Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Break Rest  (Read 1839 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Cold Break Rest
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 11:31:11 am »
Read that a cold break rest of 2 hours is recommended to avoid chill haze.
I have never done this before...how about you?

I have never done it because I have never had the capacity to do so, i.e. cool quickly to below beer service temperature and maintain cold (and also leave behind the hot and cold break).  A combination of kegging and patience does allow my beer to fully clarify in about a month.

narvin

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 12:49:28 pm »
German brewers do remove most of the cold trub for a number of reasons.  See  http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/trub-seperation-why-and-how/ for more details if you're interested.

That being said, I have never seen any issue with beer clearing due to trub in the fermenter.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 01:07:24 pm »
It probably doesn't make that much difference one way or another. I have run my lagers through a centrifuge to remove the hot break post boil (commercial brewing set up) and I have gone so far as to dump cold break. Never noticed any real difference in clarity or flavor (of course, I can get my beers crystal clear with finings and/or centrifuge). In the end it ended up being more hassle than it was worth. I have won several awards with my lagers (and ales!)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 06:03:56 pm »
Found it here on the BYO website, https://byo.com/article/conquer-chill-haze/

For what its worth, I have been builing an Access database of every article in every BYO publication dating back to the July-August, 2013 issue and up to the end of 2019 (I know, I need to get a life) and I can't find any reference to this article.  So, I think its safe to assume this technique might be a bit dated.
Thanks for confirming my hunch. I think there is a lesson here that every article should have a date in it somewhere, at the top or at the bottom.

P.S. This post was written on March 4, 2020
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's