Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: London Ale III in a west coast IPA  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Sasquatchpedalian

• 1st Kit
London Ale III in a west coast IPA
« on: March 04, 2020, 05:01:08 pm »
I'd like to use LAIII in an Ipa for a bit more ester, but I don't want to make a hazy. Does anyone have experience using it in a more traditional american Ipa practice. I was thinking about a more even water profile (up to 2:1 sulfate to chloride) and limiting the use of flaked/high protein grains. I love a bit of the old school dry hop haze but would like to avoid the turbid look for personal preference.

Offline 4dogbrewer

• Cellarman
Re: London Ale III in a west coast IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 05:25:46 am »
I have used it a few times and it cleared fine. Finished fine, no issues.

Offline jverduin

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 07:29:44 am »
I'd like to use LAIII in an Ipa for a bit more ester, but I don't want to make a hazy. Does anyone have experience using it in a more traditional american Ipa practice. I was thinking about a more even water profile (up to 2:1 sulfate to chloride) and limiting the use of flaked/high protein grains. I love a bit of the old school dry hop haze but would like to avoid the turbid look for personal preference.
I think that strain clears really well under most circumstances. It sounds like you are omitting or lessening the traditional NEIPA components don’t it seems like it would do what a high flocculating strain would do.

I find it to be a low attenuator, so maybe mash low and consider ingredients that won’t let leave lots of unfermentables behind.

It should be fine. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 03:35:48 pm »
I used it in a spruce beer made primarily with just base malt not too long ago and it dropped out bright. 

narvin

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 04:26:45 pm »
In my opinion the haziness isn’t due to the yeast strain itself but related to dry hopping during the primary fermentation.  1318 is listed as a high flocculator by Wyeast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 09:34:58 am »
In my opinion the haziness isn’t due to the yeast strain itself but related to dry hopping during the primary fermentation.  1318 is listed as a high flocculator by Wyeast.

We found that years back in an EB experiment.  Before haze was the craze, 1318 was the yeast most recommended for milds.  That yeast does not make beer hazy.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 11:14:13 am »
Unless their practice has changed, WY1318 is the house yeast at Hopworks in Portland, who was very late to get on the Hazy Bandwagon. They started out making an ESB, pale ale, American strong ale and stout as their main beers, but quickly adapted to the everything-IPA trend when that took off. Anyway, their IPAs are pretty popular in an IPA city and the original recipe of their black IPA was pretty influential when that style was taking off. In my experience with this yeast, it's great for most English styles and it's my first or second choice for dark American or British styles. Mash a couple degrees lower than you would for 1056 and you'll be pretty happy, I think.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 12:28:29 pm »
I find London ale iii has a particular character that I love in a lot of beers but does not fit well in my opinion with west coast ipa. It makes serviceable classic American styles especially if fermented cool and mashed a little lower but if you are buying fresh yeast maybe it makes sense to buy 1056 instead.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing