Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refractometer Question  (Read 1766 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Refractometer Question
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 12:24:35 pm »
I rarely care enough to use it, but I acquired a lab grade hydrometer for final gravity readings.  It only has a range of .995 to 1.020, if I recall correctly.  Most of the time the refractometer is sufficiently close for my homebrewing.  I find it interesting, however, how many people who are first tasting a homebrew want to know the ABV and total time from brewing to drinking, but little else about the process.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 05:51:16 am »
I can get a 4 oz. sample from boiling to 60F in 30-60 seconds and that's good enough for me. 

How do you do that?

Put a boiling sample in a metal cocktail shaker with the lid on.  Swirl it in a bowl of ice water  Never takes me more than 60 seconds.  It helps that the Brewing America hydrometer I use only needs 4 oz.

I have always taken a sample in my hydrometer tube, measured the SG with a hydrometer, then taken a temperature measurement.  I then take both measurements and use the calculation tool in BeerSmith to derive the reading.  Are you suggesting this is not accurate?  I’m wondering why you would need a 60° sample.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 07:08:53 am »
My instructions say to take the sample for calibration at room temp, 70 degrees.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 07:21:32 am »
I can get a 4 oz. sample from boiling to 60F in 30-60 seconds and that's good enough for me. 

How do you do that?

Put a boiling sample in a metal cocktail shaker with the lid on.  Swirl it in a bowl of ice water  Never takes me more than 60 seconds.  It helps that the Brewing America hydrometer I use only needs 4 oz.

I have always taken a sample in my hydrometer tube, measured the SG with a hydrometer, then taken a temperature measurement.  I then take both measurements and use the calculation tool in BeerSmith to derive the reading.  Are you suggesting this is not accurate?  I’m wondering why you would need a 60° sample.

Homebrew hydrometers are typically calibrated at 60F.  So any deviation in the sample temp will introduce error.

It sounds like you are already accounting for differences from standard, so your process sounds fine to me.

The only thing you might want to verify is that your hydrometer is actually calibrated to the 60F standard.  It also doesn't hurt to check the calibration with a 60F pure water.  Those pieces of paper can shift in the glass tube sometimes.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 08:44:33 am »

How do you do that?

For one reason, because it's dangerous to use boiling wort with glass.  For another,the farther away you are from a hydrometers calibration temp, the less accurate the conversipn formula is.  I use a thermos hydrometer, which has a thermometer and correction table built into it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 12:21:52 pm »

How do you do that?

I take a hydrometer sample while coming up to boil. My flask is plastic. I put it in the freezer and it normally cools to ~60F when the boil has reached 15 minutes in that way I don't have to rely on the adjustment calc. My process is close enough that I don't need a reading sooner because I'm rarely off a point or two.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 12:37:28 pm »

How do you do that?

Homebrew hydrometers are typically calibrated at 60F.  So any deviation in the sample temp will introduce error.

It sounds like you are already accounting for differences from standard, so your process sounds fine to me.

The only thing you might want to verify is that your hydrometer is actually calibrated to the 60F standard.  It also doesn't hurt to check the calibration with a 60F pure water.  Those pieces of paper can shift in the glass tube sometimes.

Paul

Thanks for this information.  Yes, my hydrometer is calibrated at 60F and I have verified it several times.  I use a plastic flask and distilled water for calibrating.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:39:00 pm by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 05:48:37 pm »
We are pleased to announce that our OG is 1.056.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2020, 05:54:33 pm »
I have a hydrometer (https://www.morebeer.com/products/triple-scale-hydrometer.html) that is calibrated at 68 F. My wort and ale spend a lot more time closer to 68 than to 60, so I like this a lot. I agree with Denny that I don't trust the temperature corrections very much, so I prefer to get my samples as close as possible to the calibrated temperature.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's