Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Suggestions for CO2 regulator  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Suggestions for CO2 regulator
« on: March 09, 2020, 09:12:51 am »
Looking to buy a new one.  Which brand do you reccomend?  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Black Lion Homebrewery

• Cellarman
Re: Suggestions for CO2 regulator
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 10:06:20 am »
For home and work, I've always used Taprite. Rebuild kits and parts are readily available. I haven't noticed them drift much if at all.  But for the modest cost increase, I've got peace of mind that they work well.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 10:06:56 am »
I have a Komos for CO2 and a Taprite for Nitro. The Komos "looks" nicer to me, but honestly, they both seem to perform equally well.

Features I would recommend:

1. Two pressure gauges. Tank pressure and serving pressure. I do wish the lower pressure gauges were 0-50 psi instead of 0-100 psi. Beer serving pressures for me tend to be maxed out at about 15 psi. The 100 psi gauge makes it a little difficult to be too precise.
2. An outlet shutoff valve. The Komos didn't come with one. Can't imagine why not.
3. A check valve to prevent beer from backflowing into the regulator.
Roger

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 10:17:23 am »
I've had great results from Taprite. Not sure of the brand that came with my Tower kit about 10 years ago, but it appeared to be of reasonable quality. It went south after about 3 years and I replaced it with a Taprite that's been going strong ever since.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 11:12:40 am »
... Taprite. Rebuild kits and parts are readily available. I haven't noticed them drift much if at all.  But for the modest cost increase, I've got peace of mind that they work well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 06:31:21 pm »
Micromatics are really expensive, but man are they nice.  I’m currently running six taps, with the capacity to have eight kegs carbonating in my kegerator.  Four use the micromatic regulators (each individually) and four off of the regulator on the tank.  I wish all eight were running individual regulators.  I really like dialing in each based on the style I’m serving.  I haven’t gone to a second set of micromatic regulators as it’s really only around the holiday season where I have all six taps filled. 

Offline Jimandi Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 06:36:14 pm »
We've been very happy with this one for our 4-tap keezer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G8NK4FJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

YMMV

Jim