Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shortages at the grocery  (Read 6957 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
Re: Shortages at the grocery
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 05:30:47 pm »
It’ll be okay.

Kinda rough on the bum for us modern sissyified folks who barely remember the days before rolled crappin paper.
   As infuriating as many aspect of this senseless panic have [don't even look at the value of your IRA's, 401K or HSA if you're invested in equities], it is sadly amusing in a bit of a sick way the things people are snapping up. As Richard observed, the ready to eat stuff is scarce but things like dry beans, meat & vegetables that require even a tiny amount of labor @ cooking ability are still generally available. I was a bit worried when I went to the store yesterday, I was making beans and was down 1# each of red beans & black eyed peas and about a cup of pintos, don't know how that happened cuz I normally keep a couple pounds of 4 or 5 kinds on hand. To my surprise the bean isle was fully stocked, I did have to settle though for the 2nd to last bedraggled bunch of cilantro. 
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 05:42:34 pm »
My wife reported the bare shelves where paper goods used to be stocked, lots of fresh vegetables and no chicken.  Why would people buy all the chicken and not the other types of meat?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 06:17:20 pm »
At our local grocery store this morning the shelves for TP, paper towels and tissues were completely bare, as was the shelf for hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes. The pasta shelves had only  bit of gluten-free pasta left, the canned beans were mostly gone, and the "cup-of-soup" instant meals were gone.

On the other hand, at my local grocery store there was plenty of vegan items. 😁
Ralph R.

Online Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 07:25:26 pm »
I am considering growing thimbleberries in my yard so I will never be short of TP. ;)
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 03:56:57 am »
It’ll be okay.

Hey man, I got a square of toilet paper.... got 10 bucks?
Nah, I’m good. I took a roll from the Stove House bathroom ;)

I always thought you looked like a thief ...  ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2020, 03:58:08 am »
At our local grocery store this morning the shelves for TP, paper towels and tissues were completely bare, as was the shelf for hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes. The pasta shelves had only  bit of gluten-free pasta left, the canned beans were mostly gone, and the "cup-of-soup" instant meals were gone.

On the other hand, at my local grocery store there was plenty of vegan items. 😁
Hahahaha I could only find Gluten Free items yesterday. Not kidding.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2020, 10:07:03 am »
My daughter, a family nurse practicioner, suggested that our government/political folks and the news media should all be given a small regular dose of Xanax to calm them and help them avoid the "henny penny" routine.
My wife is also an NP. She just wishes the Pres would quit saying the testing is free. People are coming in wanting the “free” test. No symptoms, but coming because of it being “free.”
Watched 2 women fight over TP, seriously?  Looked like they should have fought over soap and shampoo. The local Kroger had to close a few stores because of customers fighting. I guess people are going crazy because family can’t $$ them out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 11:18:43 am »
My daughter, a family nurse practicioner, suggested that our government/political folks and the news media should all be given a small regular dose of Xanax to calm them and help them avoid the "henny penny" routine.
My wife is also an NP. She just wishes the Pres would quit saying the testing is free. People are coming in wanting the “free” test. No symptoms, but coming because of it being “free.”
Watched 2 women fight over TP, seriously?  Looked like they should have fought over soap and shampoo. The local Kroger had to close a few stores because of customers fighting. I guess people are going crazy because family can’t $$ them out of it.

Yeah, I don't get the whole TP thing. The virus is an upper respiratory thing not an intestinal problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2020, 12:04:46 pm »
I am considering growing thimbleberries in my yard so I will never be short of TP. ;)
What's the connection? There are thimbleberries growing on the property where I live.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2020, 01:08:55 pm »
Theres's a shortage alright....of brains!!

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2020, 02:31:16 pm »

Common sense has always been in short supply.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 02:32:21 pm »

Common Sense ain’t that common.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 03:19:40 pm »
What's the connection? There are thimbleberries growing on the property where I live.
Thimbleberry plants have large, thin leaves with a covering of soft hairs. They are a perfect natural toilet paper.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 05:58:00 pm »

Quite the contrary, common sense has always been, well, quite common. Common sense is the kind of sense that knows the earth is flat and the center of the universe. Common sense also knows that it is okay for some humans to own other humans, and that might makes right. What has always been in short supple among our species is UNCOMMON GOOD sense.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 06:16:33 pm »
Thimbleberry plants have large, thin leaves with a covering of soft hairs. They are a perfect natural toilet paper.
They grow right outside my window and I never really paid much attention to them other than a vague, "maybe I'll use them in a brew someday".
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women