Author Topic: SafeLager W-34/70 Question  (Read 4559 times)

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: SafeLager W-34/70 Question
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2020, 12:58:29 pm »
Do people aerate with dry yeast?  In theory you don't need to, but regardless of how the beer turns out it could change the lag time.

I don’t understand - why would aeration NOT be necessary with a dry yeast over a liquid yeast?  I aerate my wort regardless of the type of yeast I use.  Is it not necessary to aerate with dry yeast?
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2020, 12:59:45 pm »
Per the Lallemand website, their Fermaid K should be stirred into the Wort just prior to yeast pitching.  I believe that boiling it destroys much if not all of it.

For normal applications, the recommended addition rate of Fermaid K is 25 grams per 100 liters.
Fermaid K should be dispersed (stirred) into the wort just prior to pitching the yeast.

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2020, 01:01:46 pm »
I don’t understand - why would aeration NOT be necessary with a dry yeast over a liquid yeast?  I aerate my wort regardless of the type of yeast I use.  Is it not necessary to aerate with dry yeast?

Both Lallemand and Fermentis now advise that it is not necessary at all to aerate the Wort prior to pitching their dry yeast products.  That requirement is now the sole domain of liquid yeast.  They are both OK with direct pitching without rehydration now also, after both did studies which concluded that there is little real world benefit gained by rehydration (after decades of saying that rehydration was a critical requirement).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:05:21 pm by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 01:12:40 pm »
Both Lallemand and Fermentis now advise that it is not necessary at all to aerate the Wort prior to pitching their dry yeast products.  That requirement is now the sole domain of liquid yeast.  They are both OK with direct pitching without rehydration now also, after both did studies which concluded that there is little real world benefit gained by rehydration (after decades of saying that rehydration was a critical requirement).

Old habits die hard and especially in the homebrew community it seems that if you challenge a method that someone has been using for a long time... often a method taught to them by someone they consider "expert", they tend to react defensively.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2020, 01:16:15 pm »
Do people aerate with dry yeast?  In theory you don't need to, but regardless of how the beer turns out it could change the lag time.

It has to do with how the yeast is dried.  From lallemand:

BRY-97 yeast has been conditioned to survive rehydration. The yeast
contains an adequate reserve of carbohydrates and unsaturated
fatty acids to achieve active growth. It is unnecessary to aerate
wort upon first use.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2020, 01:17:41 pm »

That’s fascinating information.  Do either of these manufacturers give a logical reason why it’s not necessary?  As I understood, oxygen is required for the yeast cells to multiply.  Now you have me thinking....
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2020, 01:23:26 pm »
That’s fascinating information.  Do either of these manufacturers give a logical reason why it’s not necessary?  As I understood, oxygen is required for the yeast cells to multiply.  Now you have me thinking....

Aeration is required such that certain aerobically produced lipids called sterols which are required of the yeast as precursors in order for them to produce alcohol get adequately produced by the yeast.  No sterols, no alcohol production.  Both dry yeast manufacturers state that fully sufficient of these requisit sterols are present within each package of their dry yeast.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:32:48 pm by Silver_Is_Money »

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2020, 01:52:51 pm »
The info is readily available on their website:

https://fermentis.com/en/tips-n-tricks/for-you-brewers/

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2020, 02:06:48 pm »
...and they state no nutrients needed:

I haven’t seen that no nutrients are needed in their information. Maybe I missed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wisdom is proved right by her deeds

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2020, 02:16:05 pm »

Nope, I don't.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2020, 02:17:41 pm »

Because when dry yeast is produced, it's growth is stopped during sterols production, so it's loaded with sterols.  The purpose of aeration is to allow the yeast to produce sterols. If they're already there, there's no need for aeration.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2020, 02:19:38 pm »
Per the Lallemand website, their Fermaid K should be stirred into the Wort just prior to yeast pitching.  I believe that boiling it destroys much if not all of it.

For normal applications, the recommended addition rate of Fermaid K is 25 grams per 100 liters.
Fermaid K should be dispersed (stirred) into the wort just prior to pitching the yeast.

While the Wyeast nutrient I use is supposed to be boiled.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2020, 05:27:28 pm »

Because when dry yeast is produced, it's growth is stopped during sterols production, so it's loaded with sterols.  The purpose of aeration is to allow the yeast to produce sterols. If they're already there, there's no need for aeration.

That makes sense.  I find it odd, however, that this discovery is recent.  I suppose it’s all part of the “science” aspect of this hobby and science is discovering new things every day.
Joliet, IL

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2020, 05:43:29 pm »

That makes sense.  I find it odd, however, that this discovery is recent.  I suppose it’s all part of the “science” aspect of this hobby and science is discovering new things every day.

I think there are 2 things at work here....the method of producing dry yeast has changed over the last 20 years.  And there's a persistence of dogma in the homebrew world that tends to make many homebrewers resistant to New info.  I know I got a lot of pushback after posting info about rehydration and aeration that came directly f4om biologists with the companies. Many homebrew "experts" simply repeat what they've heard without testing or looking into it.

www.dennybrew.com

TXFlyGuy

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2020, 06:14:48 pm »
...and they state no nutrients needed:

I haven’t seen that no nutrients are needed in their information. Maybe I missed it.

Pg. 13 under tips...Active Dry Yeast is rich enough in lipids and minerals for it's own multiplication process. Also, there is no requirement for adding O2 to the cooled wort.