Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vienna Malt, First Taste  (Read 1767 times)

Fire Rooster

Vienna Malt, First Taste
« on: February 29, 2020, 10:09:02 am »
4.5 gal
8 lb Weyermann German Vienna Malt
.5 lb Great Western White Wheat

1 oz Centennial-Whole, 60 min 1/2 oz, 30 min 1/2 oz

Nottingham

4 Weeks ferment low 50's, 4 Weeks bottle condition/carb @ 73 Degrees

First time using Vienna malt.  The beer gods smiled upon
me with this one, my best yet, very refreshing.
The malt & hops complement each other well.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 04:10:26 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Vienna Malt, First Taste
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:23:50 am »
Well Done!  Other than the Notty, you have a Vienna Lager there.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 01:18:10 pm »
4.5 gal

Nottingham

As someone who hates wheat in beer, what is the reason for this rather than just the Vienna malt alone?
Glad it turned out good for you!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 02:00:56 pm »
4.5 gal

Nottingham

As someone who hates wheat in beer, what is the reason for this rather than just the Vienna malt alone?

I find a little white wheat is better than Carapils (Dextrine), and is smoother than red wheat.
Intent is foam, head retention, I think it's the extra protein in wheat ? Red Wheat is a little harsh to me.
I'm fairly new to brewing (2 years) and mostly MSU, planning to brew a beer with 50% white wheat.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 02:29:00 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 03:32:06 pm »
4.5 gal

Nottingham

I find a little white wheat is better than Carapils (Dextrine), and is smoother than red wheat.
Intent is foam, head retention, I think it's the extra protein in wheat ? Red Wheat is a little harsh to me.
I'm fairly new to brewing (2 years) and mostly MSU, planning to brew a beer with 50% white wheat.

You don't need extra protein to get good foam.  Duvel has about the best foam in the beer world and it's pils malt and sugar.  Check this out....https://web.archive.org/web/20090809234712/ttp://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 04:36:13 pm »

I'm just trying to get my head around someone who "hates wheat' in beer. Do you hate hefeweizens in general? Wheat is fairly neutral flavor on its own.

Regardless, doubt anyone would notice a 1/2 lb of wheat in a 5 gallon recipe. while not really crucial ingredient here it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 07:14:17 pm »

I'm just trying to get my head around someone who "hates wheat' in beer. Do you hate hefeweizens in general? Wheat is fairly neutral flavor on its own.

Regardless, doubt anyone would notice a 1/2 lb of wheat in a 5 gallon recipe. while not really crucial ingredient here it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

Cannot stand wheat beer in general. Do not care much for Belgian beers either. Yes, it’s a personal problem that I have to deal with.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 08:36:04 pm »

Cannot stand wheat beer in general. Do not care much for Belgian beers either. Yes, it’s a personal problem that I have to deal with.

I'm just saying it sounds like the yeast character from those beers you do not like. Not the actual wheat malt.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 02:39:58 am »
4.5 gal

Nottingham

You don't need extra protein to get good foam.  Duvel has about the best foam in the beer world and it's pils malt and sugar.  Check this out....https://web.archive.org/web/20090809234712/ttp://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

Thanks, quote "(On the other hand, if you are already getting decent foam, adding wheat can increase the amount and longevity of foam.) "
I concur wheat gives the foam/retension a boost, and adds a certain smoothness ?  Things are also more detectable with low ABV beers, since there is less grain and nothing to hide behind.  2 home brews are drank every night with dinner, low ABV is a must.  The wife takes a sip every night, then we compare notes.  Ingredients and procedures are less forgiving when brewing with fewer grains and hops.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:43:00 am by Fire Rooster »

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 05:11:58 am »

I'm just saying it sounds like the yeast character from those beers you do not like. Not the actual wheat malt.

Possible. Every beer made with wheat has a "twang" to it, almost citrus/sour like. Do not like it, but that's my personal problem.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 05:22:50 am »

Possible. Every beer made with wheat has a "twang" to it, almost citrus/sour like. Do not like it, but that's my personal problem.

I did a test early last year with beer recipes to compare red and white wheat.  I personally dislike red wheat, but find white wheat enjoyable.
FYI
https://www.bobsredmill.com/blog/healthy-living/hard-red-wheat-vs-hard-white-wheat/

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/oats.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:32:19 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 09:17:33 am »

I too used to think I disliked wheat beers, probably because most of the ones I tried were little more than carbonated yellow water. I don't recall what got me to give wheat a try in one of my beers, but I'm glad I did cuz it has become an important part of a number of them. A while back just for gits and shiggles I did an all wheat beer, 40% white wheat, 30% torrified wheat, 20% cara-wheat and 10% chocolate wheat, that beer is now one of my favorites - and of course it's name is 4-3-2-1 wheat ;D.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!