Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another carbonation question  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Another carbonation question
« on: February 25, 2020, 12:31:47 pm »
I'm trying to decide if I have a bit too much carbonation or not but wondered what would happen to the carbonation level if I closed the valve and continued to draw beer from the keg without supplying any more CO2.  As the level of beer in the keg decreases and the head space increases would the level  of carbonation decrease?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Another carbonation question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:50:40 pm »
Yep.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 08:24:18 am »
I've found it takes quite a few draws and days for the carb level to drop.  It's faster to lower the pressure at regulator and bleed off some pressure at the blowoff.  Still takes a few days to stabilize.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 10:17:02 am »
I'm mentally "on the fence" if the carbonation needs to be less so for now, I'm still drinking it, but have the valves shut off to the CO2 tank.  Thanks for your advice.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 06:49:11 pm »
I'm mentally "on the fence" if the carbonation needs to be less so for now, I'm still drinking it, but have the valves shut off to the CO2 tank.  Thanks for your advice.

There you go - shut the valves and draw a few pints or a pitcher and you should be good in no time!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 09:21:01 am »
I've found it takes quite a few draws and days for the carb level to drop.  It's faster to lower the pressure at regulator and bleed off some pressure at the blowoff.  Still takes a few days to stabilize.
/

Agreed.   It takes quite a while for the carbonation to drop in the keg.  It will drop but you won't notice it right away.   

If you want to drop the carbonation more quickly,  drawing a few pints into a pitcher and letting it set for a few minutes will drop the carbonation a bit faster.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified