Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Opaque Lager  (Read 884 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Opaque Lager
« on: March 28, 2020, 03:09:03 pm »
Brewed a Munich Helles 2 months ago and it turned out fine.  I used saflager 34/70 strain, rinsed the yeast cake and used it on a german Pils I brewed 1/27.  Subsequently lagered that batch and racked to a keg, once again washing the yeast and using it in a baltic porter 2 days ago.  The german pils has been carbonating the last week under forced carbonation in the kegerator.  I thought i would give it a taste today and it poured an incredibly opaque milky brown beer.  This persisted after 2-3 pints. 
I'm guessing this is infected.  Tastes slightly tart.  It tasted ok going into the keg and if I remember was reasonably clear.

1) Is this infected and I guess time to dump?  Is there anything other than infection this could be?  It is far more opaque than just simple chill haze.
2) What to do with the now fermenting baltic porter?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Opaque Lager
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 03:14:52 pm »
The haze is not overly unusual but brown?  That's pretty weird.  Only you can decide if it needs to be disposed of.  Go into a drinking session with an open mind and see if you can drink 2-3 pints and enjoy them.  You'll know relatively quickly.  As far as the porter, what if the pilsner got the bug from the keg it's in?  If so, your porter could be okay so don't do anything hasty until you know for sure.  Keep us posted and I will pour some out for the pilsner.  As my one friends says... pour it down the toilet, it would have ended up there anyway.   :D 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 06:30:24 am »
... pour it down the toilet, it would have ended up there anyway.   :D

Serve it to your in-laws. Never let a bad beer go to waste!

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 04:42:52 pm »
 The same thing happened to me about a year ago and it turned out, I think that I had distaticus problem because it basically got all milky in the keg at a really cool temperature it was fine when I transferred it.  It was crystal clear in the site glass and 3 to 4 days later I poured a sample and it was milky and tart I ended up throwing away.  I replaced all the software and heat sterilized my kegs in my oven to kill it all and luckily,  knock on wood it hasn’t returned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.