Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SafeLager W-34/70 Question  (Read 9519 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
SafeLager W-34/70 Question
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2020, 09:52:17 am »
I direct pitch by filling the cone of the FV, add nutrient in the fermenter, pitch 1 gram per liter wort, wait a few minutes (clean something), then finish filling the FV.   (It’s illustrated in a screenshot from the Fermentis Tips and Tricks app in post #22 above)

This may indeed all be old info but I like the results I get using this method.

I did notice on the Lallemand site, they have a pitch rate calculator that recommends 29.67 grams (~ three packs) of Diamond in the same 5.5 gal (~21 liters) 1.057 wort.  That calculates to ~1.4 grams per liter.

I’ve not used Diamond but plan to soon.  ...but I’ll probably use my same 1 gram per liter (two packs).

Also, Label Peelers has really good prices on dry yeast and they ship it free (and fast).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:55:51 am by BrewBama »

TXFlyGuy

Re: SafeLager W-34/70 Question
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2020, 09:55:12 am »

Are you following current or past Fermentis guidelines?  AFAIK, what they have on their website is no longer what they recommend in person.  I also don't know now much difference it makes either way.

Following their current website info...

① Direct pitching:

easy to use

Pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel on the surface of the wort at or above the fermentation temperature. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available to avoid clumps. Ideally, the yeast will be added during the first part of the filling of the vessel; in which case hydration can be done at wort temperature higher than fermentation temperature, the fermenter being then filled with wort at lower temperature to bring the entire wort temperature at fermentation temperature.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2020, 09:55:49 am »
I brewed a Zum Uerige homage beer (1.048 OG) on Saturday (5.5 gallons); pitched two packets of 34/70 by sprinkling on top of the wort (at around 2 pm @ 54F) and it was showing no gravity change after 18 hours, but sometime thereafter, it started rocking.  That is, I didn't worry about it and this morning (Monday) the gravity reading was 1.034.  I suspect it will be done in about 6 days total, as usual.  Fast start, fast fart....YMMV and it probably won't be much of a final difference.  I know that when I re-pitch, I get a very quick start with just about any yeast, but that is probably the nuclear weapon analogy that S. Cerevisiae always talked about.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2020, 09:58:11 am »

Are you following current or past Fermentis guidelines?  AFAIK, what they have on their website is no longer what they recommend in person.  I also don't know now much difference it makes either way.

Following their current website info...

① Direct pitching:

easy to use

Pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel on the surface of the wort at or above the fermentation temperature. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available to avoid clumps. Ideally, the yeast will be added during the first part of the filling of the vessel; in which case hydration can be done at wort temperature higher than fermentation temperature, the fermenter being then filled with wort at lower temperature to bring the entire wort temperature at fermentation temperature.

Good on ya!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell