Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What steps would you have to take to form your own homebrew club?  (Read 10605 times)

Offline roguenationpatriot

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrewing Adventures With Nick Filipow
Re: What steps would you have to take to form your own homebrew club?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 10:27:57 pm »
Saturday sounds like it's going to be the day I start moving into my new apartment.  But I am definately going to do what can to make some of the others. 
Be sure to check out my Blog and website at
http://homebrewblog.webs.com/
http://nickfilipow.blogspot.com/

On Tap
HomeBrews
Oaked Barrel Aged Russian Imp. Stout
English Mild
Welsh's Juice Concentrate Wine
Infused Garlic Ginger Vodka
Infused Vanillia Coffee Bean Vodka

Commercial Favorites
Weasel Boy Russian Imperial Stout
21st Amendment Back In Black
Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Troeg's Dreamweaver

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 02:53:16 pm »
I just put an ad in the local newspaper, got a total of two calls and I knew both of the guys.  We set a time and had our first meeting, and then each of us recruited one or two people.  We also let friends come who just like beer but don't brew, they will bring a sixer of craft beer.  Now we have about eight people brewing, and we still let nonbrewers come because that way we might have 10-12 people which is a nice number for a meeting.  Our meetings are informal tastings, we all bring food and just talk about brewing and other fun stuff.

I would recommend that you set a certain day of each month (third Thursday or Saturday) so people know when it is without having to be called each time.  Seems theres never a time when everyone is available and its maddening to try and find a date that suits the whole gang.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline mmonroe1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 06:57:49 pm »
I am in Dahlonega, Georgia, and the local growler shop has tentatively agreed to let a homebrewer group meet there once or twice a month.  The AHA link on forming a local chapter doesn't work, and the local AHA chapter that was here doesn't appear to still be in business.  Can somebody give me a few concrete steps to take?

Offline BrettBinns

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 09:40:55 am »
Here's a guide from the AHA on starting a homebrew club.

http://ahaclubs.homebrewersassociation.org/StartingAndRunningANewHomebrewClub

Good Luck!

This is an old post and the URL, alas, has gone stale. Does anyone know if the page has found a new URL or if something else comparable exists today?

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 11:02:01 am »
As a member of Sodz (although not very active) I can say that the club while supposedly off during the summer is quite active. We had a virtual meeting in April and quite possibly the May meeting will be too. There is a joint meeting with HOPS (Powell, OH) and DOH (Delaware, OH) in June. There will be Iron Kettle and the summer picnic.

Because of the virtual meeting in April, they gave copious notes on the website. From reading the minutes, you'll see all that is going on.

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 11:07:04 am »
By the way, reading over the messages, I see that you live in Grandview Heights. You're surrounded by members of Sodz, especially one that works at Gentiles where I go to buy my beer supplies. Welcome to the area.

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 12:58:10 pm »
To chime in on this, yes you are in a brew club rich area!

I belong to three Ohio brew clubs which are listed in my signature line below.  Two have dues, one (the Wayne County Brew Club in Wooster, about 1.5 hours north of you) does not.  All three are very active and the lack of dues thing is not a deal breaker for Wayne County.  We just get together, share our beers, talk about them, and discuss any problems we have had making them.  We have switched to an online meeting on Zoom during the pandemic and it works out very well.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified