Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Irish Dry Stout - Yeast Help  (Read 1728 times)

TXFlyGuy

Irish Dry Stout - Yeast Help
« on: February 21, 2020, 03:07:20 pm »
Will 1056 yeast be appropriate for a dry stout? It is my favorite ale yeast.

If 1056 is not good, please suggest what the best choice would be...both in Wyeast and Safale.

Thanks for your help!

p.s. My brewing partner wants to make a Guinness type beer for his wife.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Irish Dry Stout - Yeast Help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 03:14:24 pm »
sure, it will be fine
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 04:24:00 pm »
Yep. The yeast character will be pretty well hidden in a dry stout, so it will work just fine.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 04:29:41 pm »
That is good news. Thanks for the advice!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 05:42:28 pm »
I don't think yeast is very important in stout.  I just use whatever's cheap.  Like Munton's.  Turns out great.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 07:19:23 pm »
I don't think yeast is very important in stout.  I just use whatever's cheap.  Like Munton's.  Turns out great.

Good to know!

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 08:26:46 pm »
i agree with everyone, i used 1056, british ale, irish ale, and a bunch of different dry yeasts and all beers where thumbs up, my personal favorite is 1084 irish for irish stout
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 08:06:58 am »
I too agree. 1056 is fine.  I have used it in stouts as well.  I personally like 1028 for my porters and stouts but that is my palate. Made a RIS with S-04 not to long ago and it also came out great.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 08:08:10 am »
... my personal favorite is 1084 irish for irish stout

Good to know!  I'm kegging a 1084 Irish Stout today.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 08:09:39 am »
... my personal favorite is 1084 irish for irish stout

Good to know!  I'm kegging a 1084 Irish Stout today.

I finally gave up using that yeast because I always got diacetyl from it.  Did you detect that?  Maybe it's just me.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 08:16:51 am »
I will be kegging this beer later today and I will pull a sample and report back.  1084 would have to throw a lot of diacetyl to punch through a Stout grain bill, no? 

I'm assuming you have fermented this at various temps and time?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 08:57:24 am »
I will be kegging this beer later today and I will pull a sample and report back.  1084 would have to throw a lot of diacetyl to punch through a Stout grain bill, no? 

I'm assuming you have fermented this at various temps and time?

It's been many years since I used it.  IIRC the diacetyl (and IIRC a kinda pineapple flavor) did come through in a stout.  Back then I fermented at room temp so probably high 60s.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 12:51:13 pm »
So to report back:

I set 1084 at 59-60 ambient for about 4 days until fermentation started to slow.  I then moved to 67 ambient for 4 days in hopes that it would finish up and clean up.  I then put it back at 59-60 for 6 more days until I had a free Keg to rack it to.  Racked today.

Taste was pure stout, dry with roast up front, showing more chocolate as the sample warmed.  Though I'm no Cicerone, there was no diacetyl that I could detect.
But...
I only got 63% attenuation.  Hmmm.  Maybe 59-60 ambient was too cold?  Maybe it just wasn't a fermentable enough wort?  My guess would be the wort, mainly.  But probably a combination.  Mash was 152.

Taste was very promising though, so I still believe this will be a good beer.  Maybe just an Irish Stout instead of an Irish Extra Stout.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 06:36:52 am »
So to report back:

I set 1084 at 59-60 ambient for about 4 days until fermentation started to slow.  I then moved to 67 ambient for 4 days in hopes that it would finish up and clean up.  I then put it back at 59-60 for 6 more days until I had a free Keg to rack it to.  Racked today.

Taste was pure stout, dry with roast up front, showing more chocolate as the sample warmed.  Though I'm no Cicerone, there was no diacetyl that I could detect.
But...
I only got 63% attenuation.  Hmmm.  Maybe 59-60 ambient was too cold?  Maybe it just wasn't a fermentable enough wort?  My guess would be the wort, mainly.  But probably a combination.  Mash was 152.

Taste was very promising though, so I still believe this will be a good beer.  Maybe just an Irish Stout instead of an Irish Extra Stout.

I would guess your temps were a bit on the cool side, with the ideal range for that yeast being 62F - 72F. But you stated ambient...what was the actual temp of the beer? It is our experience that the fermenting beer will be 5 to 8 degrees warmer than the ambient temps.

We just love our new conical fermenters with thermowells!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 07:54:27 am »
So to report back:

But...

I would guess your temps were a bit on the cool side, with the ideal range for that yeast being 62F - 72F. But you stated ambient...what was the actual temp of the beer? It is our experience that the fermenting beer will be 5 to 8 degrees warmer than the ambient temps.

We just love our new conical fermenters with thermowells!

No idea what the actual fermenting beer temp was.  For a 2.5 gal batch, I will assume a few degrees warmer than ambient which would put it in the useful, low estery range for 1084.

The reason I believe the low attenuation has more to do with the wort is that I find I get on average 10% less attenuation with my darker beers (porters and stouts) than I will get with lighter styles, regardless of yeast or temperature (a whole other topic!). Still, 63% was the lowest I ever got with any beer, dark or otherwise, so this time there might be more to it than just the wort.