Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many of you are at home because of the virus and what are you going to brew?  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
I'm back to work for 3 days starting Sunday as I'm considered 'essential'.  Found time to brew a Vienna Lager today.  Hoping to brew a pandemic porter soon as after Tuesday I'm off for 20 days.  Just read that my LHBS here in NorCal is still open as their interpretation is that they are a food ingredient supplier and thus exempt from the statewide mandate of closing down non essential businesses.  They're only allowing 1 patron in the shop at a time and are encouraging people to order online and they will do curbside pick up.  I'm hoping to head over tomorrow to get what I need so I'll be able to brew the porter next week if they end up shutting down for a while.
Who's your LHBS?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
Not a Single "Corona Clone"?
Maybe it's still too soon for humor.
¡¡¡Coronapocalypse FTW!!!

Imperial Mexican Lager doesn't sound good to me...give me style suggestions, rationale appreciated

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
I'm a clinician in a locked juvenile facility in CO, considered essential. But my ticker and lovely wife said stay home. We'll see whether that move and a letter from my doctor equals continued paychecks or the dole. Never collected unemployment in my life - strange times my friends, but times to brew! I have a bunch of raw and malted wheat from a sour project. Maybe ¡¡¡CoronapocalypseFTW!!! will be a wheat wine

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
I'm back to work for 3 days starting Sunday as I'm considered 'essential'.  Found time to brew a Vienna Lager today.  Hoping to brew a pandemic porter soon as after Tuesday I'm off for 20 days.  Just read that my LHBS here in NorCal is still open as their interpretation is that they are a food ingredient supplier and thus exempt from the statewide mandate of closing down non essential businesses.  They're only allowing 1 patron in the shop at a time and are encouraging people to order online and they will do curbside pick up.  I'm hoping to head over tomorrow to get what I need so I'll be able to brew the porter next week if they end up shutting down for a while.
Who's your LHBS?
Don’t want to get them in trouble....they’re here in the Sacramento area.   They were open this morning and I got what I needed for next week’s brew just in case they decide to shut down for a bit.
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Local brewery was told it was a "beverage manufacturer" and thus an essential business. They're doing curbside pickup  while they have bottles/crowlers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Keith Wedinger

• 1st Kit
I've been working from home since 3/26. My company mandated WFH on 3/27. During a previous job, I worked from home as a consultant so this is nothing new for me. In Columbus, OH and the surrounding area, many breweries and the three primary growler shops are staying open for can/crowler/growler pickup. Two are doing home delivery: Nocterra in Powell and Dankhouse in Newark. My favorite bottle shop Perfect Pour Beverage Company is classified as an essential business so they are staying open. 👍🏻

Brewing-wise:
I did a Simcoe/Citra IPA that is currently fermenting/dry hopping. Bottling will be on Saturday.
I am going to do a chocolate stout next.

Unfortunately, my local home-brew supply store closed today so I am going to use Great Fermentations to get my ingredients.
Keith Wedinger
@jkwuc89 on Twitter and Untappd
Member of Homebrewers of Powell in OH

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
visited my LHBS over the weekend... says business is up... looks like some folks are panic brewing.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
I took early retirement to become caregiver for SWMBO. I’ve been keeping my three Gkids for my son this week so he can get some work done at home (the DIL goes in to work). They won’t be coming Fri and it’s supposed to storm so no better time than to brew a batch of APA. I was able to score some distilled water this AM which was the last piece of the puzzle so I am ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I picked up 15-5g jugs of RO. Saw it coming and got it 2 weeks ago. My came home from work and said, you better get what we need, this is going to be bad. That to me was brewing water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
We start a stay at home order today here in the Kansas City area. All counties in the metro KC area. My wife has been stocking up on essentials the past 2 weeks  but we are not hoarding. We have been checking in on neighbors and family and all sharing items. Several breweries have lined up on the same street to sell for drive-up sales. They take a order on a tablet and bring the cans to the cars. Also a couple of distilleries are making sanitizer and are doing the same with drive-up sales. Stay safe and stay home if you can.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
I started working from home this week.  I expect it will continue for another few weeks.  I'm planning to brew a barleywine for starters.  I'm planning a kettle sour and cream ale late April or May for a summer beers.  I have a plenty of grain and hops to make several more batches so will probably do a IPA/NEIPA at somepoint.  I got a order coming in this week so I'll be set on yeast. 
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Offline Bklmt2000

• Cellarman
Been working remote full-time for many years, so this isn't a major issue for me.  Having to limit our visits to our local grocery store is a little wierd, but then again, we don't dine out or get delivery very often, so having to cook at home 100% for the time being is NBD.

Got enough ingredients (grains, hops, yeast, DME for starters, etc) to keep me in beer for the next 12-18 months.  Will need a propane refill in a few weeks, though.

Brewing tomorrow, an American IPA in the spirit of Bell's 2-Hearted Ale.  Looking forward to tucking into an unopened pack of 2019 Centennial pellets from Yakima Valley Hops.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
I've been brewing on Sunday since even the Catholic Church has locked the doors since this has started.  Last Sunday I made a Fat Tire clone and my house Dunkel. 
Next Sunday I'll be making an Oktoberfest and a Farm House Ale.

I currently have 3 or 4 more on the list.  I'll run out of storage equipment before I run out of ingredients.  8^)

Brew on!  Stay home!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline DeanRIowa

• 1st Kit
I was out of the country(Mexico) through this past Sunday.  We landed in Chicago and I have never seen the roads so empty.  Like most my work is now remote and allowing sometime to brew.  I plan on doing two Berliner Weisse, one with Hibiscus and one with raspberry.  I would like to attempt a BarleyWine as well.

Dean

Offline raf

• 1st Kit
    • Michiana Extract and Grain Association (MEGA)
I did my Spotted Cow-inspired hazy cream ale last weekend. This coming weekend, planning to do a Belgian-style pale ale. Czech Dark Lager and amber Zwickelbier on deck after that. Not much else we can do on the weekends nowadays, so might as well brew.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
... I have never seen the roads so empty. 
Not just the roads. The skies are also empty. I was walking out by the San Francisco Bay for an hour this morning and we didn't hear a single airplane the whole time even though we usually hear planes headed to and from SFO and the local small plane airport. Today the only sounds from the air were geese and red-wing blackbirds.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's