Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fantasy Draft Black IPA with Coconut Challenge  (Read 768 times)

Offline PWTavern

• 1st Kit
Fantasy Draft Black IPA with Coconut Challenge
« on: March 03, 2020, 10:06:05 am »
Hi everyone, my homebrew club hosted a Fantasy Homebrew Draft, where each brewer drafted an ingredient round by round. The rules are you have to brew with and only with 6 of 8 ingredients you drafted. Finings and Water agents are exempt. I ended up with the following ingredients:

1. Coconut

2. Optic Malt

3. Caramel/Crystal 80

4. Midnight Wheat

5. Chinook

6. Galaxy

7. Multi-Strain Yeast Culture/Blend

8. Coffee Beans

My thoughts immediately went to Black IPA with Coconut.  In researching the style, I came across the  recipe for Stone Sublimely Self Righteous in Mitch Steele's book. I have modeled my recipe after it. My recipe is as  follows: 

13 lbs 12 oz Optic Malt 
10 ounces Midnight Wheat 
10  ounces C-80 

Hops:   
 1.25 oz Chinook at 90 
 .5 oz Chinnok at 30 
 .25 oz Chinook at 5 
 2.00 oz Galaxy Whirlpool for 20 Minutes 

Ambient Fermentation at 68F for 14 Days, Transfer to Secondary to age on  2 lbs Toasted Coconut for 7-10 Days, 2 oz Galaxy Dry Hop for 3 Days, then package. 

My numbers come out to be 1.075 OG and  around 85  IBUs. I am aiming for a gravity around 1.011 to 1.013. 

I am still figuring out the yeast blend I want to use. If you have any advice, suggestions, or tips, I would greatly appreciate it with regards to the recipe or yeast. Feel free to submit your own recipe if you want!

**TLDR: Brewing a  Black IPA for a club contest. Entries due by May 28. Can only choose from 8 listed ingredients. Looking for a good yeast blend to use in a Black IPA. Feel free to play around and come up with a recipe.**

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Fantasy Draft Black IPA with Coconut Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 10:50:07 am »
Stone has always recommended using either WLP002 or WLP007.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 11:06:12 am »
You could try Imperial A24 Dry Hop. It is a combination of the “Conan” strain often used in NEIPA and their A20 Citrus yeast that is known to be fairly tropical, especially at warmer temps. I’ve enjoyed the flavors from this blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 05:17:51 pm »
I would go with WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend, personally. Of course, I would also probably brew a porter.

~12 lbs Optic
1 lb C-80
1 lb Midnight Wheat (added at sparge)

Chinook sufficient for 30 IBUs at 60

.5 oz each Chinook and Galaxy at 5 mins

Coffee and coconut added however you want.