Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 3660 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
COVID-19
« on: March 12, 2020, 09:10:09 am »
 As of this moment, there are 5 reported cases of Corona in Ohio. Can ya'll guess what has two thumbs and is quarantined for 14 days? THIS GUY!!!!

Yeah. I had second hand contact with patient #5. Just what you want when your wife has bone marrow failure leaving her with precisely zero immune system.  >:(
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 10:19:49 am »
Oh man!  Hang in there....you guys are in our thoughts.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:20:37 am »
Bad break. Be careful and wash, wash, wash.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 10:40:35 am »
Take care of yourself Weaze.  You are actually in a position where wearing a surgical mask is a good idea, around your wife, at least.  I'll add you to the list of folks who could use help.

I hope you get clear of it quickly and your wife is able avoid it.

Paul.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 06:08:16 pm »
All I can stress to you all is this.... Over the last month watching the news and have seen what's coming. So, I've had Miss Weaze stock up on non-perishables with every grocery trip. You all know the drill, the typical stuff we all to to stock up on for the zombie apocolypse. She thought I was nuts but did it anyways. Well.... here we are. Quarentined for 14 days. So, who's the dummy now!?!?!
   I'm begging you guys, if you haven't done so now, make provisions!! A very goodo friend of mine's sister is a surgeon at the renowned Cleveland Clinic. She says she has countless emails from the CDC and other agencies. This is A LOT bigger than we are being told. It's going to get much worse. She told me days ago that this is airborne. What's on the news outlets today? They just discovered that COVID is, in fact airborne. Take care of yourself boys and girls.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 07:18:00 pm »
Our prayers and best wishes for you and your wife. We always keep plenty of provisions on hand. As we've gotten older, the amounts have increased. You never know when you'll need the extras.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 06:18:16 am »
Best wishes to you and your family.
I admit to being skeptical about this spreading like this in the U.S. at first. We just decided to close down at work for at least a month. People travel to our institution from all over the country and world about a hundred at a time roughly once a week and we just decided it wouldn’t be responsible to remain open. Fortunately we are in a position to put all employees to work sprucing up etc. and continue paying them and maintain benefits for at least a couple months.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Vespasienne

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 06:27:03 am »
There are 1,832 confirmed cases in the US already, I hope it doesn't get any worse than this.

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 06:40:09 am »
There are 1,832 confirmed cases in the US already, I hope it doesn't get any worse than this.

It will get probably 100 times worse before it gets better.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 08:29:30 am »
I hope you are well brother. Also, FYI, I'm down to my last 4 rolls of TP... and they cancelled the CBC ... please send help!

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:46 am »
   The opportunity to isolate this was lost 2 months ago in China, it is almost a certainty now that every single one of us will at some point be exposed to it, the only unknown now is how long before that happens, one week, one month, one year? Once every person on the planet has been exposed, I am fairly sure it will become apparent the Covid19 isn't the cataclysmic event for most people that so many people thought it was going to be. That is not to suggest that it isn't a very real threat to a great many people who, due to various conditions, are at greater risk from all diseases and respiratory ones in particular, it undoubtedly is a serious threat.
   Without ignoring or trying to minimize the threat to those who are at greater risk, as I see it, the greatest risk to the vast majority of us is the blind panic that seems to be gripping so many people, and the irrational decisions that have been made and will continue to be made in response to the public's exaggerated fear. I hear ya on the last 4 rolls of TP thing, but that's liable to be one of the lesser disruptions we will have to endure before a modicum of sanity starts to return. 
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 12:10:57 pm »
   The opportunity to isolate this was lost 2 months ago in China, it is almost a certainty now that every single one of us will at some point be exposed to it, the only unknown now is how long before that happens, one week, one month, one year? Once every person on the planet has been exposed, I am fairly sure it will become apparent the Covid19 isn't the cataclysmic event for most people that so many people thought it was going to be. That is not to suggest that it isn't a very real threat to a great many people who, due to various conditions, are at greater risk from all diseases and respiratory ones in particular, it undoubtedly is a serious threat.
   Without ignoring or trying to minimize the threat to those who are at greater risk, as I see it, the greatest risk to the vast majority of us is the blind panic that seems to be gripping so many people, and the irrational decisions that have been made and will continue to be made in response to the public's exaggerated fear. I hear ya on the last 4 rolls of TP thing, but that's liable to be one of the lesser disruptions we will have to endure before a modicum of sanity starts to return.
This misses the point of what health experts are doing by urging these extraordinary steps such as avoiding public gatherings, social isolation, and hygeine. Yes, it can't be isolated but these steps will slow it down so that we don't end up with exponentially more seriously ill patients in a couple weeks than hospital beds and ventilators. Maybe some individuals are panicking but adhering to these guidelines is everyone's civic duty.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 05:46:57 pm »
   I don't think I miss the point. I wasn't advocating cavalierly ignoring sensible safety measures, I was simple making an observation about what to me is an unjustified level of panic that has permeated almost every level of society. Sensible people can disagree on what is appropriate in situations such as the one we currently face. From my perspective completely shutting down the world for the foreseeable future will ultimately cause more human suffering than it will save. IMO less draconian measures could be just as effective at slowing the spread of Covid19 but produce much less misery.
   FWIW Weaz I hope that your run of terrible fortunes ends soon.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:01:26 am by Visor »
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 09:35:52 am »
It'll be interesting to see how things go in the UK, where they're limiting closures to try and build herd immunity.

Hope everyone is safe and can get the supplies they need.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/world/europe/coronavirus-britain-boris-johnson.html

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 09:22:52 am »
   Maybe this is a bit cynical, but there does seem to be 1 positive effect from the virus. It occurred to me this morning that I haven't been receiving the usual number of robo-calls lately, checked the phone and sure enough only 2 in the last week and a half, whereas I normally average ~4-6 a day. Doyathink there might be a connection?