Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blending  (Read 650 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Blending
« on: May 03, 2023, 03:58:58 pm »
Made a BGSA on or about Feb 21st. I should have had more patience and let it remain on the yeast longer, so it seems a bit cloying but not overly.  With that said I have been blending it with a dubble when I pour a glass and I am actually enjoying that more as opposed to each one by themselves.
Anywhoot, does anyone blend their brews for whatever reason??

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Blending
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 06:05:03 pm »
Yep- pretty easy with three taps on the kegerator.  I don't blend in the glass a lot though- I may be hung up too much on styles or something.

I've also blended fermented batches together - mostly to fix a problem with under-attenuation or over-bittering.  In these cases, I brew a companion batch of similar recipe but with the direct intention to blend to fix the original batch.  It works well but often results in more beer of a particular style than I really want around.  So I drink it.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 03:01:32 am »
Yes

Occasionally I'll blend 2 different batches (bottles) in the same mug of beer to
help out the lesser of the two.  As I'm drinking the ratio of blending changes.
Sometimes certain blends will taste better than if drank separately.

Cheers

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 09:29:21 am »
An IPA blended with an American lager makes a really good pale ale. The ratio can vary as to how much hop presence you want. This works with any IPA and lighter beer. AM lager is a great beer to blend with other beers. 

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2023, 07:51:46 am »
Blending is as old as beer itself.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2023, 08:25:01 am »
Years ago I went to Hop Back Brewery in Salisbury, England and enjoyed a pint or two. While I was there, a couple of older gentlemen came in to get growlers filled, but they were using plastic milk jugs and blending the beers off the taps to take out. I'd never seen that before.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 08:47:21 am »
Last night I was out. The waitress was alarmed when I ordered an IPA. She wanted me to try it first. I did and it was fine. She told me she didn’t like how bitter it was.

On to blending. She said she liked to blend the Hooter Brown and the Dirty Blonde. She said that was a Dirty Hooter. That was especially funny because she was easily in her mid-sixties.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 11:07:43 am »
Last night I was out. The waitress was alarmed when I ordered an IPA. She wanted me to try it first. I did and it was fine. She told me she didn’t like how bitter it was.

On to blending. She said she liked to blend the Hooter Brown and the Dirty Blonde. She said that was a Dirty Hooter. That was especially funny because she was easily in her mid-sixties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ScallyWag

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 03:13:11 pm »
I often blend red wines when I get a bottle that is too one-dimensional or missing something, I can typically determine another wine I have on hand that would be complementary such that blend is superior to either separately.  I've heard people complain that is sacrilege, but those people don't understand that some of the best wines in the worlds go through exactly that same blending process before bottling.

My beer palate & experience is nowhere near as advanced as my wine palate, so I don't think that I could do that very well with beers yet.  But I definitely understand the concept behind why someone may do it with beer. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 03:24:57 pm »
I often blend red wines when I get a bottle that is too one-dimensional or missing something, I can typically determine another wine I have on hand that would be complementary such that blend is superior to either separately.  I've heard people complain that is sacrilege, but those people don't understand that some of the best wines in the worlds go through exactly that same blending process before bottling.

My beer palate & experience is nowhere near as advanced as my wine palate, so I don't think that I could do that very well with beers yet.  But I definitely understand the concept behind why someone may do it with beer.
You know, I've never thought to blend wines like that, but after you described it, it sounds like a no-brainer. I don't drink enough wine at home where I often find myself with multiple bottles open, but I might experiment just for the hell of it.

As far as beer goes, I don't generally blend my beer outside of the occasional black and tan. I only keep 3 beers on tap, so if I brew something that's meh It will just end up being the next tap to get replaced when I'm ready to put a new beer on tap. If you keep a bigger stockpile around, I could see how it could be useful, but if I have a good beer on tap I'm a lot more likely to drink it as-is rather than use it to try to save a different batch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer