Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many of you are at home because of the virus and what are you going to brew?  (Read 5152 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
I'm retired and I'm staying home voluntarily.  I'm going to brew an oatmeal stout at about 5% abv.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
I'm being told to shelter in place. I brewed an Amber Ale on Monday and I have the supplies to brew a double IPA next. I am planning a California Common after that, but I don't have ingredients yet. My local homebrew shop, along with all other non-essential businesses, is closed until April 7. I suspect that the shelter-in-place order will be extended past that, so I will probably purchase online. I don't like getting yeast online but I get fast delivery (one day in transit) so it should be OK with an ice pack. Thank goodness my tap water is good so I don't have to worry about purchasing that.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
I always take off the first two days of March Madness.  I'll be brewing an amber with spruce tips.  I have fixings for two more batches after that.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
My whole company has been remoted (where we can remote) - I'd love to have time to brew, but so far, that's not happening! Everyone's jumping.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
I'm still at work for now, but some groups were told to work from home, and I can see the same thing coming for my group in another week or two.  I have three batches fermenting right now so I won't be brewing any more.  When stuck at home I suppose I will have more time to bottle and enjoy.  About 8 cases already to use up at some point with even more on the way.   ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
I've been retired for years, but I'm staying put at home.  Was gonna brew today, but all my drills refused to work so I couldn't mill my grain.  Brew day postponed until tomorrow.  Making an APA with rye middlings and NZ hops.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Was gonna brew today, but all my drills refused to work so I couldn't mill my grain. 

So, you're saying you had a mill strike today? :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
I took early retirement to become caregiver for SWMBO. I’ve been keeping my three Gkids for my son this week so he can get some work done at home (the DIL goes in to work). They won’t be coming Fri and it’s supposed to storm so no better time than to brew a batch of APA. I was able to score some distilled water this AM which was the last piece of the puzzle so I am ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:40:09 pm by BrewBama »

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
We are at a daily 50% reduction of employees on a rotating basis. All non essential personal are not report to work. So, to the point, I will be brewing a Belgian Blonde!!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
I’m going to be home for at least 3 weeks. I managed a Mild on Monday...wow, that seems like a great name for this beer. Plenty of time to mess with a decoction for a Helles or Pils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
   I have enough grain and hops and yeast on hand to probably brew 20 or more batches, as long as they don't all require some weird specific item or have O.G.s up in the stratosphere. My planned next batch is an E.S.B. but of course I don't have the yeast I want, hopefully it'll arrive before Saturday. I'm still an unemployed bum but that doesn't mean I get to play on weekdays. I the yeast doesn't get here I want to do 2 almost identical batches, one with C60 and the other with caramunich III to see what the different results taste like. I'm kind of trying to reduce the number of different grains I keep in stock by figuring out which ones are essentially redundant. I recently did a test with white wheat malt and torrified wheat, those two should be ready to taste test in another week.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
I am still going to work at the office. But, last weekend, I brewed Oktoberfest from Andreas Krennmair's book "Historic German and Austrian Beers for the Home Brewer". Now, I didn't do the involved mashing schedule. But, I did fall below the mash temp. So I took about a gallon out and boiled it and put it back in. That worked. I will lager it until next Autumn.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
We are both retired. Decided to isolate to the end of the month. Our big road trip is being reevaluated.

I might knock out an ale or two just in case we stay home.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
I work at home so this is not completely abnormal for me although there are other weird situations like no bowling league, no dining out, etc.  I went on a brewing blast in December and January so I currently have SIX full kegs and three that are partially full.  I have one empty keg.  I have been itching to get some WL940 (Mexican Lager) up and running and I was just about to make a starter with it but I may hold off a bit.  Soon I will fire it up and make some light, amber and dark lagers on the lighter side for warmer-weather drinking. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline mdyer909

• Cellarman
I always take off the first two days of March Madness.  I'll be brewing an amber with spruce tips.  I have fixings for two more batches after that.
I did a spruce tip ale last spring.  When it was young it was way too “sprucey”.  I almost dumped it.  After like 12 weeks it really mellowed out and was a big hit.  Bright golden hoppy deliciousness.

I’ve got gallons of random lager lagering, and 5 more fermenting.  Won’t brew for a while.  Take care all!