Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Infection or impatience?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Scholastic Brewer

• 1st Kit
Infection or impatience?
« on: March 09, 2020, 12:22:49 pm »
I started a blueberry wine back in January and was looking to get it to about 14% so I pitched RC212. I have since made a Jalapeno wine with a slightly lower ABV which fermented and Clarified really well, but I am still getting activity in the Blueberry wine (a bubble in the Airlock every 2 minutes or so and lots of small bubbles just below the surface of the wine in the fermenter. I pulled a sample today and gravity was at about 0.996. No obvious off flavors, so I'm thinking I just need to wait a bit longer, but I've heard that slow activity like this can be a sign of infection so I just want to put my mind at rest or see what the next step should be. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help,
John

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Infection or impatience?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 01:16:57 pm »
More likely just dissolved CO2 coming out of solution.  At that gravity, I doubt there's anything left to ferment.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 01:58:57 pm »
Classic time to say that I'd pull a sample and see where the gravity is at. 

I packaged a couple of beers on Saturday that hadn't bubbled for over a week.  The temp went up on Saturday morning and the bubbles started.  They were done and I kegged them anyway.  bubbles don't really tell you much.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 02:26:49 pm »

I packaged a couple of beers on Saturday that hadn't bubbled for over a week.  The temp went up on Saturday morning and the bubbles started.  They were done and I kegged them anyway.  bubbles don't really tell you much.

Paul

"I pulled a sample today and gravity was at about 0.996. "
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 02:48:33 pm »

Paul

"I pulled a sample today and gravity was at about 0.996. "

Thanks.  I missed that between reading and typing.   ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 07:11:59 pm »
This seems totally normal to me. Denny is right that this is co2 coming out of solution, and it will for awhile. I would rack it and not worry.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.