Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Brands  (Read 5990 times)

Fire Rooster

Re: Grain Brands
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 12:37:19 am »
For a little while now I've been using https://www.epiphanymalt.com/ ,located in North Carolina.
Haven't used any of their malts that disappointed.  Prefer grain grown/malted as close to me as possible.
A couple of individual crushed batches are ordered at a time from https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com/ which is down the street
from Epiphany.  I usually get the order in 2 days from UPS.
I just bought a sack of Peterson's quality malt pale ale malt here in Vermont.  I'm excited to try it.  It was actually competitive in price to what I can get from larger companies at my local shops.  If it's good I'll buy their other malts too.
:)  Brewing is just like baking and cooking.  Using the freshest possible ingredients makes a world of difference.
Many here encourage supporting a LHBS, wouldn't that also apply to farmers and maltsters ?
For the scale of most homebrewers, grain cost differences are minimal, if any.

I'm picky on the ingredients chosen, currently on a quest to find the best dried bitter and sweet orange peel.
Ordering small amounts of each, smelling and tasting them, then tossing the losers.
For sweet orange the winner is https://www.amazon.com/FRONTIER-Organic-Bulk-Orange-Peel/dp/B000UYFKP6/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=dried+sweet+orange+peel+frontier+co-op&qid=1611304858&sr=8-10
Some reviewers were not satisfied, what I received is awesome.
Pound is a lot, vacuum sealed in separate portions. No winner yet for dried bitter orange peel.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:17:53 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 07:08:14 pm »
Generally my base grain comes from Root Shoot here in Colorado which makes really nice products. They don't have much specialty options so I tend to source those from British maltsters as I think they have better flavor than domestic specialty grain for the most part.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 10:40:34 pm »
I'm picky on the ingredients chosen, currently on a quest to find the best dried bitter and sweet orange peel.
Ordering small amounts of each, smelling and tasting them, then tossing the losers.
For sweet orange the winner is https://www.amazon.com/FRONTIER-Organic-Bulk-Orange-Peel/dp/B000UYFKP6/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=dried+sweet+orange+peel+frontier+co-op&qid=1611304858&sr=8-10
Pound is a lot, vacuum sealed in separate portions. No winner yet for dried bitter orange peel.

Your post is exceedingly timely. I was just putting together a recipe with sweet orange. Thanks.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2021, 01:34:22 am »

Your post is exceedingly timely. I was just putting together a recipe with sweet orange. Thanks.

Sounds great.  As the old adage goes, garbage in garbage out.
Now to figure out the best method, amount, and time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 03:18:45 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2021, 10:10:32 am »
Circling back to my original post, I am now using Ireks malt exclusively. Buying in 55 lb bags. We have had great results with this malt, and it is cost competitive with the other Big Malt Companies.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2021, 08:02:06 am »
I do not buy in bulk and I do not care to order recipes online so I am at the mercy of my LHBS. I have been a bit more selective at choosing my grains there, asking what he has in stock. I have started going with Cara-malts over Crystal malts. I find Briess specialty grains ok, but looking for more flavorful base grains. I have been using Crisp Golden Promise a lot over the Briess 2 Row and Pale Ale Malt he carries. Sometimes I'll go for the Avengard Malts and he carries Muntons Marris Otter which is not the most flavorful either.

My old LHBS carried Canada Malting malts...those were very tasty. Very nice 2 row and Pale Ale base malts. If/when I decide to at least buy base malts in bulk, I will be looking at Canada Malting just based on my past experience with them.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2021, 09:33:12 am »
I do not buy in bulk and I do not care to order recipes online so I am at the mercy of my LHBS. I have been a bit more selective at choosing my grains there, asking what he has in stock. I have started going with Cara-malts over Crystal malts. I find Briess specialty grains ok, but looking for more flavorful base grains. I have been using Crisp Golden Promise a lot over the Briess 2 Row and Pale Ale Malt he carries. Sometimes I'll go for the Avengard Malts and he carries Muntons Marris Otter which is not the most flavorful either.

