Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dumbest thing I’ve done in a while  (Read 1686 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Dumbest thing I’ve done in a while
« on: March 01, 2020, 04:58:41 pm »
Brewed a Munich Dunkel today and harvested yeast from the bottom of a Helles as I was brewing. Set yeast in 2L mason sat aside. When I came back to pitch I had distinct layers with the “healthy” part in the middle (White/creamy). Went to pour off the top and somehow ended up pouring most of the yeast down the drain. Ended up pitching only the dregs on the bottom of the jar and now have to go find yeast tomorrow. What would have been an otherwise perfect brew day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:49:33 pm by majorvices »

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Dumbest thing I’ve done in a while
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:12:38 pm »
  Is that even possible? The perfect brew day that is.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 05:49:00 pm »
  Is that even possible? The perfect brew day that is.

Hahahaha yeah, something always happens. But this was crucial. I'm not exactly sure how i did this. It was beautiful healthy yeast.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 06:09:19 pm »
Reminds me of the story, I think it was Jim from the northwest, about pouring his hot dog cooking liquid into his bottling bucket instead of his priming solution.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 08:32:18 pm »
Oh it was dumb... not that dumb though!  :)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 06:31:02 am »
Reminds me of the story, I think it was Jim from the northwest, about pouring his hot dog cooking liquid into his bottling bucket instead of his priming solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 08:04:03 am »
Which says to me you were trying too hard....I would  have just pitched the whole thing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 08:57:26 am »
Which says to me you were trying too hard....I would  have just pitched the whole thing.

Oh yeah, I'd have gone right on top of the cake! The problem was it was still really liquidy and there were distinct layers. Keep in mind I'm used to using yeast brinks and cone to cone transfer so this was a novelty. I'm not sure how I didn't notice I was pouring it all down the drain! Luckily i can get a pitch from the brewery today.

Offline Alfredbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 02:21:39 pm »
After recently having a big mouth bubbler slide through my hands and dump 2 of the 5 1/2 gallons of peanut butter porter on the floor a couple of feet from the closet, I can tell you I wasn't over it until I got back on the horse and brewed a couple of weeks later. Six or 7 turns with the carpet cleaner didn't ease my frustration, but it did finally get the beer out of the carpet. Stuff happens if you brew enough. Hopefully round two goes better for you.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 03:16:49 pm »
After recently having a big mouth bubbler slide through my hands and dump 2 of the 5 1/2 gallons of peanut butter porter on the floor a couple of feet from the closet, I can tell you I wasn't over it until I got back on the horse and brewed a couple of weeks later. Six or 7 turns with the carpet cleaner didn't ease my frustration, but it did finally get the beer out of the carpet. Stuff happens if you brew enough. Hopefully round two goes better for you.

Oh Lord, that sucks! Unfortunately I've dropped and broken many carboys over the years. The worst was a wet 5 gallon batch of Barley Wine that slipped out of my hands on the steps headed to the basement (it was late and I admit I was a wee bit drunk). Had to rip the carpet out of the steps. Had a few other dumb ones (leaving the valve on the BK open while sparging, that was genius) .... this one will be fine I was able to get an active pitch from the brewery I work at so it will be chugging away soon! :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 03:26:00 pm by majorvices »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 03:35:12 pm »

Oh Lord, that sucks! Unfortunately I've dropped and broken many carboys over the years. The worst was a wet 5 gallon batch of Barley Wine that slipped out of my hands on the steps headed to the basement (it was late and I admit I was a wee bit drunk). Had to rip the carpet out of the steps. Had a few other dumb ones (leaving the valve on the BK open while sparging, that was genius) .... this one will be fine I was able to get an active pitch from the brewery I work at so it will be chugging away soon! :)

Years ago I had 10 gal. of double decocted German pils in 2 carboys.  One just barely bumped the other and all 10 gal. went down the floor drain.  That wasn't the first time I broke a carboy, but it was the last....haven't used one since.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 04:02:09 pm »

Years ago I had 10 gal. of double decocted German pils in 2 carboys.  One just barely bumped the other and all 10 gal. went down the floor drain.  That wasn't the first time I broke a carboy, but it was the last....haven't used one since.

No more glass for me either, brother! Been a long time! i Love these "Big Mouth Bubbler" style fermentors. So much easier and lighter!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 04:18:53 pm »

No more glass for me either, brother! Been a long time! i Love these "Big Mouth Bubbler" style fermentors. So much easier and lighter!

I'm pretty much all SS these days.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2020, 05:48:36 pm »
99.9% of the beer I brew hits stainless. homebrew hits plastic. ;)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 08:56:28 am »

Thanks for that anecdote, now I don't feel quite so bad about running ~1 gallon of 1.099 IRIBA wort out on the kitchen floor the other day [open valve on the chiller bucket of course]. For a second I actually wondered if there was any way to salvage the stuff, fortunately sanity quickly prevailed. My one absolute rule on brewday is no beers until the FV is safely in the basement.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!