Poll

Is it Just Me or Would Regularly Scheduled Online Homebrewcon Technical Sessions Be A Very Attractive Member Benefit That Could Encourage Renewals and New Memberships?

No - I Don't Attend or Utilize Homebrewcon Technical Sessions or the archives at all, therefore all year long is not of interest
0 (0%)
Possibly - Seems like an AHA Benefit Worth Exploring and I would support exploring it further.
3 (30%)
Maybe Yes/ Maybe No - I would need to better understand exactly what an online Homebrewcon webinar would be like to make an informed decision
1 (10%)
Yes - Definitely worth serious consideration
5 (50%)
None of these answers are suitable. I'll add comments below.
1 (10%)
Not A Topic I Choose to Weigh in On.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 29, 2020, 01:05:03 AM

Author Topic: Poll: New AHA Benefit: Online Homebrewcon Technical Sessions All Year Long?  (Read 231 times)

Offline POPTOP

• 1st Kit
What do you think about our shifting the discussions to exploring what initiatives, changes or priorities we'd like to possibly explore with the AHA Governing Committee?

I've been so impressed with the quality of the past Homebrewcon Technical Sessions, that I think we should consider doing them all year long via an online platform. Brad Smith seems to do a great job with his video/podcasts as well as Denny, Drew and so many others. However, I think there's additional value in the vetting that the AHA  puts into Homebrewcon presentations that really improve the focus and quality of the annual Homebrewcon presentations. I'm simply exploring the idea of starting a series using maybe the best presentations of previous Homebrewcons and doing a live version each month. That way we'd know they were well-vetted, popular at previous Homebrewcons and would be of value to all members (not just the ones that can travel to Homebrewcon).
Doug Piper
Gourmet Brewing
Certified Cicerone
BJCP Certified Beer and Mead Judge
MALT Brewclub, Asheville, NC
AHA Governing Candidate

Offline Terry di Paolo

• 1st Kit
For the past two years, I have actually been a founding partner in a real estate educational company that is leveraging online learning management systems for courses, so this is something I am particularly interested in. And I think the access to AHA conference sessions online is one of the best resources I have for learning, personally. I often stream sessions on a large monitor when I am brewing and have a little mini-library of conference handouts that I browse through often. I'm so thankful for the work the AHA has put into making these available. When it comes to courses, though, users are going to expect a more concise and concentrated agenda that has specific outcomes involved.

From your comment, I think you are speaking of doing a live webinar hosted by the AHA, which could be interesting. It could also be interesting for the AHA to sponsor course creators to produce on-demand content that translates the conference sessions into a specific course that homebrewers could access when they are available. In the project that I am working on currently, we are using this approach to create the content, while additionally having the course creator available on a weekly schedule and having them host an online 'coffee hour' so those who went through the course can ask questions and get a live response.

There is a wide range of ways to facilitate learning and conversation and I would be very supportive of any efforts that can build on those opportunities.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:39:00 PM by Terry di Paolo »
Terry di Paolo
AHA GC Candidate 2020

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
FWIW, the AHA did live webinars for a couple years before stopping them due to a lack of interest.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Tony O

• Retailers
  • 1st Kit
The AHA members currently have access to the seminars from Homebrew Con dating back to 2012. The last three years you get the full video as well. This is a ton of educational content that is being under utilized. I do think the live webinars are cool but with so much content already available, what would be the benefit of putting resources towards webinars that were so poorly attended when they were done in the past?

Tony Ochsner, AHA Governing Committee Canidate

Offline POPTOP

• 1st Kit
FWIW, the AHA did live webinars for a couple years before stopping them due to a lack of interest.

Denny ....that's awesome information! You're absolutely right ....we should start there and learn from what worked and what didn't! Clearly someone thought online programs was valuable then, but it failed for some reason. That (or those) reason(s) should be well understood before another attempt is made or online efforts are discontinued.

Do you or anyone else have the links to the replays? In my experience, there are far more replay views than live audience views it would be good to compare the two. The replays are the real value in online programs. Only a few can catch the live event, but the replays are great evergreen content!
Doug Piper
Gourmet Brewing
Certified Cicerone
AHA Governing Candidate

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew

Denny ....that's awesome information! You're absolutely right ....we should start there and learn from what worked and what didn't! Clearly someone thought online programs was valuable then, but it failed for some reason. That (or those) reason(s) should be well understood before another attempt is made or online efforts are discontinued.

Do you or anyone else have the links to the replays? In my experience, there are far more replay views than live audience views it would be good to compare the two. The replays are the real value in online programs. Only a few can catch the live event, but the replays are great evergreen content!

Having given one and watched others, I'd say that the issue was partially timing with viewers spread all over.  I think there were other reasons as well, but I won't speculate here.  For details, contact Matt or Duncan.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline POPTOP

• 1st Kit
Denny, time zones are definitely an issue for the live event, but the more successful events take questions at anytime, then answer during the live event (whether the viewer attends live or not). The replays are where the majority of the views occur.

Overall, the livestreaming event becomes a "pop-up" group where participates can ask questions to subject matter experts and get the most up-to-date answeres. There also is quite a lot of discussion within the viewers.

The excellent logistics the AHA already has in place for vetting HomebrewCon presentations could be used to select the speakers and topics ensuring the same level of quality that members have become accustomed to.

I will follow-up with Matt and Duncan and share what they suggest. Thank you for your constructive suggestions!
Doug Piper
Gourmet Brewing
Certified Cicerone
AHA Governing Candidate

Offline POPTOP

• 1st Kit
Considering the current state of affairs, is it just me, or does this seem more like a necessity than a membership feature?
Doug Piper
Gourmet Brewing
Certified Cicerone
AHA Governing Candidate

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
I'd like to chime in that timing was a factor. I know speakers have jobs and families, but webinars were scattered throughout the day. Some were as early as 3:30 ET. I'd have liked to participate, but I can't take time off of work.

Edit: I think ideas for webinars would be follow ups on zymurgy articles. A good one might be more in depth discussion of the gadgets issue.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:06:11 PM by Wilbur »

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Considering the current state of affairs, is it just me, or does this seem more like a necessity than a membership feature?
Looks like the Pros are going to pick up the ball and run with it: https://vbrewcon.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline POPTOP

• 1st Kit
I'd like to chime in that timing was a factor. I know speakers have jobs and families, but webinars were scattered throughout the day. Some were as early as 3:30 ET. I'd have liked to participate, but I can't take time off of work.

Edit: I think ideas for webinars would be follow ups on zymurgy articles. A good one might be more in depth discussion of the gadgets issue.

Wilbur,
Yes ....timing has always been a concern, however since this is 100% volunteer, I could only go with the timing the guests preferred. It was that or nothing. Since they're recorded and your questions can be submitted beforehand, I didn't think that was too much of a compromise.

I agree with the Zymurge articles. I think a webinar associated with them would "bring them to life" and add new insights. I love the gadgets too. I'd like to do a few on those too. Any suggestions as to who would be a good guest speaker?
Doug Piper
Gourmet Brewing
Certified Cicerone
AHA Governing Candidate

Offline POPTOP

• 1st Kit
Looks like the Pros are going to pick up the ball and run with it: https://vbrewcon.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrewBama,
Thanks for spotting that! I'd not seen it! I will definitely check them out. Thank you buddy!!!!
Doug Piper
Gourmet Brewing
Certified Cicerone
AHA Governing Candidate