My old LHBS carried Canada Malting malts...those were very tasty. Very nice 2 row and Pale Ale base malts. If/when I decide to at least buy base malts in bulk, I will be looking at Canada Malting just based on my past experience with them.

hey, are you in canada?

i used to have a similar situation. my LHBS is friendly, but extremely basic. theyve barely updated their inventory over a whole decade. i mean, they really haven't at all.

i started ordering online, planning out usually 3 brews worth of stuff. 18 bucks shipping (arrives in 2 or 3 days also) is worth the cheaper prices online vs. LHBS and the selection is way way better. im pretty well done with my LHBS. They should have gotten better stuff.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2021, 09:44:12 am »

hey, are you in canada?

i used to have a similar situation. my LHBS is friendly, but extremely basic. theyve barely updated their inventory over a whole decade. i mean, they really haven't at all.

i started ordering online, planning out usually 3 brews worth of stuff. 18 bucks shipping (arrives in 2 or 3 days also) is worth the cheaper prices online vs. LHBS and the selection is way way better. im pretty well done with my LHBS. They should have gotten better stuff.

No, I'm in the Midwest of the US. My LHBS is pretty good, but I have been shopping online for at buying sacks of base malts. I brew mostly middle of the road ales, so a sack of a good 2 Row or Pale Ale Malt would do me for a good 1/2 dozen batches. The plan would be to buy one sack at time, work through that and try another.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2021, 01:14:55 pm »

hey, are you in canada?

No, I'm in the Midwest of the US. My LHBS is pretty good, but I have been shopping online for at buying sacks of base malts. I brew mostly middle of the road ales, so a sack of a good 2 Row or Pale Ale Malt would do me for a good 1/2 dozen batches. The plan would be to buy one sack at time, work through that and try another.

If you consider ordering online, try these folks...Texas Brewing Inc. This is where I buy my grain, with free shipping.

https://www.txbrewing.com/

They sell grain in any quantity you like, up to 55 lb bags. Did I mention free shipping?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 02:05:25 pm by TXFlyGuy »

Fire Rooster

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2021, 01:31:44 pm »

A quick search located-
http://www.sugarcreekmalt.com/ ,located in Lebanon, IN.
They sell 10lb bags, and in store pick up.
They also have 5 different smoked malts.
Their apple-wood smoked malt has my interest.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 01:51:09 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 07:09:04 am »
This is really cool to read.  I have been doing this since the 90's and i just got what was at my lhbs.  I need to pay more attention.  I have used GW base malt for most things and marris otter for malty styles.  And that is it.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2021, 09:29:33 am »

I have always made my own sweet orange peel by cutting oranges in quarters when eaten.   I usually collect orange peel during the winter because oranges are a reliable winter fruit and the lower humidity results in faster air drying times.  The reality is that if the fruit is not good, the peel is not good. 

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2021, 09:43:54 am »

I have always made my own sweet orange peel by cutting oranges in quarters when eaten.   I usually collect orange peel during the winter because oranges are a reliable winter fruit and the lower humidity results in faster air drying times.  The reality is that if the fruit is not good, the peel is not good.

A food dehydrator would be handy for you.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2021, 12:34:27 pm »

Use orange peels from organic oranges to avoid possible dye.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/are-oranges-dyed/

The clue is if all the oranges have the exact same color.
In my opinion, use the less eye appealing highly variant colored oranges.

I know a thing or two about oranges.  As a child my Grandmother would send my family a case
of grapefruit and oranges every year from Florida where she lived.  When I moved on my own
she continued to send them to me every year, she called the oranges by their cultivar, which
I've long forgotten.  Sometimes she would pick them herself.
They looked different than the orange balls sold in the supermarkets.
They also didn't have a very thick pith.

Gonna try this gizmo for dried orange peel next batch.
https://www.amazon.com/House-Again-Large-Infuser-Cooking/dp/B07T2YJKXQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=House+Again+Large+Tea+Ball+Infuser+%26+Cooking+Infuser+-+Extra+Fine+Mesh+Tea+Strainer+Screw+Top+18%2F8+Stainless+St&qid=1612689272&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 12:01:02 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2021, 01:13:45 pm »

I have a food dehydrator.  I do not use it during the winter because the humidity is very low; therefore, using it would be a waste of energy.   Orange peel usually dries to the touch in a day and becomes dry enough to break in half in two to three days. Plus, air dried orange peel tastes better than dehydrator-dried orange peel.  It noticed the same thing with homegrown hops.