Author Topic: Lag Time - Saflager W-34/70?  (Read 5039 times)

TXFlyGuy

Re: Lag Time - Saflager W-34/70?
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2020, 11:32:38 am »
Your experience seems very unusual.  I still would NOT recommend a starter or special treatment for this yeast strain.  Just an anomaly.

I agree.

Most of my experience is with liquid yeast, either smack-pack pitching, or employing yeast harvested from a previous ferment. Most lags are in the single digits for hours. Sometimes there has been nearly zero lag time, with the healthy yeast (from a local brewery) kicking off immediately.

While 36 hours may seem unusual in this case, it appears that it is more common than what may be fully realized based on my search of various brewing forums.

Indeed. And personally I have found it to be no problem.

It's been years since we used a dry yeast. But before, a 36 hour lag time was never experienced. In fact, my experience showed that dry yeast normally is a fast starter.
Glad to hear that a long (36 hour) lag is not a problem. Think I'll have another beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2020, 11:35:21 am »
Your experience seems very unusual.  I still would NOT recommend a starter or special treatment for this yeast strain.  Just an anomaly.

I agree.

Most of my experience is with liquid yeast, either smack-pack pitching, or employing yeast harvested from a previous ferment. Most lags are in the single digits for hours. Sometimes there has been nearly zero lag time, with the healthy yeast (from a local brewery) kicking off immediately.

While 36 hours may seem unusual in this case, it appears that it is more common than what may be fully realized based on my search of various brewing forums.

Indeed. And personally I have found it to be no problem.

It's been years since we used a dry yeast. But before, a 36 hour lag time was never experienced. In fact, my experience showed that dry yeast normally is a fast starter.
Glad to hear that a long (36 hour) lag is not a problem. Think I'll have another beer!

With either dry or liqhid of course shorter is preferable just for ease of mind.  But I've found that 2 day lags with either don't seem to have a negative impact on beer quality.  If it gets to 72 hours with no action, i take corrective measures.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2020, 05:13:33 am »
I recently used 34/70 ina lager that was in the upper 40’s (no heater in the chest freezer and ambient in the 20’s in the garage outside of the chest freezer.)  My Tilt hydrometer disclosed a lag time of about 20 hours then very slow gravity drop for the next couple days.  This compares to a very short lag time of about 6-8 hours on a prior identical batch started at 52 and allowed to rise into the low 60’s over a couple days (basement ferment on that one). Again just a couple data points....

MMMV (my mileage may vary).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2020, 09:03:50 am »
  The last time I used fresh 34/70 I sprinkled 2 pkgs on the surface of the wort at 71* & after 30 minutes gave it 60 seconds of O2, it was down to ~60* by then. 4 1/2 hours later I had <2 second bubbles through the airlock. That was last July, yesterday I pitched some of the 7th generation from those 2 sachets in a partigyle Schwartzbier & had <2 second bubbles in an hour and a half. This morning it's chugging along with 2 second bubbles at 53*. I don't recall ever having any significantly long lag times with 34/70 but I haven't gone back and checked every time I've used it. TIFWIW
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 09:05:28 am by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2020, 06:30:35 pm »
This just in...

Took a very small sample for a taste test, brewed on 2-27. The ferment kicked off with a bang 34 hours later.

Looks like this beer is on track to be a near perfect Munich Helles. Very good flavor, and the yeast (W-34/70) character is subtle. I like it! Can't wait for it to finish and get in the keg.