Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Minimum Aging Time - Ales  (Read 2031 times)

TXFlyGuy

Minimum Aging Time - Ales
« on: March 17, 2020, 05:00:46 pm »
So.....what is the minimum time for proper aging of an ale? Something like an Imperial Stout?

My brewing partner's wife is putting the pressure on to have it on tap...and soon!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Minimum Aging Time - Ales
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 05:38:05 pm »
For an Imperial Stout it would probably take around 2-3 weeks for fermentation to complete. It could be done sooner or take a little longer depending on what the yeast are doing. After that you could bottle or keg, but this could be a bit boozy and harsh at this point. So, an Imperial Stout will probably taste better with some age on it so the flavors can meld together at around 3 months or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 06:10:33 pm »
For an Imperial Stout it would probably take around 2-3 weeks for fermentation to complete. It could be done sooner or take a little longer depending on what the yeast are doing. After that you could bottle or keg, but this could be a bit boozy and harsh at this point. So, an Imperial Stout will probably taste better with some age on it so the flavors can meld together at around 3 months or more.

That's longer than what I would have thought.

Offline Jimandi Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 06:13:11 pm »
We are preparing to brew an Imperial Stout now (third time on this recipe). Ferment for 3 weeks at 65F (Fermentis S-33 yeast), then keg and lager at 34F for about 8-9 months. Scored 37 in first round of 2019 AHA Homebrew Competition.

Jim 

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 06:13:48 pm »
If you’re looking for the minimum time, it could be done in a couple of weeks. If you are looking for best flavor, it will take longer.

Dan Chisholm

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 06:19:27 pm »
We are preparing to brew an Imperial Stout now (third time on this recipe). Ferment for 3 weeks at 65F (Fermentis S-33 yeast), then keg and lager at 34F for about 8-9 months. Scored 37 in first round of 2019 AHA Homebrew Competition.

Jim

Did you make it to round 2?

Offline Jimandi Brewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 06:24:26 pm »
Nope. But still proud of the 37. We entered this year's batch but the competition is on hiatus for now.

Jim

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 06:00:16 am »
Nope. But still proud of the 37. We entered this year's batch but the competition is on hiatus for now.

Jim

As you should be. Off topic, but I entered a Czech Pils in the Bluebonnet (largest brewers competition in the USA), and scored 34-37 by the judges. This was a fine beer, every bit as good as Pils Urquell. Never made it out of round 1.

I am highly suspect of judges, their subjectivity, and the whole judging event.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 06:33:15 am »

Jim

As you should be. Off topic, but I entered a Czech Pils in the Bluebonnet (largest brewers competition in the USA), and scored 34-37 by the judges. This was a fine beer, every bit as good as Pils Urquell. Never made it out of round 1.

I am not so suspect of a beer judge's subjectivity, but each one has different biases as well as senses (smell and taste).
What were their comments on your Czech Pils?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 06:46:01 am »

Jim

I am not so suspect of a beer judge's subjectivity, but each one has different biases as well as senses (smell and taste).
What were their comments on your Czech Pils?

I discarded the score sheets some time ago, but overall the comments were quite positive, such as "True to style".
After reading on brulosophy about scores at competitions, using the same beer and getting diverging scores and comments from the 3 judges, it makes me wonder.

Yes, bias will enter in. As will sensory fatigue.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 11:02:00 am »
I think it would be interesting to brew a batch, keg it, bottle from the keg, and enter a few bottles in the same competition unbeknownst to the judges to see if the bottles are judged differently. Has this been done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 02:38:12 pm »
I entered an 9.5% abv imperial porter in two separate comps; one at about 3 months old and the other at about 9 months old. The 3 month old bottle scored well but I can't remember specifically. The 9 month old bottle scored a 40 and went to BOS round.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 03:44:35 pm »

Jim

Nice! Similar here too but I put mine into a 25 gallon Wigle Bourbon barrel for 11 months in the cellar. I can't wait to do it again.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 04:53:04 pm »
I feel like they're ready when they're ready.  I haven't been able to nail down a consistent time frame.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 06:02:01 pm »
I feel like they're ready when they're ready.  I haven't been able to nail down a consistent time frame.
Like good BBQ — it’s ready when it’s ready. My beers are ready when I need them.

I use the same four stage pipeline for all beers whether Ale or Lager: (1) ferment, (2) cold crash/cold condition/lager, (3) on deck/finish conditioning/finish lager, (4) tap/drink/enjoy.  That way, in reference to timeline, I don’t concern myself with wether I am fermenting with one yeast or another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk