Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Break Rest  (Read 1837 times)

TXFlyGuy

Cold Break Rest
« on: March 03, 2020, 01:13:39 pm »
Read that a cold break rest of 2 hours is recommended to avoid chill haze.
I have never done this before...how about you?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cold Break Rest
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 01:15:31 pm »
Nope, never heard of it or done it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 02:00:02 pm »
Nope, me neither - would it be done under a CO2 environment or open to O2 pickup?  I think getting the yeast working right away would be preferred over a further extended time for settling of the cold break and trub.  But, some folks will do that and then rack off the clear wort, so maybe that it what is intended?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 07:33:46 pm »
Found it here on the BYO website, https://byo.com/article/conquer-chill-haze/

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 10:12:45 pm »
I didn't see a date on that article, but it also recommended a hard boil for an hour which is no longer considered necessary or desirable. It looked to me as if it was an old article, but with no date it is hard to be sure.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 04:47:54 am »
I didn't see a date on that article, but it also recommended a hard boil for an hour which is no longer considered necessary or desirable. It looked to me as if it was an old article, but with no date it is hard to be sure.

Most recipes I see call for 60 minutes, 90 minutes, or longer. We normally do 90 to 120 minute boils. Vigorous rolling boils.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 05:18:43 am »
Latest theory is: Vigorous boils do more harm that good. The theory states a simmer to a low asymmetrical boil is all that’s needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 05:24:28 am »
I remember things like a long rest after chilling being the recommendation a couple decades ago when I was just starting out.  I believe the idea was that you had to transfer perfectly clear wort into your FV to get clear beer.  I've never noticed that to be true and I've never been patient enough to let a batch sit that long.

So much has changed in 23 years.  I sometimes wonder how we made anything worth drinking in the dark ages.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 06:05:59 am »
I remember things like a long rest after chilling being the recommendation a couple decades ago when I was just starting out.  I believe the idea was that you had to transfer perfectly clear wort into your FV to get clear beer.  I've never noticed that to be true and I've never been patient enough to let a batch sit that long.

So much has changed in 23 years.  I sometimes wonder how we made anything worth drinking in the dark ages.

Paul

Active brewer for 20 years, but took a 10 year vacation. Now back into it, big time. So everything we learned needs to be discarded? No rolling boils? No cold break rest? Cloudy beer in the fermenter is Ok? This is all new to me.
A local brewer in my area makes a big deal out of their fire-brewed, that is, rolling boil beers.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 06:08:04 am »

Active brewer for 20 years, but took a 10 year vacation. Now back into it, big time. So everything we learned needs to be discarded? No rolling boils? No cold break rest? Cloudy beer in the fermenter is Ok? This is all new to me.

Yes, if you haven't brewed for a few years, it isn't too far off to try to simply forget everything you thought you ever knew, and start all over again from scratch.  That's how much the hobby has changed.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 06:23:10 am »
Latest theory is: Vigorous boils do more harm that good. The theory states a simmer to a low asymmetrical boil is all that’s needed.

+1

I have read this theory many times and it’s been stated in this forum many times.  I have been practicing this theory with great success.  In fact, I had to adjust the boil-off rate in my software to compensate.  The exact reason for the effectiveness of this theory is a mystery to my small mind; I think it might be part of the “science” aspect of this hobby???
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 06:50:48 am »
The Germans often have flotation tanks where the cold break is allowed the settle for 24 hours, then clear wort goes to the Fermenter, and yeast is pitched.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BrewBama

Cold Break Rest
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 08:05:43 am »

+1

I have read this theory many times and it’s been stated in this forum many times.  I have been practicing this theory with great success.  In fact, I had to adjust the boil-off rate in my software to compensate.  The exact reason for the effectiveness of this theory is a mystery to my small mind; I think it might be part of the “science” aspect of this hobby???
Martin did a presentation on it at AHA Conference and did an article in Zymurgy. ...but bottom line of both: a vigorous boil is detrimental.

I had to adjust recipes as well.

The Germans often have flotation tanks where the cold break is allowed the settle for 24 hours, then clear wort goes to the Fermenter, and yeast is pitched.
The Low Oxygen brewers also xfer wort to an intermediate vessel to settle out particulates then xfer to FV. I’m not sure they wait 24 hrs but the desired effect is clear wort into the FV.

Many (non LO brewers) believe the trüb causes no harm. Others say it improves the beer.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 08:30:29 am by BrewBama »

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 08:45:53 am »
I recall that the low oxygen brewers condone taking some grub to the fermenter but not all. Thought I read maybe 30% maximum.

Correct me if I am wrong.   
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 10:37:50 am »
Found it here on the BYO website, https://byo.com/article/conquer-chill-haze/

For what its worth, I have been builing an Access database of every article in every BYO publication dating back to the July-August, 2013 issue and up to the end of 2019 (I know, I need to get a life) and I can't find any reference to this article.  So, I think its safe to assume this technique might be a bit dated.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