Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Brands  (Read 5992 times)

TXFlyGuy

Grain Brands
« on: March 19, 2020, 05:41:52 pm »
As of late, we have only used Weyermann. But Ireks is at a local store, with a good variety.

Do you have a favorite brand of malted barley?

If so, what makes the difference?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Grain Brands
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 07:12:57 pm »
Weyermann for German. I haven't seen Ireks in years. Out of Regensburg IIRC.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 07:39:30 pm »
I like Best, Weyermann, and Mecca Grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 08:56:14 pm »
Depends on style of beer - I like the Sedoka for Czech beers, Weyermann and Best for GermanPils and Helles, and British  maltsters for British Ales.  Dingemans for Belgians.  There are great American maltsters coming on to the scene, too.  Mecca, Proximity, and locals are looking good, too.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 07:03:46 am »
.... Proximity, ...

How did the lawsuit turn out?  Supposedly, yrs ago a few former MaltEurope big wigs stole some documents and went to start Proximity. I could never find the outcome. Until I do I steer clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Craig Hairrell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 07:28:34 am »
Ireks used to be commonly available in local shops, but I think their distribution channel may have changed. They're still around. I read an article recently about Chicago's outstanding Dovetail Brewing, which specializes in classic German styles. They use Ireks.

It would be interesting to see the Brülosophy guys do some base malt exBeeriments. The common advice I hear is to use malts made in the country whose beers you're trying to brew. Just how different are they, really? Do Dingemans, Weyermann, Sekado, Briess, and Proximity Pilsner malts really produce beers which can be distinguished from one another? My impression is that the differences are subtle. On the other hand, I believe there are more noticeable brand to brand differences in roasted and crystal malts.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 07:41:59 am »
Ireks used to be commonly available in local shops, but I think their distribution channel may have changed. They're still around. I read an article recently about Chicago's outstanding Dovetail Brewing, which specializes in classic German styles. They use Ireks.

It would be interesting to see the Brülosophy guys do some base malt exBeeriments. The common advice I hear is to use malts made in the country whose beers you're trying to brew. Just how different are they, really? Do Dingemans, Weyermann, Sekado, Briess, and Proximity Pilsner malts really produce beers which can be distinguished from one another? My impression is that the differences are subtle. On the other hand, I believe there are more noticeable brand to brand differences in roasted and crystal malts.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I know Ireks was around when I started the hobby in 92, but I hadn't seen the in years.

There are differences in the Maltsters. That can be from the local growing conditions, varieties, how it is malted and kilned.

I can say that I see differences in Weyermann's Pils, Barke Pils, Bohemian Pils, and Floor Ymalted Bohemian. I now the Bohemian are not malted in Germany.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 07:54:27 am »
I'm using Mecca Grade for about 90% of everything I brew these days.  Before that I was a big fan of Best and Rahr.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 08:19:02 am »
I remember Ireks malt extract from the 90s.  I haven't see the malt yet but I haven't brewed recently.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 08:23:33 am »
I like to buy local and have been using PA's Deer Creek Malt as my main grain source.  Excellent product (their Munich is outstanding) and excellent people to deal with.  I have to supplement at the LHBS for some crystals and roasts, but those only play a small part anyway.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 08:35:15 am »
I remember Ireks malt extract from the 90s.  I haven't see the malt yet but I haven't brewed recently.

Yep!  My memory of them is the diastatic LME in cans that sometimes exploded!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 10:06:13 am »
   I use more Briess than anything else. From my experience their malts are as good as any others I've used and better than some, they have a broad selection, generally lower prices than any other brands besides Viking, and much of it is grown here in state. I realize I'm going to sound like a heretic by saying this, but from my experience the poorest quality malts I've sees are the British brands, Crisp, Bairds, & Fawcett. Lots of extraneous stuff like straw, rocks & other debris, and other types of grain intermingled with what I wanted. The last bunch of crystal rye I bought has big chunks of matted, malt clods, really poor Quality Control.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Online BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 10:18:21 am »
   I use more Briess than anything else....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 12:53:03 pm »
It also depends what's stocked where I shop.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 12:54:45 pm »
As of late, we have only used Weyermann. But Ireks is at a local store, with a good variety.
What store?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women