Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cider sparkling but not sweet  (Read 874 times)

Offline viniciustischer@hotmail.c

• 1st Kit
cider sparkling but not sweet
« on: April 27, 2020, 08:53:44 am »
Hi, my cider is getting really good in terms of carbonation and appearance. But, I can't get it to a desired sweetness content.
After fermentation (1-2 months) I do a simple pasteurization and include a% of apple juice (20-30%).
After that, I do the filling and wait about 1-2 months to the cider get ready.
Despite the good formation of gas and flavor, there are no traces of sweetness. Can someone help me? Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: cider sparkling but not sweet
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:07:20 am »
Its nearly impossible to make sweet cider since the sugar ferments put.  There are ways to kill the yeast nd backsweeten, but I don't do that so I'm no help there.  Another alternative is to just add a bit of apple juice to your glass before pouring the cider.  My preferred method to get a sweetish cider is through apple and yeast selection.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 11:40:41 am »
Its nearly impossible to make sweet cider since the sugar ferments put.  There are ways to kill the yeast nd backsweeten, but I don't do that so I'm no help there.  Another alternative is to just add a bit of apple juice to your glass before pouring the cider.  My preferred method to get a sweetish cider is through apple and yeast selection.
1450?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 11:44:46 am »
From your description, it sounds like you're using the naturally occurring CO2 from the fermentation of additional juice to carbonate your cider.  As Denny said, this will definitely make it more difficult to get a sweet cider.  Usually when back sweetening you should first add a sulfite (such as campden tablets or other metabisulfite), and then add potassium sorbate.  This will prevent fermentation from starting up again when you add additional sugars.  Although it will also prevent you from carbonating via fermentation.  You will need to keg the cider and force carbonate if you want it to be sparkling.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 11:45:19 am »
1450?

What else?  I've used a lot of years for cider over the years.  One year we lreswwed juice and I realized that was the only yeast I had on hand.  In 20 years of making cider that was the best batch ever, so that's what I continue to use.  Along with crabapple from one of our trees, it makes fantastic cider.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 02:28:22 pm »
1450?

What else?  I've used a lot of years for cider over the years.  One year we lreswwed juice and I realized that was the only yeast I had on hand.  In 20 years of making cider that was the best batch ever, so that's what I continue to use.  Along with crabapple from one of our trees, it makes fantastic cider.
I definitely want to give it a go in my next cider, although I don't know when as I'd have to order it online and I don't want liquid yeast to set around for a long time in a possibly warm warehouse waiting for ups to get around to picking it up.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Copymutt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 09:24:57 pm »
Many advantages to kegging. Case in point here, love hard cider and yes it ferments till its like dry champaign. Simply tossing in a can of concentrate after a short conditioning brightens up the sweet. Seems whatever yeast left slowly works on it at fridge temps and creates supper fuzz. If the sweetness cold ferments out just pop in another can. I have to embarrass my neighbor to get her lips off the tap.  :P

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 10:44:50 am »
I recently just kegged a Cider.  I added campden tablets and potassium sorbate as Joe mentioned.  I added back 1/2 gallon of apple juice after that for a 5 gallon batch.  It has a nice balance wouldn't consider it sweet and is definitely not as sweet as some ciders I've tasted.  I haven't notice it fermenting out or building pressure.  I would not follow this process if I was bottling, way to risky.  I would follow Denny's recommendation and just add apple juice to taste in the glass when drinking if you wanted a sweet hard cider and could only bottle.
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing