Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fining, aging, avoiding/removing off flavors.  (Read 948 times)

Offline MetherKnowsBest

• 1st Kit
Fining, aging, avoiding/removing off flavors.
« on: March 07, 2020, 11:01:47 pm »
Have been brewing for a while but beginning to hit a wall in terms of perfecting my formulas. My talent lies in biochemistry, but I’m still a bit green so I’ll look to the grey for wisdom.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Fining, aging, avoiding/removing off flavors.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 06:11:47 am »
Are you asking about a specific beverage. I assume you are not talking about beer since you posted in this section. Are you making mead? Cider? Wine?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 07:27:49 am »
Some off flavors can be aged out, some can be addressed, some are permanent. Please answer Pete's questions.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MetherKnowsBest

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 11:18:27 am »
Are you asking about a specific beverage. I assume you are not talking about beer since you posted in this section. Are you making mead? Cider? Wine?
Mead, sorry about that.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 05:46:53 pm »
Mead, sorry about that.
Cool, I think I can help.
Off flavors: Ferment on the cold side: not too fussy but 60’s vs 70’s, at least keep in very low 70’s. Any higher and you will get nasty fusel alcohols which will taste hot and give you a headache.
Use a staggered nutrient schedule and degas, especially early in he process. Again not too fussy.
Be patient: it may take 4-6 weeks in primary. Keep secondary warmer like 68-72 and wait as long as it takes to clear.
 Ageing:Rack carefully into tertiary  and keep at cellar temps as long as you can stand, at least several months. Make sure in secondary and tertiary that carboys are filled into neck, keep very little headspace. Check that liquid still in in airlock regularly. Ok to use solid bungs in tertiary.
As far as finings go pectin enzyme in fruit meads along with letting it be a long time in secondary and cellaring is it for me and I get crystal clear every time
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.