Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Voss kveik hazy in a non hazy beer  (Read 951 times)

Offline Kwitty

• 1st Kit
Voss kveik hazy in a non hazy beer
« on: March 01, 2020, 09:59:58 am »
I make a pale ale and a cream ale on a regular basis. I usually always use wlp001. I figured it would be a good first couple batches to test since I know the beers. I fermented on a table with a brew belt and a sweatshirt on the carboys. Temp started at about 75f and ramped up to about 90f. I let them go 4 days, 1 day past active ferment. They then sat for 2 more days without heat and dropped to about 70f. I started to cold crash 2 days ago and there is a haze that isn't dropping out. I've never had this issue with wlp001 so I'm assuming it's the yeast. However I thought Voss was supposed to be a hard floculator? Any thoughts?

Offline MerlinWerks

• Cellarman
Re: Voss kveik hazy in a non hazy beer
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 01:29:16 pm »
I actually use the Voss in my NEIPA's because it stays hazy for a long while. I too was puzzled because it was supposed to be high flocculator. That being said, I have used it in all different types of beers including a pale where it dropped clear in a reasonable amount of time. I haven't been able to isolate the variable responsible for determining  whether it's hazy or clear.

I thought maybe it was temp because for my NEIPAS where I want some of the citrusy esters this yeast is known for I'll ferment at 90F. If I want to suppress those for a relatively clean profile I'll ferment at 70F, I've brewed the same pale ale like that (70F both times), first time was clear and the second time it stayed hazy.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 07:40:42 am by MerlinWerks »