Author Topic: A Few Questions for Candidates  (Read 575 times)

Offline Amy Martin

• 1st Kit
A Few Questions for Candidates
« on: February 26, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
Greetings, folks!

My name is Amy Martin, and I am one of the candidates running for the AHA Governing Committee. I made a "get to know me" video where I answer four questions (which can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/EEHgk9oTgkE), but I thought it might be cool if the other candidates answer the questions too.

The four questions are:

What is the most interesting thing you've ever brewed?

What is the beer you're most proud of?

What is your favorite part about working in the brewing industry? (may not be relevant to all)

Do you have experience with other nonprofits?

I look forward to hearing your answers. Cheers!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: A Few Questions for Candidates
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 07:52:59 PM »
My replies.

I'm mentioning a Ballantine IPA homage beer. I found my friend Jeff Renner's writing about it online and made it, and tweeked it. Six-row, Crystal, Flaked maize, raw sugar. Old school hops of Cluster, Bullion, Brewers Gold, EKG. Chico Yeast. An amber bitter profile for water. From the ingredient list one might say it couldn't taste good. It is dangerously drinkable.

I have a really nice Classic Rauchbier on tap. The malts were smoked by me, using beechwood. That way I got the smoke intensity and aroma that I wanted. No ham of bacon, more like brisket fresh off the smoker.

What is your favorite part about working in the brewing industry? (may not be relevant to all)
Why ruin a good hobby? I'm retired. I've done enough commercial batches to know how hard the work is, and how bad my back is.

Just donations to ones that do good work.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Tony O

• Retailers
  • 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 08:49:31 PM »
Hi. Thanks for the questions Amy!

Five years ago, a group of us got a used 60 gallon red wine barrel. We filled it with a Flanders Ale, some Roselare from Wyeast and bottle dregs from a number of sour beers. Every so often we take 40 gallons out and add fresh wort. Everyone takes their beer and does something creative with it. Some of the beers that have come out of that have been fantastic. We think the best beers are yet to come.

I brew a Dark Mild named Talli the Timid to honor my mom's little dog who has since passed away. That beer has been to the second round of the NHC a couple times and is available as a PicoPak for the Pico.  We have also brewed it in collaboration with a local brewery to serve in the tap room.

Owning a homebrew shop for the last 6 year has been amazing. By far my favorite thing has been meeting so many great people, both homebrewers and pro brewers. I really enjoy getting new people started homebrewing and watching them get really into it. Quite a few local breweries have been started in the last few year by homebrewers that started with us.

While i have not worked with non-profits in any kind of leadership roll, I have been self employed for 14 years. In addition to the homebrew shop I owned a large auto repair shop for 10 years. Before that I spent 15 years as the manager of another large auto repair shop. I have a lot of experience collaborating with a team of people to get projects done efficiently and on time. I think my business experience translates well to the AHA Governing Committee.

Thank you for your consideration.

Tony Ochsner, AHA Governing Committee Candidate

Offline Terry di Paolo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 01:28:45 AM »
Hi Amy and thanks for posting this for everyone and wow, what a great video. Best of luck in this process!

Every year my brew club has a «Chopped Challenge» inspired by the Food Network show. They pick five ingredients and members must pick three to incorporate into a brew, then bring it to the next monthly club meeting. There is always an outlandish wildcard in the mix. Last year the options were matcha, avocado, mango, coriander, and the wildcard... Flaming Hot Cheetos. I didn't pick the last one ;)

I did pick avocados, but decided to use them in an unexpected way -- the stones/pits are edible and are a bittering agent. So I gathered a dozen of them, boiled them slightly to soften them, smashed them and added it to the boil. The coriander was a gimmie since it isn't uncommon, so to mix it up, I not only incorporated the spice in the boil but I also used coriander honey when carbonating. Lastly, I used matcha in the bottling process, in hopes of retaining its green tea qualities. Surprisingly drinkable, which was in stark contrast to some of my colleague's FHC attempts!

It is a sentimental one, really. My wife gave birth to our daughter just a year ago and I brewed an American Wheat with blood oranges and bergamot bitters for the pending arrival. Once she was born, I took a photo of her for the label and passed them out instead of cigars (does anyone pass out cigars, anyway?). So not only was it very personal for me, but it was also a really nice beer!

