Author Topic: Questions for the entire field of candidates  (Read 261 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Questions for the entire field of candidates
« on: February 26, 2020, 07:41:02 PM »

What are your thoughts on representing the members of this organization at the Governing Committee meetings?

How will you gather information from members to bring to those meetings?

How will you disseminate information you gained at those meetings to members?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline Tony O

• Retailers
  • 1st Kit
Re: Questions for the entire field of candidates
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 09:49:18 PM »
I am a lifetime member of the American Homebrewers Association. I decided to run for the Governing Committee this year because I feel like the AHA could do a better job helping get new brewers interested in the hobby. I will admit, these things I am hearing in some posts about the GC not being transparent and the AHA not keeping members up with what is going on was a surprise to me. I have the BrewGuru app that lets me know when there is a good deal around. I get emails from the AHA with news about events coming up. I can go on the website and find a lot of information that is useful to me as a homebrewer. Additionally, the few times I have had a question for someone at the AHA my email was answered promptly.

I intend to represent the members of the AHA as I would want to be represented. I think the biggest challenge for the members of the GC is knowing what the members are thinking and want to see done. Each member of the GC has their email listed right on the website. It is incumbent on us as members to be proactive and let our representatives know what we want. If I am elected it is my hope that members that have a question or an issue will take the time to send me an email. I can guarantee I will take their concern seriously and reply in a timely manner.

Thank you for your consideration.

Tony Ochsner, AHA Governing Committee Canidate

Offline Terry di Paolo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »
Thanks for these questions. I just responded to another post that is similar to your first question. If I may, I'd like to refer to that response because it's lengthy and I feel it addresses my thoughts on representing the members of the AHA in detail. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=34658.msg436754#msg436754%u200B

How will you gather information from members to bring to those meetings?%u200B and How will you disseminate the information you gained at those meetings to members?%u200B

Communication is key as a GC member, and also can feel daunting when the membership runs in the tens of thousands. In the organizations I serve and have served in the past, I generally have a few strategies for handling this. This is how I would start off initially as a GC member.

First, leverage the channels that already exist. That means for the AHA if I am assigned to a particular sub-committee then I would use the subcommittee forum area to post information there. In order to get the topics in front of as many members as possible, I would additionally post in other forum areas and at times try to get certain topics into Zymurgy%u200B. It is also advocating within the AHA for certain topics to be discussed broadly as necessary.

Second, is to speak directly with club organizers so they, in turn, can inform their members and communicate their perspectives to me directly. Many members are less connected to the AHA forums and conversations and more involved in their local club. I am often one of those as my club is highly active on a private slack channel and in-person meetings. I go to them first for most issues and I know a lot of other members go to theirs as well.

Third, is to create internally (that is, on my side) lists of those passionate about certain topics. Get their emails, engage and ask opinions. Make sure that their voices are heard. GC members largely work in 'big picture' areas as no one should expect us to be omniscient%u200B in every topic, but we should be able to facilitate conversations. I would like that 'list' to be as large and inclusive as possible and it would likely be a slack channel or google group open to anyone to join. But the goal is for me to be able to identify those passionate about a subject within the AHA I am working on and making sure they have a direct line to the GC where they feel heard.

Gathering and disseminating within a group's culture is a process, but this is where I'd start functionally, adjusting and building from there.

Terry di Paolo
AHA GC Candidate 2020
Slightly edited to correct grammar issues.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:35:24 PM by Terry di Paolo »

Offline telder4336

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 06:11:48 PM »
What are your thoughts on representing the members of this organization at the Governing Committee meetings?

This is something I look forward to wholeheartedly, there is no honor as large as representing your fellow homebrewers and I'm looking forward to the opportunity and the challenge!

As was said previously communication is key and one of the areas that the GC is lacking in. The first way I plan to gather information from members and potential members is by making myself available. I can always be reached via Facebook, email, and now these forums. The GC is already reachable via these forums however there are still many people that don't know that these forums are available. I think that by partnering with other websites such as homebrewtalk.com we would be able to extend our availability to communicate with current and potential members. I also come from a machine learning background so the second way I would gather data is by building a service that would be able to aggregate and then prioritize the items that members are discussing or asking about the most so that they could be presented in a timely fashion. The third is by talking to current and potential members face to face. I travel the country each year to attend various homebrew competitions and that is a fantastic way to be able to listen what the questions and concerns of fellow homebrewers are as well as answer any of the questions they may have.

Ideally this information should be made public each month via meeting minutes from the Governing Committee. The By-Laws for the GC state that meeting minutes should be published however at this time the only meeting minutes you will see published are the minutes for the yearly meeting which  to be honest, just isn't good enough. As I have said before there needs to be more transparency regarding the GC. It shouldn't be a secretive advisory board where someone submits a concern and it's not know whether or not it was ever addressed. The first thing I would push for is that meeting minutes be published for every monthly meeting. The second thing I would push for is a repository where these minutes are readily accessible so that members and even potential members could follow the progress of issues that the GC is working with the AHA upon. This would include the sub-committee's as well. The 3rd item I would push for is a section of Zymurgy to be included with information regarding the GC and what they have accomplished for that time period and what future goals may be as well as maybe an article or two from GC members which would rotate every issue. The 4th way I would get this information out is while traveling. As I said above I travel the country for various homebrew competitions each year and this would allow me to address any concerns or questions that members at those competitions may have as well as allowing me to address them locally with homebrew clubs and members in my region.

This is simply a jumping off point. If elected to the Governing Committee I'm sure that even more avenues to gather information and other effective ways of dissemination would be found.
Jason Elder
KC Bier Meisters - President
2020 Governing Committee Candidate

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 06:31:49 PM »

This is something I look forward to wholeheartedly, there is no honor as large as representing your fellow homebrewers and I'm looking forward to the opportunity and the challenge!

As was said previously communication is key and one of the areas that the GC is lacking in. The first way I plan to gather information from members and potential members is by making myself available. I can always be reached via Facebook, email, and now these forums. The GC is already reachable via these forums however there are still many people that don't know that these forums are available. I think that by partnering with other websites such as homebrewtalk.com we would be able to extend our availability to communicate with current and potential members. I also come from a machine learning background so the second way I would gather data is by building a service that would be able to aggregate and then prioritize the items that members are discussing or asking about the most so that they could be presented in a timely fashion. The third is by talking to current and potential members face to face. I travel the country each year to attend various homebrew competitions and that is a fantastic way to be able to listen what the questions and concerns of fellow homebrewers are as well as answer any of the questions they may have.

Ideally this information should be made public each month via meeting minutes from the Governing Committee. The By-Laws for the GC state that meeting minutes should be published however at this time the only meeting minutes you will see published are the minutes for the yearly meeting which  to be honest, just isn't good enough. As I have said before there needs to be more transparency regarding the GC. It shouldn't be a secretive advisory board where someone submits a concern and it's not know whether or not it was ever addressed. The first thing I would push for is that meeting minutes be published for every monthly meeting. The second thing I would push for is a repository where these minutes are readily accessible so that members and even potential members could follow the progress of issues that the GC is working with the AHA upon. This would include the sub-committee's as well. The 3rd item I would push for is a section of Zymurgy to be included with information regarding the GC and what they have accomplished for that time period and what future goals may be as well as maybe an article or two from GC members which would rotate every issue. The 4th way I would get this information out is while traveling. As I said above I travel the country for various homebrew competitions each year and this would allow me to address any concerns or questions that members at those competitions may have as well as allowing me to address them locally with homebrew clubs and members in my region.

This is simply a jumping off point. If elected to the Governing Committee I'm sure that even more avenues to gather information and other effective ways of dissemination would be found.

Apologies, what is your name?

Offline telder4336

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 07:00:10 PM »
Apologies, what is your name?

Jason Elder, Governing Committee Candidate
Jason Elder
KC Bier Meisters - President
2020 Governing Committee Candidate

Offline Amy Martin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 07:06:53 PM »

I would be honored to represent the members of the American Homebrewers Association at Governing Meetings. In my experience, effective communication is absolutely mandatory for success. I know that for a national organization like ours, representation is no easy feat, and if I am honest the task feels daunting, yet attainable. The homebrewing world is fortunate to have a diverse body of members - individuals from many different backgrounds and walks of life. I would want to be diligent in ensuring all types of members are represented.

How will you gather information from members to bring to those meetings? How will you disseminate information you gained at those meetings to members?

I’m combining my responses to these questions, because my solutions go hand in hand. In addition to the monthly publication of meeting minutes, one thing I would like to see initiated is a special Governing Committee email newsletter. We would make sure all members know about it, but also give people the choice to opt out. I think it would be advantageous to use this newsletter to do monthly questionnaires/polls (via online polling websites) to gather information from our members. This could be reported on an individual basis or by representatives from regional homebrewing clubs. The same email newsletter could be used to report back on information gained at those meetings.