Author Topic: Another question for the entire field  (Read 568 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life.
Another question for the entire field
« on: February 28, 2020, 05:06:56 PM »
Here’s another question for the group of candidates:

You will join others who’ve been on the GC already. How will you convince the GC to get onboard with your ideas?

As with many endeavors in life, a new opportunity spurs thoughts of excitement and implementing ideas such as the ones we’ve been reading about amongst the candidates.  You may run into folks who may say ‘it’ll never work’, ‘we tried that before’, ‘that’s not how we do it’ or throw up other roadblocks.

It happens everywhere in life. The newness wears off and conformity sets in. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wisdom is proved right by her deeds

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Another question for the entire field
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 05:14:42 PM »
From my position, I would say you're working with an incorrect premise.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Terry di Paolo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 06:52:43 PM »
Conformity is a rather specific situation that I am not sure is accurate when it comes to how the GC works. Is there a specific issue that you feel has been suppressed?

There should never be conformity in the healthy operations of a GC. There should be a collaboration, there should be a baseline of seeking an objective understanding of any particular issue by everyone. There should be time for concerned or objective voices to be heard and addressed. From my perspective, the GC currently functions as a healthy body of people making decisions. If you think otherwise, then we should address that.

My career is in NYC real estate. It's rather high-stakes with a lot of key variables at play without much transparency. Both buyers and sellers make initial assumptions on how the market works that do not apply well to reality here (although those perspectives do work in other markets). When I first try to explain both how the industry works and what strategies will be effective, sometimes my perspective is met with a lot of resistance.

My response always works from a baseline of respect for their point of view. And from there, I approach the situation based on the specific factors and personalities involved. For some of my clients, they are motivated by hard facts- market trends, comparable reports, etc. For others, it's the textural feel of the physical space itself or the smoothness of the process. There is no 'one path' that works with everyone. My objective is to listen, to understand and have empathy in a non-patronizing way. It's also to recognize that most of my clients do not 'speak' real estate, and therefore I need to probe deeper, listen further and make sure what they truly need is heard in a way they can tell it. I may have all of the market knowledge and data I need, but it would be wrong for me to say I need to convince them. The goal is to get the knowledge and data to meet the client in a way that is meaningful to them. And I think this approach works just as well when it comes to opportunities presented to the GC.

Offline jrausti2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
Here’s another question for the group of candidates:

You will join others who’ve been on the GC already. How will you convince the GC to get onboard with your ideas?

As with many endeavors in life, a new opportunity spurs thoughts of excitement and implementing ideas such as the ones we’ve been reading about amongst the candidates.  You may run into folks who may say ‘it’ll never work’, ‘we tried that before’, ‘that’s not how we do it’ or throw up other roadblocks.

It happens everywhere in life. The newness wears off and conformity sets in. 

After the initial period of getting comfortable on the committee and getting settled in, I would take the time to learn everyone's personality and behavioral styles and use this to my advantage of bringing new ideas or reformed ideas to the table.  I used to teach behavioral styles when I was the government and it has allowed me to be able to adapt my interactions with people and achieve mutually beneficial results.  I am not under the delusion that every idea I would have would be feasible, or even realistic, but I believe in by using this method, I can at least get my ideas heard and listened to.  When it comes down to it, even though this is an elected committee, we are all volunteers doing this because it is something we are passionate about and I believe with that in mind we can certainly work as a team.

Cheers,
Joshua Austin
2020 Governing Committee Candidate
Head Brewer
Fermented Nonsense Brewing
jaustin@fermentednonsense.com

Offline Amy Martin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 06:34:16 PM »

If elected, I will certainly want to practice humility and respect the wisdom of people that have come before me on the committee, but I would also fight to make new initiatives happen. I would do this in a variety of ways - confidently (I know my experience and knowledge is valuable), with facts & data (I’m a huge research nerd), persistently (not backing down when feeling defeated) and with compromise (when necessary.) Being on the board of other nonprofits, I’ve definitely been the “newbie” before, but this has not stopped me from making positive changes. I hope to not give in to conformity, because there is so much strength in diversity. One thing I think will keep me passionate is how much I care about this organization and that I want it to be the best it can be. I'm sure there are already existing board members that feel the same way.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 07:37:48 PM »
Any idea must be passed through a quick mental process. Are there funds for that? Is there headcount for that?

The GC doesn't have a budget. The AHA Staff is small and already busy.

Those questions were ones I learned in my professional career. They apply often.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline telder4336

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 08:33:15 PM »
You will encounter this everywhere you go. The best thing that you can do is to show respect to those who have been on the committee and know it's inner workings and at the same time not be afraid to buck the status quo and submit your ideas with data backing them as to why they are valid and would be worthwhile to implement. You also have to be an artist at compromise, there are going to be times where you have a great idea yet to obtain that goal you have to be willing to adjust it a little so that everyone is in agreement. The GC is small yet I come from a background in IT and Machine Learning to where we have to adapt and overcome issues such as small group size so each meeting I'll be taking notes to see what is being done, how it's being done and what the decision ultimately was, analyzing that data and using that to assist in crafting specific action items as well as for data to share with the group.
Jason Elder
KC Bier Meisters - President
2020 Governing Committee Candidate

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 09:37:40 PM »
I woukd encourage all GC candidates to read the GC bylaws if you haven't already done so.  It's a good way to learn exactly what the GC is and isn't empowered to do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 11:33:09 PM »
I woukd encourage all GC candidates to read the GC bylaws if you haven't already done so.  It's a good way to learn exactly what the GC is and isn't empowered to do.

This is true. Read it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »
By Laws are a minimum requirement. A starting point. Many things this organization does or does not do are not mentioned in the By Laws. Nor should they be.

wisdom is proved right by her deeds

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline trubgerg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 06:04:23 AM »
As with any elected position, it's about working with the group to make improvements.  I don't look at it as adversarial, nor do I think the existing members of the Governing Committee will be dismissive.  I mean, we all drink beer... we'll figure it out. 
Greg Burt - Candidate for AHA Governing Committee 2020

~Homebrewer Since 2010~
~AHA Member Since 2015~

Homebrew Timer - an app for iOS devices

Offline donger

• 1st Kit
  • "Mongo like candy..."
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 12:19:02 AM »
Great question!

Me: It will be important to use real data to support ideas. I’m a big believer in this!
Just because some ideas didn’t work in the past doesn’t mean they won’t work in the future.  Listening is very important. Patience is another key part of being on a committee.
And the Bylaws that are in place - thanks Denny for bringing awareness.
Formerly the Queen of Beer. Currently the Old Bag.