Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dark Czech Lager  (Read 5866 times)

TXFlyGuy

Re: Dark Czech Lager
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 10:18:01 am »
Honestly I would brew something like the brewbama recipe. It seems like you have something else mind so I would just move forward.

Like this?

13 lbs Pils
4 lbs Munich
3 lbs CaraMunich
1 lb Carafa II

The above is from the link provided by BrewBama.

The intent is to brew something our wife's will like. They drink Guinness. And they like it. We don't want to make a stout, but a dark lager. Rich, full bodied, with good malt forward character, balanced by hops. It is not really intended to be a BJCP profile beer.

Again, suggestions and/or comments are appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:32:37 am by Myron Oleson »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 10:28:56 am »
24% crystal malt is too much for any beer but that’s just my opinion which I realize doesn’t hold much weight. I would expect mostly pils as the base. Maybe push the ibus up around 35 to cut through the malt?

I’m sure it will make amazing beer. Disregard. Brew on
I like to hang out at ~5% Crystal/Caramel/Cara myself.

I could never get over Pete’s Wicked Ale that came in at ~17% C60 but they do cut it with ~4% choc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 11:16:00 am »

The intent is to brew something our wife's will like. They drink Guinness. And they like it. We don't want to make a stout, but a dark lager. Rich, full bodied, with good malt forward character, balanced by hops. It is not really intended to be a BJCP profile beer.

"Rich, full bodied, with good malt forward character, balanced by hops" is not exactly how I would go about designing a beer that Guinness lovers might like.   ;)

I kid.
Sort of. 

And I agree with the above posters, that's a lot of crystal but if you are going for full-bodied...
Still, I think you could get away with half that and still meet your goals.
Good luck!

Offline brian_welch

• Cellarman
  • Holden MA
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 12:04:29 pm »
Take a look at this thread on Beer Advocate.  Hard to go wrong with input from Evan Rail:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/bohemian-dunkel-recipe-doesnt-add-up.232847/page-2
Brian Welch
WIZARDS (Worcester Incorporated Zymurgists Advancing Real Draughts)

ON TAP:
Hefeweizen
West Coast Pils
German Pils
Altbier

ON DECK:
English Bitter
Dark Mild

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 12:07:18 pm »

"Rich, full bodied, with good malt forward character, balanced by hops" is not exactly how I would go about designing a beer that Guinness lovers might like.   ;)

I kid.
Sort of. 

And I agree with the above posters, that's a lot of crystal but if you are going for full-bodied...
Still, I think you could get away with half that and still meet your goals.
Good luck!

The CaraBohemian has been eliminated...don’t like the flavor of the grains!
CaraMunich is now 1 lb.
We will still use the Carared - 1/2 lb.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:11:53 pm by Myron Oleson »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 12:19:24 pm »
24% crystal malt is too much for any beer but that’s just my opinion which I realize doesn’t hold much weight. I would expect mostly pils as the base. Maybe push the ibus up around 35 to cut through the malt?

For these beers 15% is not too much. That flies in the face of today's Homebrew conventional wisdom. 24%? I think I wouldn't brew with that much, but what do I know? I thought 15% would not be good, but it was.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:40:46 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 12:25:37 pm »

For these beers 15% is not too much. That fly's in the face of today's Homebrew conventional wisdom. 24%? I think I wouldn't brew with that much, but what do I know? I thought 15% would not be good, but it was.

That’s why I told him to brew on. 24% is a lot more than 15% in my opinion. If you think 24% could be great I’m sure it could be too.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 12:34:25 pm »

For these beers 15% is not too much. That fly's in the face of today's Homebrew conventional wisdom. 24%? I think I wouldn't brew with that much, but what do I know? I thought 15% would not be good, but it was.

That’s why I told him to brew on. 24% is a lot more than 15% in my opinion. If you think 24% could be great I’m sure it could be too.

Note that based on everyone’s input, the grain bill has been modified. See above post.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2020, 01:02:38 pm »

Note that based on everyone’s input, the grain bill has been modified. See above post.

I realize that. I was just responding to Jeff. I also realize I’m not being helpful at this point and derailing. Carry on.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2020, 01:19:18 pm »
Just so all of you know, your input was not only sought, but much appreciated.
Stand by for a full progress report on this beer.
We have some perfect yeast slurry from a previous brew, and this should work nicely.

Offline BrewBama

Dark Czech Lager
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 01:25:19 pm »

Note: that’s for 11.25 gal. Scale accordingly.

FWIW: Ivan Chramosil, who served as the brewmaster at U Fleků for over 44 years, recommends 50 percent Pilsner malt, between 30 and 40 percent Munich malt, up to 15 percent of a caramel malt like CaraMunich, and at most 5 percent of a very dark malt like Weyermann’s Carafa II Special.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:18:43 pm by BrewBama »

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2020, 03:13:05 pm »

FWIW: Ivan Chramosil, who served as the brewmaster at U Fleků for over 44 years, recommends 50 percent Pilsner malt, between 30 and 40 percent Munich malt, up to 15 percent of a caramel malt like CaraMunich, and at most 5 percent of a very dark malt like Weyermann’s Carafa II Special.

Our final volume will be 8.5 gallons.
U Fleku? Drank a lot of beer there! And the food was good too.
Our recipe will be in the general ballpark.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. You have saved me from making a beer that would be non-drinkable.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2020, 07:11:35 pm »

The 10P that I brewed was 50% Weyermann Bohemian Pils, 30% Wyermann Dark Munich, 15% CaraBohemian, 5% Carafa Special. It really was a great beer.

I've been thinking I need a stronger version, like U Fleku.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2020, 08:43:01 pm »
Remember that a Dunkel needs to be highly drinkable.  More Pils malt in there and less crystal is my suggestion.  But you should make the beer you want!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 06:04:28 am »
Remember that a Dunkel needs to be highly drinkable.  More Pils malt in there and less crystal is my suggestion.  But you should make the beer you want!

We cut the crystal to less than 10%. Munich and Vienna make up most of the bill. 50-50.

Per their website, Munich and/or Vienna can make up to 100% of the grain bill.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:06:00 am by Myron Oleson »