Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Brands  (Read 5957 times)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Grain Brands
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 01:27:38 pm »
.... Proximity, ...

How did the lawsuit turn out?  Supposedly, yrs ago a few former MaltEurope big wigs stole some documents and went to start Proximity. I could never find the outcome. Until I do I steer clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADM (Malteurop) dropped the injunctive relief claim fairly quickly, or so I read.  Whether they settled or Proximity won, I don't know, but since Proximity is still in business, I am fairly confident that it was resolved.  You have to watch out for claims in lawsuits...my guess is that one or more of the principals of Proximity was under some kind of non-compete covenant as part of their contract with Malteurop and it failed to be enforceable against Proximity as a company.  Besides, what kind of secret sauce does a maltster have?  Sounds to me to be the heavy hand of an international company trying to squash the upstart.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 02:20:43 pm »
.... Proximity, ...

How did the lawsuit turn out?  Supposedly, yrs ago a few former MaltEurope big wigs stole some documents and went to start Proximity. I could never find the outcome. Until I do I steer clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADM (Malteurop) dropped the injunctive relief claim fairly quickly, or so I read.  Whether they settled or Proximity won, I don't know, but since Proximity is still in business, I am fairly confident that it was resolved.  You have to watch out for claims in lawsuits...my guess is that one or more of the principals of Proximity was under some kind of non-compete covenant as part of their contract with Malteurop and it failed to be enforceable against Proximity as a company.  Besides, what kind of secret sauce does a maltster have?  Sounds to me to be the heavy hand of an international company trying to squash the upstart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 09:38:46 am »
I like Durst for my Helles.  I have used Muntons and Crisp for my British ales.  I like the flavor of Crisp but get a bit lower efficiency from it.  Dingemans for my Saison.
For things like my IPA's I have started using West Branch based on a recommendation from Rob Stein.  They are a local malster and I like the flavor I get from their pale malt.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 10:07:25 am »
Weyermann for German. I haven't seen Ireks in years. Out of Regensburg IIRC.

I saw Ireks on Texas Brewing.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline BaseWerks Brewing

• Cellarman
  • Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 01:27:12 pm »
I, like many others, have generally used a specific maltster based on what style I'm brewing, usually Weyerman and Briess.  I just got some Maltwerks Pale Malt.  They are based out of Minnesota.  Has anyone used that malt before?  I'm excited to try it. 
Andy K
Follow me on Instagram -- @BaseWerksBrewing

Big Monk

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 08:38:52 pm »
Weyermann for everything. Everything being a handful of Trappist inspired ales and a pale ale.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 10:21:37 pm »
Weyermann, Best, and Rahr.
Jeff B

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 07:32:48 am »
For us so far...

Weyermann
Weyermann
Weyermann

That's about it.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 05:40:05 pm »
It depends on what's available for me. I buy base malt by the sack from my LHBS. Lately that means anything MoreBeer has, they will order for me and sell at MoreBeer's price (less 10% AHA discount). That means I buy Weyermann, Great Western and Crisp (though lately I have been experimenting with Viking because it is so cheap). In the past, I have been happy with Best, Fawcett and Great Western. I didn't love Mecca Grade when I brewed with it, but that could have been because I was expecting one thing (full-flavored English style malt) and got another (sorta tart like a Belgian pale malt). I tried another craft malt called "Gold Rush" and liked it a lot, though it also was not as described. If I had only one base malt I could brew everything with, I would choose Fawcett's Golden Promise.

Offline joeinma

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 11:48:17 am »
Reviving an old post...I have been strictly Barke malts for my German lagers, Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian for my Czech beers.  But am going to brew next month with Ireks for a change to see what the difference is.  Texas Brewing Company sells Ireks by as little as an ounce and shipping is reasonable.   Also, just recently found out that Stone Path Maltsters here in Mass sell Ireks, though on their website, they list it as Stone Path Pilsner until you get to the page and it says Ireks and my LHBS carries Stone Path.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2021, 12:36:20 pm »
For a little while now I've been using https://www.epiphanymalt.com/ ,located in North Carolina.
Haven't used any of their malts that disappointed.  Prefer grain grown/malted as close to me as possible.
A couple of individual crushed batches are ordered at a time from https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com/ which is down the street
from Epiphany.  I usually get the order in 2 days from UPS.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 01:38:09 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2021, 01:07:46 pm »
for the past couple years I've kept base malts on hand at all times, Weyermann Barke Pils, and Simpsons Golden Promise. I get them both for 40$ a sack, so the cost isnt too bad, and I like the performance and flavor I from them. Prior to that, for about 10 years my two base malts were great western pale malt and Briess pils.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2021, 04:12:39 pm »
For a little while now I've been using https://www.epiphanymalt.com/ ,located in North Carolina.
Haven't used any of their malts that disappointed.  Prefer grain grown/malted as close to me as possible.
A couple of individual crushed batches are ordered at a time from https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com/ which is down the street
from Epiphany.  I usually get the order in 2 days from UPS.
I just bought a sack of Peterson's quality malt pale ale malt here in Vermont.  I'm excited to try it.  It was actually competitive in price to what I can get from larger companies at my local shops.  If it's good I'll buy their other malts too.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 05:52:59 pm »
   I use more Briess than anything else.

I would quit brewing if the malts that were available to me were from Briess.  Briess is the Melba toast of malted barley. :)

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2021, 10:39:55 pm »
... lately I have been experimenting with Viking because it is so cheap)...
Viking malts are indeed very cheap, but you need to be careful because their diastatic power is very low. Their Pilsner malt has a WK of 250, which equates to about 75 Lintner. That is enough to self-convert, but if you use it in a recipe with a bunch of kilned malts with low enzyme content you might have conversion problems.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's