Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: can you add packaged candi syrup directly to fermentation?  (Read 2230 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
can you add packaged candi syrup directly to fermentation?
« on: March 12, 2020, 02:36:09 pm »
can i add this directly to the fermentation after its been going for a few days?

or should i boil it first in some water?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: can you add packaged candi syrup directly to fermentation?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 02:57:52 pm »
Sure, add directly. No problem.  It's not my preferred method, but I've done it without issue.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 03:10:47 pm »
Thanks denny. I'll take a look and see when i get it, sometimes LHBS repackage stuff after buying in bulk.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 04:03:42 pm »
I also have added straight to the FV. Zero perceptible issues. I love candi syrups in certain recipes of mine! Will be doing a Belgian Blonde next weekend with some.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 05:00:24 pm »
Yes during active fermentation like day three

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 05:34:14 pm »
Pardon my asking, but why would you want to dump sugar/candy in beer? No, it's not something we would do as we strictly adhere to the German Purity Law. Guess we are old fashioned!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 05:55:33 pm by BrewBama »

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 05:53:41 pm »
Adding a few days into fermentation can help kick start the yeast if it's struggling to ferment a high gravity beer
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 05:58:34 pm »
If it is a Belgian, that makes entirely good sense.  I like to add at high krausen to give the yeast the simple sugars after most fermentation is complete.  Maybe I am incorrect in that thinking, but I have had good results adding at high krausen (I also add honey or table sugar additions at that point, FWIW).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 07:50:45 am »
Pardon my asking, but why would you want to dump sugar/candy in beer? No, it's not something we would do as we strictly adhere to the German Purity Law. Guess we are old fashioned!

Because some of the greatest beers in the world are made with it.  There's a large world of beer outside of Germany.  To me, the question is why wouldn't you use it in some styles?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 09:13:09 am »

The Belgian and the British didn't have the constraints of the RHG. They make some lovely beers using sugar. The Belgian have the Candi sugar, from Beets IIRC, they grow sugar beets. The British use invert sugars from Cane sugar, as they had colonies in the Caribbean that still grow sugar cane.

Hey, I have some homemade Invert #3 to use soon.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 09:56:32 am »

it's funny to think of Belgian Trappist brewers as not being "old fashioned"  ;D

Big Monk

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 10:42:37 am »

it's funny to think of Belgian Trappist brewers as not being "old fashioned"  ;D

Right? We had a lengthy discussion about this on our last "World Beer Meeting" Zoom chat last week. Most, if not all, of the Trappist breweries are operating pretty modern, sophisticated brewhouses. There really is nothing old fashioned about that they do.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 10:50:59 am »

Right? We had a lengthy discussion about this on our last "World Beer Meeting" Zoom chat last week. Most, if not all, of the Trappist breweries are operating pretty modern, sophisticated brewhouses. There really is nothing old fashioned about that they do.

The ones that maintain their own yeast have sophisticated labs.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!