Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Will carbonation affect aging?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
Will carbonation affect aging?
« on: March 15, 2020, 11:15:06 am »
My uneducated gut instinct is the answer is no but I thought I'd seek advice from a more experienced group.....  I typically let beers ferment and condition until I'm ready to serve and then burst carbonate (in kegs).  I currently have a Belgian Quad and a cider that I'm aging.  Every few weeks I like to sample because it's what we homebrewers do.  I'm thinking of carbonating these this week to see how they taste fully carbonated but I'm wondering if this will in any way slow down or affect the aging process. 
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Will carbonation affect aging?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 11:37:45 am »
You're correct...no problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 11:41:36 am »
You're correct...no problem.
Thanks.  gives me something to do on this rainy, social distancing, day
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 03:17:22 pm »
In principle there is no problem, and carbonation will have no effect on the normal aging process for beer. In reality your CO2 will not be absolutely pure, so carbonating with it will introduce a small amount of oxygen, which can eventually lead to oxidation and staling. The significance of this depends on your CO2 purity, your level of oxygen paranoia, your temperatures and the length of time. Carbonating only when you are ready to serve will minimize the exposure time, leaving you with only the first three to worry about.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline Jimandi Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 06:28:30 pm »
We keg and force carb everything, including competition submissions, and haven't noticed any detriment. Of course, kegs don't last too long around here.

Jim

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 10:30:21 am »
I will throw this out there, subject to getting beat up over it.  I was judging light pale lagers at a competition last weekend and I was paired with a friend who is a pro brewer.  I asked him about knowing when to go to carb with light lagers and he said he tastes them as they finish fermentation and he prefers them to have just a hint of residual sweetness just before carbonating them in the bright tank - he says the carbonic acid offsets the sweetness in his lagers, so he prefers the final outcome.  This is one person's opinion, but I think he may be on to something about carbonation, generally.

I am not sure if that applies to what you are contemplating, but I guess I would say that take the carbonic acid "bite" into account in your aging on carbonation, especially with lighter lagers - but as to a Belgian Quad or a cider, it may not be a factor.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"