Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Helles (Bavarian) & German Kolsch Grain Bill  (Read 2914 times)

TXFlyGuy

Re: German Helles (Bavarian) & German Kolsch Grain Bill
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 05:47:29 am »
Excellent.  Is there something special about “Bavarian” versus “Munich” Helles here?  Just wondering if you modified something to achieve a slightly different profile of some sort.

Cheers!

Not really, as Bavaria is where Munich is located. The natives there consider themselves Bavarian's first, and German's second.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 07:06:58 am »
Excellent.  Is there something special about “Bavarian” versus “Munich” Helles here?  Just wondering if you modified something to achieve a slightly different profile of some sort.

Cheers!

The BJCP guidlines specify Munich Helles. Those are large industrial breweries with strict process control.

Helles in other parts of Germany can exhibit more bitterness and aroma. The breweries are often small family run business. The equipment is often old, and the process may be traditional (how Opa did it). The beers are more rustic, maybe some rough edges. I enjoy both types.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 07:01:56 pm »
Hi, Jeff:

That’s what I was getting at...for example Weihenstephaner Original or Augustine Lagerbier Hell per BJCP and the unicorn I chase...my favorite style category of all beers.  I was thinking maybe a countryside beer might have snuck into Myron’s example that was worth knowing about.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 06:28:39 am »

Cheers!

The BJCP guidlines specify Munich Helles. Those are large industrial breweries with strict process control.

Helles in other parts of Germany can exhibit more bitterness and aroma. The breweries are often small family run business. The equipment is often old, and the process may be traditional (how Opa did it). The beers are more rustic, maybe some rough edges. I enjoy both types.

Based on my sample taste test, this is going to be a middle-of-the-road Helles, with IBU’s right at 21-22. Perfect!

We have Hofbrau Munich Original, Pilsner Urquell, and Stella on tap in our bar. And I like my new Helles better, or that’s my first impression.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:30:43 am by Myron Oleson »

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 06:33:02 am »
Hi, Jeff:

That’s what I was getting at...for example Weihenstephaner Original or Augustine Lagerbier Hell per BJCP and the unicorn I chase...my favorite style category of all beers.  I was thinking maybe a countryside beer might have snuck into Myron’s example that was worth knowing about.

Cheers!

I don’t think anything snuck in on us!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2020, 07:13:18 am »
From the BJCP 2015 guidelines.

"Helles in Munich tends to be lighter in all aspects than those outside the city, which can be more assertive with more body, flavor, and hop character."

The high end of the guidelines is 22 IBU. There are ones in Germany probably in the high 20s, but not the Munich ones.

We dropped off NHC entries at Fat Head's brewery near Cleveland. Was talking to a friend who said try the GoldenEye Lager, it's a Helles, though the hop rate is high. It tasted like a Franconia Helles, and he said the is where the owner/ brewer goes when in Germany.

From their website

GOLDENEYE PALE GERMAN LAGER: 5.1% ABV 28 IBU This beer is inspired by our own Brew master’s trips to Germany. Goldeneye is a traditional German Helles (meaning light) that is medium bodied, mildly sweet with a low bitterness.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!