Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Online Happy Hour?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline wrssqb

• 1st Kit
Online Happy Hour?
« on: March 27, 2020, 01:36:33 pm »
Is anyone, or has anyone considered, doing an online Happy Hour during these times? I understand that there are video chat apps for multiple participants, but I've never used them.

Just a thought to help those who are isolated to be more social from a distance. Kind of like having a chance to chat at a brewery or homebrew club meeting but without the close proximity.

Thoughts?

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
Re: Online Happy Hour?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 01:49:41 pm »
The Brewers Association staff has done a Thirst Thursday happy hour from 4:30-5 pm via Webex the past two weeks.  Given how intense the last few weeks have been, it's really refreshing to see/talk with my colleagues in a social setting.  I'm already looking forward to next Thursday.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 02:12:19 pm »
You have several options depending on your hardware.  Off the top of my head:

1) Zoom - Free accounts, up to 45 minute meetings and up to 10 users (I think)
2) Facetime - Requires Apple HW
3) What's App - Free.  Encrypted end-to-end
4 Google Hangouts - Yes it still exists.  :)  Wife is using it to teach Algebra during this.

I know there are others.

My family will be Happy Hour Zooming on Saturday for a bit.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 05:31:22 pm »
I have been getting comfortable with zoom through work and my wife and I have a couple tentative happy hours in the works with friends. If those go well my wife has some ideas to incorporate it as a way to connect with some of her fans.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 06:19:25 pm »
Just got off of a Virtual Pub gathering with others in my home-brew club. Something like 24 of us on a Zoom meeting.Took a little while to get the hang of it but was nice to "gather" with everyone and see how everyone was doing.
Ralph R.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 11:42:28 am »
We have now done two "Wine Wednesdays" (which some would call Whiskey Wednesday and I will call it Weiss Wednesday although I don't really like Weissbier...) and we use Zoom.  My wife, son and I are here, my SIL and BIL and three of their kids across town, my daughter and my son in Austin (separate), my niece and her husband in Palm Beach and my inlaws who winter in Islamorada and are still there now.  Six screens all working simultaneously using Zoom.  It's pretty cool. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 12:47:08 pm »
I set up a Zoom meeting in place of our usual in-person club meeting earlier this month. The bulk of our members participated (New Mexico Worthogs). It felt like a distant second to being together in person for the laughter and hijinx we typically share but the feedback was that folks really appreciated the chance to connect and hear about each others' brewing exploits and talk briefly in a more general manner about how we're weathering the current changes brought about by COVID (social distancing, work from home, etc). I think it was a quick de-stressor for my club members. We miss each other. We'll Zoom again in 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to moderating that "meeting" as well.

Shawn C.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:49:11 pm by ravenwater »
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 10:14:09 am »
I started a weekly happy hour for our club using zoom. You can set it up as a reoccurring meeting, and after they kick you out you can immediately restart the meeting. We're moving to a discord server for Big Brew day to avoid the time limit. The virtual meetings don't capture the feel of the normal meetings, but we've been able to share more about our setups and processes. We've kept our Zoom meetings and Facebook page open to the public, but not everyone is comfortable sharing brew days, scrounging up ingredients, etc. on there. Might keep the discord server as a strict members only option after everything blows over.