Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What do German beerdrinkers think about British beer styles?  (Read 3137 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
What do German beerdrinkers think about British beer styles?
« on: February 27, 2020, 08:19:14 pm »
Specifically what are perceptions among the mass population (not the small population that are true connosieurs/homebrewers) or perceptions of english beer from earlier in history?

Beer temperature/stillness
Do they like the idea of stouts/porters? Schwarzbier is a far step away from the intensity of a stout.
Bitters?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: What do German beerdrinkers think about British beer styles?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 10:01:22 am »
This is based on my time working in Germany 20+ years ago. The conversations were with people in the office, not beer fans. There is no clear answer to this,

Beers not brewed by the Rheinheitsgebot are viewed with suspect. Sugars are not good for beer. Malted barley must be used, and so on.

There are many Irish bars in Germany that sell Guinness. So that is accepted.

Belgian beer uses sugar, fruit, Brett, and bacteria (in sour beers). I was told that stuff is not fit for human consumption.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 12:03:19 pm »
This is based on my time working in Germany 20+ years ago. The conversations were with people in the office, not beer fans. There is no clear answer to this,

Beers not brewed by the Rheinheitsgebot are viewed with suspect. Sugars are not good for beer. Malted barley must be used, and so on.

There are many Irish bars in Germany that sell Guinness. So that is accepted.

Belgian beer uses sugar, fruit, Brett, and bacteria (in sour beers). I was told that stuff is not fit for human consumption.

Agree...not fit for human consumption!

Having traveled to Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Mainz, and Munich over the past 20+ years 3 to 4 times a month, I can testify there is no shortage of Irish Pubs...Guinness, Murphy's, etc.

Outside of that, the beers on tap in any locality are what's brewed in the area. At least that is what my experience has been. I would venture to say that the typical beer drinker there does not give a rat's rear end for the beers the Brits drink.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 12:58:15 pm »
Beer is a lot like women! Some blissfully devine, clean, crisp and tasteful whilst others are nothing but funky and should be tossed out!!

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 07:53:25 pm »
thanks for all the replies!

yup reinheitsgebot for sure. wonder if they think its similar in strength or weaker or stronger? i dont think any country will put forth that belgian beer is weak for example

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 08:07:16 am »
Slightly off topic...but beer prices in Germany are way cheap. A 1/2 liter can be found for 2.50 Euro. That is a common price in most of the pubs and breweries in Munich. Prices in Frankfurt are slightly higher, around 3 to 3.90 Euro per 1/2 liter.

A pint in London is higher, but I don't recall what I actually paid. Did not fly to the UK very much.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 01:07:46 pm »
Slightly off topic...but beer prices in Germany are way cheap. A 1/2 liter can be found for 2.50 Euro. That is a common price in most of the pubs and breweries in Munich. Prices in Frankfurt are slightly higher, around 3 to 3.90 Euro per 1/2 liter.

A pint in London is higher, but I don't recall what I actually paid. Did not fly to the UK very much.

Taxes on beer are very low in Germany. Though I have to ask where you find a half liter for 2.50€ in Munich?

I don't bfind London to be too expensive for cask ale, as you don't tip the bartender.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 01:14:54 pm »

Taxes on beer are very low in Germany. Though I have to ask where you find a half liter for 2.50€ in Munich?

I don't bfind London to be too expensive for cask ale, as you don't tip the bartender.

We stayed in Munich City West. We located a large brewery there, with an attached restaurant. It was the Augustiner Brauerei.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 01:19:58 pm »
For some reason 2.90 € sticks in my mind, but that was Edelstoff. Helles would be less. Love that place.

Augustiner Keller ist also a favorite.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 03:56:46 pm »
For some reason 2.90 € sticks in my mind, but that was Edelstoff. Helles would be less. Love that place.

My memory could be mistaken, but it was well under 3 Euro. Maybe 2.75? It was the Helles, and it was a bit less than the other beers.

Makes me cringe when they charge $6 to $9 for a pint of the swill on tap here in the USA.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 03:59:35 pm by Myron Oleson »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 04:33:44 pm »

My memory could be mistaken, but it was well under 3 Euro. Maybe 2.75? It was the Helles, and it was a bit less than the other beers.

Makes me cringe when they charge $6 to $9 for a pint of the swill on tap here in the USA.

Oh, I agree. On our last trip we went to some places near the heart of Munich. The prices were a shock after Bamberg.

Yes, the Helles would be less than Edelstoff, an export Helles.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 04:34:09 pm »

If you're getting swill, you're drinking at the wrong places.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 05:22:35 pm »

If you're getting swill, you're drinking at the wrong places.

All my drinking is done in our home bar! No swill here!

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 05:39:38 am »

That's because in much of Europe there's little or no tax paid on beer, compared to the UK where already by late February we've paid more beer duty than Germany will all year.

Everything in tourist London is more expensive, in the same way as Manhattan prices bear little relation to the rest of the US. The Good Pub Guide survey (pay-to-play guide that's nothing to do with the CAMRA Good Beer Guide) puts the UK average for a (568ml/20oz) pint at £3.79 (€4.29/US$4.77) and the London average at £4.57 (€5.17/US$5.75) (and tourist London is now pushing £5). But it does depend a lot on what beer you're talking about, see eg :
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2019/05/28/What-is-the-average-price-of-a-pint-in-the-UK

OTOH cask is generally quite a bit cheaper than keg, so these kinds of averages aren't always comparing like with like. And Sam Smiths and Wetherspoons are a lot cheaper than the norm, if you're prepared to compromise on the beer front.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 07:29:46 am »

That's because in much of Europe there's little or no tax paid on beer, compared to the UK where already by late February we've paid more beer duty than Germany will all year.

Everything in tourist London is more expensive, in the same way as Manhattan prices bear little relation to the rest of the US. The Good Pub Guide survey (pay-to-play guide that's nothing to do with the CAMRA Good Beer Guide) puts the UK average for a (568ml/20oz) pint at £3.79 (€4.29/US$4.77) and the London average at £4.57 (€5.17/US$5.75) (and tourist London is now pushing £5). But it does depend a lot on what beer you're talking about, see eg :
https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2019/05/28/What-is-the-average-price-of-a-pint-in-the-UK

OTOH cask is generally quite a bit cheaper than keg, so these kinds of averages aren't always comparing like with like. And Sam Smiths and Wetherspoons are a lot cheaper than the norm, if you're prepared to compromise on the beer front.

At some of the places in my small town outside of Detroit, a pint goes for $6, and with a dollar tip per beer London doesn't look bad at all for beer prices.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild