Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shortages at the grocery  (Read 6963 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Shortages at the grocery
« on: March 13, 2020, 07:38:25 pm »
I’ve never seen anything like it. The shelves are picked over and some are bare.  What are people going to do with all that toilet paper?  Wrap themselves in it for protection?  I actually asked my wife how long a roll lasts. We’re thinking a week but not really sure. It’s never crossed my mind.

Besides toilet paper, I went to pick up some ingredients for tomorrow’s breakfast and they didn’t have cream of chicken soup for the casserole I am planning.  Strange.

I’ve also found a shortage of distilled water on the shelves at the local grocery store. I have a planned brewday next week so I hope the shelves are stocked before then.  I might have to use — *gasp* — tap water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Robert

Re: Shortages at the grocery
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 07:51:57 pm »
I haven't been to a store since yesterday afternoon, as I was not planning to hoard stuff, and now I figure in a couple of days supplies will start to return and crowds will shrink.  (Got an email from the supermarket that they're working on restocking and will place per-customer limits on the items being raided.  And I think I'm good on TP for a while.)  I wasn't stocking up yesterday, just shopping for dinner.  But I did notice the toilet paper was all gone, and everyone at checkout had just about the last of the paper towels  -- apparently plan B.  Anyway, I heard today that paper goods and chicken are what was wiped out here in Akron.  Chicken?  That's a very specific protein choice. 

But the one odd thing I noticed was already gone yesterday was bagged salad.  Hmm, that's gonna be real tasty after you've hunkered in the bunker for a month. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 08:49:51 pm »
Growing up in a rural area in the 50s I know that toilet paper is a luxury, along with flush toilets. I will just leave that as is right there.

Now food, that is a requirement. Y'all got to eat. Water, that too, but do you expect the water, or power, to fail?

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 04:13:10 am »
Yeah, at first the hysteria was amusing, now it's just annoying.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 05:14:38 am »
“The trouble with the world is not that people know too little; it's that they know so many things that just aren't so. ”

― Mark Twain

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 06:00:41 am »
“The trouble with the world is not that people know too little; it's that they know so many things that just aren't so. ”

― Mark Twain
There’s a quote that fits our times so well.
I live in a rural enough area that I can’t just run out and get whatever I want in 20 minutes and we do a lot of cooking so I am used to keeping a full larder. Also we put up a lot of food from the garden by canning, freezing and in the root cellar. I don’t want to say how much mead we have.
The toilet paper thing is funny. Doesn’t everyone keep extra tp around? Do people usually wait until they are on the last square? My sense is most people are acting in prudent ways by minimizing time in public but a smaller amount of morons are causing the headaches.

Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 08:21:12 am »
My daughter, who is 4 months pregnant, called my wife crying last night because she cannot find toilet paper and other basics anywhere. A neighbor of mine with 3 little boys was in the same boat. People just trying to do their regular shopping and being harmed because these idiots are in a panic.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 08:33:26 am »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 08:58:10 am »
It’ll be okay.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 09:04:13 am »
My daughter, a family nurse practicioner, suggested that our government/political folks and the news media should all be given a small regular dose of Xanax to calm them and help them avoid the "henny penny" routine.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 11:17:09 am »
It’ll be okay.

Hey man, I got a square of toilet paper.... got 10 bucks?

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 12:05:39 pm »
It’ll be okay.

Hey man, I got a square of toilet paper.... got 10 bucks?
Nah, I’m good. I took a roll from the Stove House bathroom ;)

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 02:09:23 pm »
I figure the woods near my house will green up in a few weeks, so why worry about TP?
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 02:58:45 pm »
Go onto Amazon right now and look at any familiar brand of toilet paper... it's unavailable or out of stock.  I asked my wife "why toilet paper specifically?  Why not water or beer or canned goods or meat, etc.?".  It is so freaking weird.  That said, we have at least 20 rolls of TP in the house.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 03:42:03 pm »
At our local grocery store this morning the shelves for TP, paper towels and tissues were completely bare, as was the shelf for hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes. The pasta shelves had only  bit of gluten-free pasta left, the canned beans were mostly gone, and the "cup-of-soup" instant meals were gone. On the other hand, the fresh meat section was full and there was plenty of bread and fresh fruit and vegetables. It appears that the people who are stocking up are not really into cooking. We had no problem finding the items we wanted.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's