I do not work in the brewing industry but let me at least take the opportunity to say as a small business owner how challenging it is to own, and how demanding it is to work, in brewing today. Serious props to the brewers and to the many small business suppliers, malters, suppliers, and hundreds of homebrew shops that make our passions possible.

I currently sit on the vestry of a church that owns and manages a city block in the West Village neighborhood of New York City. That includes not only the church functions and community outreach operations themselves but also their real estate holdings that include a private school, multiple multi-family rental properties, a community garden, and a high-end co-operative development. It is a complex, multi-million dollar organization that I am a key decision-maker for. In addition to having direct input into the budget and operations (it is sort of like a board of directors to a corporation, although not exactly), I also head or am a part of ad hoc committees that address personnel, stewardship and outreach issues in greater detail.

While not a decision-maker, I am an active member of the Park Slope Food Co-Op. The PSFC is a 17,000-member food co-operative located in the Park Slope neighborhood of Brooklyn that is member-run and managed. I work in the office as part of my mandatory volunteer work requirements and have also been involved in organizing several environmental initiatives within the organization. The PSFC is infamously democratic and full of a wide range of diverse and competing voices. It's important to make sure everyone is heard and decisions are balanced as openly as possible for everyone.

In a similar strain, I actively organize events with another neighborhood organization, Park Slope Parents. PSP is a 9,000-member organization of families in the area. I have organized events for Dads surrounding beer (of course). For stay-at-home Dads, I work with local taprooms to host fathers and their little ones in a safe manner. And for all Dads, I have organized large brewing parties at our local homebrew supply store (they offer on-premise brewing). I'm still working on organizing Mom-centric brewing events because many do not even know what they are missing. Give me some time, or throw me some tips if anyone reading this has them.

In that past, I have been on the organizing committee and an active volunteer for a wide range of community organizations, from homeless shelters, food pantries, pet rescue organizations and those around food sustainability and access.  I am proud to have been able to be a part of them when and where I can.

Offline smortil987

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 12:50:13 AM »

That's a hard question to answer as I love brewing the weird and the wild and experimenting; one of the most interesting is a wild fermented Perry.  I went and picked 25 pounds of pears by hand 15 feet off of the ground using a later, macerated, and pressed them by hand.  I used nothing but the skins of the pear to kick off fermentation. I was extremely pleased with how it came out and ended up taking a Silver medal at the Take A Walk on The Wild Side competition in Tampa, Florida.

I am extremely proud of a Samichlaus I did as that was a complete labor of love for a couple of years.  Actively tending to it for a year as it fermented out as well as ensuring proper cellaring to when it hit its peak a year after it was made was a test in patience.  It paid off as the beer is extremely flavorful, smooth, and hides the 18% ABV extremely well and it took a Gold medal at the Big Beer, Belgian, and Barleywine Festival in Vail, Colorado.

I am fortunate to be able to tell people that beer is, literally, a "professional hobby" for me.  Through being able to travel to judge at major national and international competition and writing beer reviews for The Beer Connoisseur Magazine, I would say my favorite aspect of being associated with the brewing industry it educating people.

Do you have experience with other nonprofits?[/b]

I, with the help of our homebrew club (The Mystic Krewe of Brew from Covington, Louisiana) began the Larry Hartzog's Twisted Beer Festival and Homebrew Competition in honor of a club member who passed away unexpectedly.  Our beneficiary is the Northshore Humane Society and we are currently planning our 9th year for the festival and this past year we raised $30,000 which completely went to support the beneficiary.  The homebrew competition honors him where contestants come up with the craziest brews they can imagine sticking with that respective years theme as Larry brewed the weird and the wild himself.

-Sal Mortillaro II
AHA Governing Committee Candidate

Offline jrausti2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 06:21:06 PM »
Greetings, folks!

My name is Amy Martin, and I am one of the candidates running for the AHA Governing Committee. I made a "get to know me" video where I answer four questions (which can be viewed here: https://youtu.be/EEHgk9oTgkE), but I thought it might be cool if the other candidates answer the questions too.

The four questions are:

Most Interesting Brew:  'World's Best Cup of Coffee' - This was a coffee stout inspired by the movie 'Elf.'  I took a stout and added Folgers Coffee, Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Syrup, and M&Ms.  It was quickly a crowd favorite, and is still being requested to be brewed again.

Favorite part of the industry: I'd have to say my favorite part of working in the industry is doing something that I love.  I always tell people that a bad day brewing, is better than the best day in the retail or government environments I have been in.  This job allows me to use my creative thinking and come up with new and crazy ideas (that may not always work), and people love it.  It also grants, an almost immediate feedback and I can adjust based on that.

Non-Profit:  I have worked with several non-profits in the past to include cancer research, animals, homeless shelters, and a few others.  I would definitely have to say that as a pet owner, my favorite non-profits are the ones that work with animals because they are often the most underfunded.

Cheers,
Josh Austin
2020 Governing Committee Candidate
Head Brewer
Fermented Nonsense Brewing
jaustin@fermentednonsense.com

Offline trubgerg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 06:45:18 AM »

Two times per year I brew a spruce beer using the tips from a spruce bush that grows in my garden.  My sister asked me to make her a beer that used spruce, and one day when I was sitting on the steps outside my kitchen door I looked to my left and realized that I was staring at my spruce source. 

I made an IPA and a California Common (both from extract kits) for my sister's wedding.  They were my first venture outside of a Mr. Beer kit, so there was some pressure in making sure I did it right.  I didn't see anyone spit out the beer, and the feedback I got was positive, which propelled my homebrewing career. 

I don't work in the brewing industry, but I have made connections from job interviews as I try to make brewing my career.  I would say my favorite part is having intelligent discussions about beer.  Just the other day when I dropped my entries off for the National Homebrew Competition I shared some beer with the people who worked at that bottle shop who I had met via a job interview. 

I served on the Conservation Commission in the previous town I lived in, and I spent some time as a high school substitute teacher. 
Greg Burt - Candidate for AHA Governing Committee 2020

~Homebrewer Since 2010~
~AHA Member Since 2015~

Homebrew Timer - an app for iOS devices

Offline telder4336

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »
The four questions are:

Each year our home brew clubs cycles barrels out of our barrel program. This year we Started off with a Belgian Dark Strong in a freshly emptied Single-Malt Barrel, after that we did an English Barleywine, then we thought we would try something different so we did a Fig and Date Sack mead which sat in he barrel for around 6 months. Was one of the most interesting yet rewarding projects I've ever been a part of where you could see how flavors are layered through multiple barrel uses as well as possibly learning a new style of beer along the way!

Not really a beer but I do have a Mead that has been the light of my eye for the past 18 months. Made it with Mesquite and Avocado blossom honey with Tart cherries. I overshot how much honey I was supposed to use but with the liquid from the cherries it was brought down to about the 15% range and was dangerously drinkable after 3 months. Took a 1st place at Mazer Cup and a Bronze at NHC so glad I took notes on how to make it again!

What is your favorite part about working in the brewing industry?
I don't work in the brewing industry, however I do volunteer my time and several of the local breweries to help out with various odds and ends which sometimes allows me to take part in brewing. I would say that my favorite part about this is learning the many other facets of brewing instead of just the physical action of brewing that a lot of home brewers focus on. The realization that only 10% of your time at a brewery is actually spent brewing (And that is generous) can be eye opening for many.

I am active with Harvesters which is a local Food bank here in Kansas City as well as a yearly event called Hops for Hero's which is a yearly beer-fest that benefits the American Cancer Society in our area.
Jason Elder
KC Bier Meisters - President
2020 Governing Committee Candidate

Offline donger

• 1st Kit
  • "Mongo like candy..."
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 11:18:28 PM »
Hi All! Annie Johnson here.

I brewed a Gose with water from Puget Sound. I also dried my own salt (took a long time.... ). I used fresh coriander from the garden. The only thing I didn’t do was use wild yeast but I’m think about that this summer.

I brewed and bottled with a special label - a brown ale for my friend’s granny who was turning 100. The beer recipe I borrowed from Tasty (cause Janet’s Brown Ale is the best!). The party was great and everyone went home with a bottle. 😊😊

I love working trade shows and seeing all the Homebrew friends I’ve made over the years. It’s one big family of beer guts. I also enjoy showcasing our products and showing people improvements we have made over the years.  I also enjoy helping my fellow Homebrewers remotely with recipes and brewing help.

Yes, I’m a regular with a local food bank and Sno-King Water Council (monitoring local run off off creeks into Puget Sound).

Cheers!
Formerly the Queen of Beer. Currently the Old Bag.