Author Topic: Question for Governing Committee  (Read 488 times)

Offline Lori.warwick@gmail.com

• 1st Kit
Question for Governing Committee
« on: February 29, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »
With most states still not allowing homebrew at events or public spaces for bottle sharing, would you have any initiatives and support to assist home brew clubs in changing those governing laws on a statewide level.

Offline Tony O

• Retailers
  • 1st Kit
Re: Question for Governing Committee
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 04:55:46 PM »
While the AHA does have experience in this kind of legislation and I think they would be a great resource to help with that kind of work, I think the responsibility to change these laws falls on the homebrewers in that state.
When our laws made it illegal to transport your beer outside your house for any reason, the Washington Homebrewers Association went to work to change the law in 2009 and Senate Bill 5060 was passed. The passage of this bill also made it possible for us to host the National Homebrew Convention in 2012.
I would certainly encourage any homebrew group that wants to change their laws to organize and put in the effort. As a member of the Governing Committee, I would work to provide what ever resources the AHA has available to these efforts.

Thank you for your consideration.

Tony Ochsner, AHA Governing Committee Candidate

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 04:58:42 PM »
FWIW,  I went through working to get OR laws changed.  The AHA (and by extension) GC can support local groups in the process, but not initiate the process. That approach worked well for us.  I don't think there's anything the GC can do directly, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 05:30:59 PM »
Unless a GC member lives in that state, not much can be done by the GC.

One of the AHA Staff, John Morehead,  is assigned to assist with legislative efforts.

https://www.homebrewcon.org/speakers/#71?speaker-name=john-moorhead

There will be a talk at Homebrew Con that should cover this topic.

https://www.homebrewcon.org/session/#51?session-title=why-does-the-government-care-what-i-brew?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Terry di Paolo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 09:27:31 PM »
There is currently a Government Affairs subcommittee to address this very issue. And while the forum section for it is not active, John Moorhead is the chair and Goose Steingass is a member. And of course, I would very much support any initiatives to increase the visibility of homebrew issues around the country. Liquor laws are complicated. It isn't lost on me that the state of TN where Homebrewcon is this year is both a default dry state and 25% of the counties are dry. The AHA is in a unique position to promote homebrew as a safe hobby that builds community as well as being a resource for members who seek the freedom to exercise it at home.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 11:34:17 PM »
There is currently a Government Affairs subcommittee to address this very issue. And while the forum section for it is not active, John Moorhead is the chair and Goose Steingass is a member. And of course, I would very much support any initiatives to increase the visibility of homebrew issues around the country. Liquor laws are complicated. It isn't lost on me that the state of TN where Homebrewcon is this year is both a default dry state and 25% of the counties are dry. The AHA is in a unique position to promote homebrew as a safe hobby that builds community as well as being a resource for members who seek the freedom to exercise it at home.

Goose has been working on some legislation in Ohio for a number of years. The goal is to have Ohio positioned to host a HomebrewCon in the future.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jrausti2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »
With most states still not allowing homebrew at events or public spaces for bottle sharing, would you have any initiatives and support to assist home brew clubs in changing those governing laws on a statewide level.

With homebrewing just having become legal in all 50 states with past 7 years, this is definitely something that should be pushed.  In 2015, Georgia changed the law to allow these events and I still had to write a local ordinance and work with my local city commission to push this through.  Last year, my homebrew club here in Asheville, NC sent a group to meet with senators over some proposed changes to these laws as well.  I personally, would be happy to answer any questions on how I pushed the law through in Brunswick, GA and also give any advice on doing the same in your towns.

Cheers,
Joshua Austin
2020 Governing Committee Candidate
Head Brewer
Fermented Nonsense Brewing
jaustin@fermentednonsense.com

Offline Amy Martin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 06:23:02 PM »
With most states still not allowing homebrew at events or public spaces for bottle sharing, would you have any initiatives and support to assist home brew clubs in changing those governing laws on a statewide level?

While this is absolutely something I would support, I'm not sure there is anything that the GC could do directly. If this is incorrect information, I would love to be involved in the process.

In the meantime, I think it could be beneficial to help clubs come up with more "out of the box" places they could legally meet. I'm unfamiliar with each state's laws, but I've personally hosted bottle shares at a park, a beach, and even a church before!

Offline telder4336

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 08:16:51 PM »
I see a lot of responses that either lay the responsibility solely on the home brewers in the state having this issue or passing the buck to John Moorehead however it isn't really answering the OP's question. Legislative efforts are definitely part of the Governing Committee, hence why there is a sub-committee dedicated to this.  While as a Governing Committee member we can't personally change the law I would work with the legislative sub-committee and the homebrewers in the state having the issue so that they had the proper guidance and necessary resources to put forth a bill to get the law changed in their state.

Many years ago our club had to work to get the law changed in our state due to how home brew was looked at and while it took about a year or two, it was finally changed. We couldn't have done that without the guidance we received in both whom to talk to and how to craft a bill that would pass muster at the Capitol building.

Jason Elder
KC Bier Meisters - President
Jason Elder
KC Bier Meisters - President

Offline trubgerg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 06:22:37 AM »
I was a candidate for the Governing Committee in '18 and '19, too.  When the I got the results of the election each year I was encouraged to volunteer for a subcommittee.  Both years I submitted an application for the Government Affairs subcommittee and was not accepted.  Last year, the response I got from John Moorhead said that they act as more of an advisory board to homebrewers trying to change laws as opposed to being a committee that pursues changes to homebrewing laws. 

My opinion is that the AHA should be taking the lead on getting state and federal laws adjusted to be fair to homebrewers. 
Greg Burt - Candidate for AHA Governing Committee 2020

~Homebrewer Since 2010~
~AHA Member Since 2015~

Homebrew Timer - an app for iOS devices