Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pellet vs Dried Whole  (Read 5062 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Pellet vs Dried Whole
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 08:46:41 am »
I decided to replicate the experiment I saw on YouTube. I poured the same amount of boiling water over one ounce of pellets and one ounce of whole leaf. The first noticeable difference is absorption. In an hour I’ll filter thru a coffee filter and see what the resulting tea looks like.

BTW: ordering from Hops Direct was a very positive experience. I ordered Mon at 0830 and the hops were delivered Thurs at noon.

One hr later:

The whole leaf quickly drained thru the filter to fill the stange with a golden tea.

The pellets clogged the filter and took an extraordinarily long time to drain a Golden/Green tea into the stange.

The pellet tea is sharply more bitter than the whole leaf tea.

Edit: overnight the pellet particles settled out resulting in a less green stained golden liquid:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:03:17 am by BrewBama »

Fire Rooster

Re: Pellet vs Dried Whole
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2020, 01:53:40 pm »
Thanks, good to know  :)
Hop tea to the right looks like it was made out of sticks and dirt  ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:12:37 pm by Fire Rooster »

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 03:47:10 pm »
Cool! Going to share this with my brewing partners so they can appreciate why we use whole leaf hops. A picture is worth 10,000 words!

narvin

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 04:18:34 pm »
Cool! Going to share this with my brewing partners so they can appreciate why we use whole leaf hops. A picture is worth 10,000 words!

Any hops particles from pellets won’t make it out of the fermenter, let alone stay in suspension after chilling.  But they do help with utilization.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 08:33:38 am »

Any hops particles from pellets won’t make it out of the fermenter, let alone stay in suspension after chilling.  But they do help with utilization.

THIS^^^^^   what was the test above trying to show?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 12:49:01 pm »
I wasn’t trying to show anymore than what was posted: how a given qty of hops react in a given qty of boiling water by observing the liquid (a) after straining and (b) overnight.  Take it with a grain of salt.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 01:17:28 pm »
I wasn’t trying to show anymore than what was posted: how a given qty of hops react in a given qty of boiling water by observing the liquid (a) after straining and (b) overnight.  Take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks.  I don't really see how that relates to the beer, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 06:34:11 pm »

Hops, barley, water, yeast. Beer!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 10:12:17 pm »

Apparently you also need a grain of salt (in Alabama, anyway).
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Fire Rooster

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 04:42:13 am »
I don't believe it's a matter of being different, it's a matter of being able to sense the difference.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1997-03-20-9703170256-story.html

That's why I take it with "a grain of salt" when taste tests are done, only 25% have what it takes.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Taster-Test-Storage-Instructions/dp/B00BEZ5KJQ
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 04:51:34 am by Fire Rooster »

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2020, 06:17:57 am »

Apparently you also need a grain of salt (in Alabama, anyway).

I had beer with more than just-a-grain...with the entire rim salted and a wedge of lime. It was surprisingly good. And that was in Mexico.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2020, 07:25:08 am »
I don't believe it's a matter of being different, it's a matter of being able to sense the difference.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1997-03-20-9703170256-story.html

That's why I take it with "a grain of salt" when taste tests are done, only 25% have what it takes.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Taster-Test-Storage-Instructions/dp/B00BEZ5KJQ

From what I have read over the years, supertasters have an elevated sensitivity to bitterness. Other tastes are not elevated from what I have read.

Taste is sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami. Flavors come from the sense of taste and aroma. About 80% of our flavor comes from aroma.

Everyone has flavor blind spots. There are 20% that don't perceive diacetyl. I know someone who doesn't pick up chlorophynol.

Tasting panels have multiple evaluators. The evaluators are often screened with off flavor testing. I've had a couple of off flavor trying sessions, those can be an interesting experience.

https://portal-siebel.lallemand.com/sensory-training-kits

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2020, 11:49:08 am »
The biggest takeaway here is: Use what works for YOU and YOUR system. Most commercial breweries have no way to process whole cone hops. They will clog the pumps, chillers, plumbing, etc. 15 or 20 years ago I used a lot more whole hops than I use now but I had a kettle that was deigned to work with whole cone hops so they worked. Personally I feel that pelletized hops are better than whole cone for many different reasons... but Sierra Nevada claims to still use whole cone hops and if that is true, well, they use them very well because I love their beers.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2020, 12:47:45 pm »
This Old House did a season out in Paradise, CA late last year after the fire.  One of their side stories was a visit to Sierra Nevada brewery.  One part of the visit was a tour of the brew house.  In the background you could see 2 men using shovels to fill trash cans with whole leaf hops straight off bails.  It didn't look like it was for show.  Later they showed someone dumping a trash can full of hops into a fermenter.

I didn't really think about it while watching the show but I never saw any pellets.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2020, 01:33:43 pm »
This Old House did a season out in Paradise, CA late last year after the fire.  One of their side stories was a visit to Sierra Nevada brewery.  One part of the visit was a tour of the brew house.  In the background you could see 2 men using shovels to fill trash cans with whole leaf hops straight off bails.  It didn't look like it was for show.  Later they showed someone dumping a trash can full of hops into a fermenter.

I didn't really think about it while watching the show but I never saw any pellets.

Paul

We try to imitate the pros. If it works for them, maybe it works for us!