Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fizzy / Carbonated Starter  (Read 836 times)

TXFlyGuy

Fizzy / Carbonated Starter
« on: February 15, 2020, 11:18:31 am »
My Wyeast Czech Pils starter was crashed in the fridge at 36 degrees F. Decanted about 1/2 oz this morning, for a taste. It is not bad, but does not taste the way I anticipated. It does not smell like the yeast after the smack-pack was opened, and it smells different from any other starter we have ever used. Plus...here is the strange phenomenon...it is carbonated! Bubbly! Very fine bubbles, almost fizzy. Not champagne like, but still lots of bubbles. What's up with that?
Note that it is in a one gallon glass jug, that was sterilized prior to use.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Fizzy / Carbonated Starter
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 11:37:19 am »
I can't recall making a starter that wasn't fizzy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline trubgerg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:24:39 pm »
I get different amounts of fizz with different yeasts.  Last weekend I made a starter with WLP095 Burlington yeast and it was a champagne-like fizz after about 12 hours.  Other yeasts I have to close one eye and lean in real close to my Erlenmeyer flask to see any bubbles after 12 hours.  But yes, there should be some level of carbonation in a starter. 
Greg Burt - Candidate for AHA Governing Committee 2020

~Homebrewer Since 2010~
~AHA Member Since 2015~

Homebrew Timer - an app for iOS devices

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 09:35:07 am »
I get different amounts of fizz with different yeasts.  Last weekend I made a starter with WLP095 Burlington yeast and it was a champagne-like fizz after about 12 hours.  Other yeasts I have to close one eye and lean in real close to my Erlenmeyer flask to see any bubbles after 12 hours.  But yes, there should be some level of carbonation in a starter.

Good to know, as this is what we had.
Made many starters over the years, guess I just never noticed the level of carbonation before.