Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pellet vs Dried Whole  (Read 5059 times)

Fire Rooster

Pellet vs Dried Whole
« on: March 04, 2020, 11:50:21 am »
I am starting to think that whole cone hops are smoother, and not as harsh as pellets.
Could this be so ?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pellet vs Dried Whole
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 12:08:15 pm »
Not in my experience.  And knowing how good pellets are made, there shouldn't be.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 01:42:42 pm »
There is still much debate on this topic.  Depends who you ask.  I haven't done a side by side tasting experiment to come to any firm conclusions, but I would suggest that anyone interested should do so.  I hypothesize that pellets might be superior to whole hops.  But that's just a guess; I don't really know for sure.

Have fun figuring it out.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 01:56:08 pm »
There is still much debate on this topic.  Depends who you ask.  I haven't done a side by side tasting experiment to come to any firm conclusions, but I would suggest that anyone interested should do so.  I hypothesize that pellets might be superior to whole hops.  But that's just a guess; I don't really know for sure.

Have fun figuring it out.  :)

And its also very dependdent on who makes the pellets and how they're made. Not all pellets are equal.  I have found pellets superior to whole hops for many reasons, but I know how the pellets I get are made.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 02:46:21 pm »
I am starting to think that whole cone hops are smoother, and not as harsh as pellets.
Could this be so ?

That could be because, typically, you get about 10% better utilization out of pellets. Even if what you suspect is true, the advantages of using pellets still outweigh any negatives. A negative like being slightly harsher can easily be remedied.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Fire Rooster

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 02:03:29 am »
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 02:24:38 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 05:21:41 am »
Once I went to stainless mesh canisters for pellet hops, it changed my preference to pellets.  I’m not terribly concerned with how the hops are pelletized, as long as the results are good.  My LHBS sells Yakima Chief, mostly, so maybe I’ve just been lucky with what I’ve bought from it....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 08:56:01 am »
We are thrilled that many of you like pellets! That means less competition in obtaining our preferred hops, whole cone.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 09:12:38 am »
We are thrilled that many of you like pellets! That means less competition in obtaining our preferred hops, whole cone.

Yeah, there will be lots of inferior product left for you!  😁

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 12:22:29 pm »
Of course that puts you in the same dilemma as dry yeast users: way less variety.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 03:56:28 pm »
Of course that puts you in the same dilemma as dry yeast users: way less variety.

That’s a sacrifice we will gladly make. Don’t like pellets. But, that’s a personal problem.

Read this if you want to learn why we always choose whole cone - http://brulosophy.com/2015/02/23/whole-leaf-vs-pellet-hops-part-1-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 04:23:41 pm by Myron Oleson »

narvin

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 06:04:44 pm »

That’s a sacrifice we will gladly make. Don’t like pellets. But, that’s a personal problem.

Read this if you want to learn why we always choose whole cone - http://brulosophy.com/2015/02/23/whole-leaf-vs-pellet-hops-part-1-dry-hop-exbeeriment-results/

In my experience, dry hopping was the place where I could tell the difference between pellets and whole hops.  Specifically, getting really bad oxidation problems using whole hops to dry hop American IPAs.  I like whole hops when they're fresh otherwise, but for European varieties that seems to be rare.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 07:27:54 pm »
I like using whole cone hops, the work well in my system. They have gotten harder to find. I use more pellets now. They both work.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 07:05:29 am »
I like using whole cone hops, the work well in my system. They have gotten harder to find. I use more pellets now. They both work.

Yes, for sure, they both work. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
Everyone’s experience will vary depending on personal preference.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 08:25:06 am »
Brulosophy did a side by side comparison of pellet vs whole cone hops. Out of 21 tasters in a triangle test 12 of them were able to pick out the unique sample. They then took those 12 and asked them to take a preference survey. Three said they prefer the sample made with whole cone hops. and three said they preferred the one made with pellet hops. The remaining 6 had no preference.

After all of that however they author had this to say in his conclusions:

One unavoidable caveat to this xBmt is that, despite the hops being of the same variety and crop year, as well as from the same source, there’s no way to be certain they came from the same farm or processor. As such, it’s impossible to say with confidence that the differences perceived by tasters in this xBmt were due only to the form the hops were in, as it could be a function of something like growing conditions, processing, etc.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato