Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Building a better chili cheese dog  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Building a better chili cheese dog
« on: July 01, 2019, 07:42:35 pm »
Went to my favorite local drive in.   Been going there for decades, always for burgers (damn fine burgers,) never a dog.  Tonight, for some unknown reason, I was possessed to try their chili cheese dog, worrying that it could be a potentially hazardous item to eat in the car.  But:

Bun (clearly custom.)  Chili on the bun.  Cheese melted on that to stabilize it.  Oversize Nathan's Frank on top to lock it all down.  Custom bun (substantial enough) is sliced pretty shallow -- the Frank rides high, but the chili can soak down in without structurally compromising the bottom of the bun.

Tasty, and no mess.  Genius.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:46:02 pm by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline tommymorris

Re: Building a better chili cheese dog
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 08:48:45 pm »
Went to my favorite local drive in.   Been going there for decades, always for burgers (damn fine burgers,) never a dog.  Tonight, for some unknown reason, I was possessed to try their chili cheese dog, worrying that it could be a potentially hazardous item to eat in the car.  But:

Bun (clearly custom.)  Chili on the bun.  Cheese melted on that to stabilize it.  Oversize Nathan's Frank on top to lock it all down.  Custom bun (substantial enough) is sliced pretty shallow -- the Frank rides high, but the chili can soak down in without structurally compromising the bottom of the bun.

Tasty, and no mess.  Genius.
Sounds awesome!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 08:57:10 am »
I've been playing around with a corn bread chili cheese dog. It's not chili season yet so I haven't messed with it since last fall but I'll post some picks when I do.

Offline davidw

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 05:18:58 am »
Old thread but curious the name of this place? Will be over in your area this weekend and may just check it out!
"The intriguing situation about brewing, on the other hand, is that mechanisms are theoretically possible, and the real key to success is the ability to identify those that are genuinely relevant in any particular situation."

~ George Fix : Introduction, Principles of Brewing Science

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 03:55:08 pm »
Old thread but curious the name of this place? Will be over in your area this weekend and may just check it out!

SkyWay Drive-in, the Sky-Dog.  SkyWay is the less flashy party in the rivalry between the two long time local drive ins in Akron -- Swenson's is the other, and has expanded regionally in recent years.  It's one of those criteria natives have long sorted themselves out by:  Swenson's or SkyWay?  Used to be on the level religious sectarianism.  (Actually, I patronize both for different reasons.)  The original locations are just a mile or two apart on  West Market street, so you could do a gut busting tour if you're into the drive in thing.  Either place, a burger "with everything" means just mustard, pickle, and onion, and the signature drink is the California  --  a shot of grape phosphate syrup mixed in Ginger ale.  Everybody can agree on those points. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 02:20:32 am »
...Used to be on the level religious sectarianism. ...
That’s kinda the way college football is down here. Except you cannot like both.  Ever.  Choose this Day Whom You Will [Support].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk