Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any advantage to my method for saving yeast?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Alfredbrewer

• Cellarman
Any advantage to my method for saving yeast?
« on: March 03, 2020, 03:40:42 pm »
I'm new to the liquid yeast world. So far, so good though. I'm just wondering if my method has any advantage over getting the slurry from a fermentor. I make an approximately 1800 ml starter and save around 300 ml from the starter and store it in a Mason jar. Next time I use the yeast I dump most of the Mason jar that's sitting on the settled cake and swirl it around to stir up the yeast and then dump it into my flask and off to the stir plate it goes. 5 gallon batches. My initial thought was that would be the purest version of the yeast, but am I overthinking it since it's new territory?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Any advantage to my method for saving yeast?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 04:29:39 pm »
If you mean you're harvesting yeast from a starter and using it to make another starter, many brewers have been doing that for several years. It works well. Can't remember exactly when, but I was first made aware of this method in a post by Marshall Schott, I believe prior to Brulosophy, and used it for several years.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Alfredbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 04:37:33 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Going to be kegging the batch from the first re pitch soon. I know I am not reinventing the wheel at all, it's just new to me. Didn't really know if this was really a better way or just a different way. It seems easy enough, so that is what I've been doing for the last 5 or 6 batches with 4 different strains.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 09:08:41 pm »
I think the biggest advantage is you have clean yeast. There's no need to worry about harvesting from a heavily dry hopped beer, a beer with a problematic fermentation or a dark beer. No need for rinsing or washing your yeast.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 03:04:56 pm »
If the yeast is only a week or two old there is no reason to make a starter. Just pitch directly!

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 03:55:58 pm »
I'm new to the liquid yeast world. So far, so good though. I'm just wondering if my method has any advantage over getting the slurry from a fermentor. I make an approximately 1800 ml starter and save around 300 ml from the starter and store it in a Mason jar. Next time I use the yeast I dump most of the Mason jar that's sitting on the settled cake and swirl it around to stir up the yeast and then dump it into my flask and off to the stir plate it goes. 5 gallon batches. My initial thought was that would be the purest version of the yeast, but am I overthinking it since it's new territory?

I think that's actually a great idea. Over build a starter, save some and rebuild that for the next brew. Definitely is going to be free from trub and dead yeast cells.

FWIW, I collect after cold crashing into a 1/2 gallon mason jar, tight lid (yea yea I know, leave the lid loose. never had an issue, yet :) then I put it into my 36* refrigerator. I have read from various forums and magazines to use that yeast within two weeks. I have saved, then used harvested yeast that has been refrigerated for months and have had zero perceived issues. Obviously I build a nice vibrant starter and I tend to over pitch. I also never wash my harvested yeast. When building my starter with it I will try and leave whatever trub is on the bottom of the jar in place.

Offline Alfredbrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 04:36:59 pm »
My life schedule and fermentor schedule leaves my saved yeast in the fridge in a Mason jar for longer than some seem to prefer also. I wish I could brew every weekend! Hahahaha. If it's a month, then it's going to be a month. If it's two, then it's two. Depends on what I'm brewing as to which strain I'm going to use. I'll use it when I need it and if I get a bad batch I'll adjust my process as I learn. Thanks for the knowledge. Makes me feel better about what I'm doing. I appreciate everyone's responses.

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 06:46:26 pm »
I've been using your method for years.  I've kept a few strains going for over a year. Although it might not be necessary, I'll occasionally build up a strain that's sat unused for a while just to keep it active.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 09:14:42 am »
 I know commercial brewers who insist that 2 weeks is the maximum storage for harvested yeast, and that's only if it's in a yeast brink. My limited experience is quite different, I've successfully used yeast that's been in a jar in the fridge under beer for more than 2 months on more than one occasion, I've also had yeast stored the same way that's become autolytic in less than a month. Anymore if it smells or tastes autolytic I dump it, if it doesn't then I'll huck it in a starter and see if it flies.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 05:11:49 pm »
I’ve kept yeast under beer for a few months and it’s still good at cellar temps.  I proof it like you would yeast for baking by filching off a teaspoon and mixing it with a little sugar.  If it shows signs of life I pitch the whole jar.