Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shortages at the grocery  (Read 6930 times)

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Shortages at the grocery
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 08:08:29 am »
I plan on using my investment portfolio as toilet paper.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 09:14:29 am »
I am considering growing thimbleberries in my yard so I will never be short of TP. ;)
What's the connection? There are thimbleberries growing on the property where I live.
Thimbleberry plants have large, thin leaves with a covering of soft hairs. They are a perfect natural toilet paper.
They grow right outside my window and I never really paid much attention to them other than a vague, "maybe I'll use them in a brew someday".

There is a place in the UP of Michigan called the Jam Pot run by Monks. They are famous for the thimbleberry jam.

A guy I knew said he liked to pick them, but he had to be careful, as the bears would be out eating them too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2020, 11:36:21 am »
I wish I'd saved all those Bloomberg mailers.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Fire Rooster

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2020, 11:51:48 am »
I wish I'd saved all those Bloomberg mailers.

There are tales that long ago TP grew on trees.
https://bestoptionteam.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/toilet-paper-house-and-trees.jpg

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:59:10 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2020, 12:32:06 pm »
I had hoped to brew in the next week or two but water aisles are getting ravaged here so I guess I will be waiting a while. Good thing I have a lot of beer on hand already.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2020, 12:57:32 pm »
While others were purchasing TP I stocked up on barley, hops and yeast. I am brewing right now and I have enough supplies to get through another month. After that I may have to get everything online if our governor (CA) still says I can't go to the store.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2020, 03:36:02 pm »
Go onto Amazon right now and look at any familiar brand of toilet paper... it's unavailable or out of stock.  I asked my wife "why toilet paper specifically?  Why not water or beer or canned goods or meat, etc.?".  It is so freaking weird.  That said, we have at least 20 rolls of TP in the house.  :P

I read the thread backwards.  Sorry for jumping back.

As I understand it... In China TP and face masks are made out the same feeder stock.  When China announced they were going to cut production of TP in favor of face masks (cut, not stop making) the neighboring countries started hoarding TP since it was all made in China.  China didn't stop producing TP but people decided it would "never be available again", apparently.  Like any rumor, once it started it spread like wild fire.

At least that's what my wife read somewhere.

And Full Disclosure: we have ample supplies right now too since we buy TP at Sam's Club and it only comes in 36 roll packages.  We restocked about 3 weeks ago when we were down to a couple rolls in each bathroom and were going to Sam's for other stuff.  We have time before we'll need more.

I saw an anecdote from here in Des Moines that some person bought a full pallet of TP at a Price Chopper last week.  I have no idea what someone would need 1296 rolls of TP for.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2020, 03:38:45 pm »
People are mostly idiots. There aren't any coronavirus cases within hundreds of miles of Crescent City and they are buying the shelves bare. All I want to do is buy my normal amount of stuff.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2020, 07:59:39 pm »
To be fair, we've tested 0.007690097799% of the population. If you want to talk where my team at work has been in the first quarter of the year, we're talking China, Italy, Korea, etc. I don't know of a single person tested, because "they're fine." I'm sure they are, because they're all low risk. Much like a safe result is not the same as a safe action, no positive tests doesn't mean the same as no problems. Not advocating for hoarding, everything would be better if we all calmed down a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 08:14:37 am »
It’ll be okay.

Hey man, I got a square of toilet paper.... got 10 bucks?
Nah, I’m good. I took a roll from the Stove House bathroom ;)

I always thought you looked like a thief ...  ;)

Just a word of caution with this idea: toilet paper is made to dissolve in water where paper towel is not.  Paper towel can, and will, eventually slow the natural drainage system to the point of clogging the sewer line.  Just FYI.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:16:17 am by KellerBrauer »
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 12:44:33 pm »

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2020, 08:18:28 am »
Well, look what the local grocery had this AM. It’s been a couple weeks since I’ve seen this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2020, 09:17:06 am »
We actually found chicken and lettuce yesterday, which we hadn't seen in a couple weeks.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2020, 09:37:16 am »
The two violinists, dressed in tuxedos and life preservers, who played the Titanic hymn in an empty toilet paper aisle gave me the best laugh I had in a while.

Cnet Link

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2020, 10:21:22 am »
Has anyone tried drive up and pick up orders at the grocery store? I'm wondering if this is a more reliable way of getting supplies. People at the grocery store also don't seem to be interested in maintaining 6 ft separation, or sanitizing their carts or hands.