylor's Landlord Inspired  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Timothy Taylor's Landlord Inspired
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2022, 05:08:46 am »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11209.msg139369#msg139369
This is a link to a recipe by hopfenundmalz (Jeff) who has been to the brewery and made notes.
I also used Styrian Goldings and Sterling hops in mine.
Thanks!
I would be interested to hear his (or anyone's) thoughts on the use of the Carastan.  I had planned on leaning only on Golden Promise (with less than 1% of Carafa for color).  Does the Carastan bring a necessary flavor or is it there for color only? 
I've seen many "clone" recipes for this beer and the target SRM's seem to fall somewhere between 5 and 9.  I was shooting for about 6-7.  Am I not coppery enough?  Internet pictures are not very helpful.  Who has a bottle on hand???   :)

There was some speculation  on "Jim's Beer Kit", which is a British homebrew  forum, that TTL could use crystal malt made from Golden Promise barley. That would fulfill the claim of all Golden Promise. There was other speculation that the color  is from a long boil. The color I remember was very similar  to Pliny the Elder, so say SRM 7.
Thanks Jeff. If TT is making crystal from GP…well that would be both brilliant and devious.   :)

Having no memory of TTL, I’m not sure why I’m trying to create a recipe inspired by it.  Fool’s errand, I suppose. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2022, 09:47:57 am »
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11209.msg139369#msg139369
This is a link to a recipe by hopfenundmalz (Jeff) who has been to the brewery and made notes.
I also used Styrian Goldings and Sterling hops in mine.
Thanks!
I would be interested to hear his (or anyone's) thoughts on the use of the Carastan.  I had planned on leaning only on Golden Promise (with less than 1% of Carafa for color).  Does the Carastan bring a necessary flavor or is it there for color only? 
I've seen many "clone" recipes for this beer and the target SRM's seem to fall somewhere between 5 and 9.  I was shooting for about 6-7.  Am I not coppery enough?  Internet pictures are not very helpful.  Who has a bottle on hand???   :)

There was some speculation  on "Jim's Beer Kit", which is a British homebrew  forum, that TTL could use crystal malt made from Golden Promise barley. That would fulfill the claim of all Golden Promise. There was other speculation that the color  is from a long boil. The color I remember was very similar  to Pliny the Elder, so say SRM 7.
Thanks Jeff. If TT is making crystal from GP…well that would be both brilliant and devious.   :)

Having no memory of TTL, I’m not sure why I’m trying to create a recipe inspired by it.  Fool’s errand, I suppose.
Speculation by a English Homebrewer. Long boil is another speculation.

It is a very nice pint.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 10:45:19 am »
Since you’ll be a bit off there anyway, why not just go your own way and add some English Med or Dark Crystal to your base. Plenty of Bitters have Pale Malt and some Crystal.

But Yorkshire bitters don't have much crystal, certainly not dark crystal - they're much drier than southern bitters, and generally much more minerally, be generous with the gypsum. If you look at pictures on Untappd, particularly of the cask version, you'll see how pale Landlord is.

See this piece for some more insight on how they do things at the brewery - there's also a nice video from the brewery kicking round YouTube.

Thanks for the tour link. The use of Invert #2 was new to me.

Me too.